Forum: Disco / Cozzies For Sale / Wanted

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Cozzies For Sale - Wanted
Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 05:03 AM

Once again, we have had a spate of members who have joined DDN essentially to rip off sellers.

It is far too easy for this to happen. Word is out amongst the disco community that you can have costumes sent out without payment or even deposit on this site. A new member joins, gets their 20 comments up as quickly as possible, mostly by posting about how interested they are in costumes, then when someone takes the bait, has a costume sent out to either a real or false address, never to be seen again (until it possibly turns up later after being sold to an unsuspecting buyer).

What can DDN do about it after the fact? Not much, unfortunately. We can (and have in the past) ban members for abuse of the boards, but this doesn't get your money or costume back. The only way after the fact is to get the police involved.

What can we all do to prevent this?

1. Arrange for costumes to be tried on only at competitions.

2. If you MUST send costumes out, only do so after receiving payment. A cheque in your hand isn't good enough, as payment can be stopped and cheques can bounce. Ideally, cheques should clear before the costume is sent.

3. Refund money for returned costumes immediately. This ensures goodwill between buyers and sellers.

4. Check the contact details given before sending costumes out. In a recent case, the school that was named as the one a fraudulent member attended, had never heard of the "real" name that was used by this member and wasn't even a competition school. Another school simply didn't even exist.

5. Read the Negative Feedback thread.

6. Keep an eye on the Administration board.

7. Mod-report any suspicious members or anyone breaking the posting rules on the For Sale boards. Yes, this means reporting people who say "Gorgeous cozzie!" Don't call them out on the boards, because then they'll know we're onto them and will be less likely to slip up. Mod-report them. It's quick and gets the message to the right people fast. This latest bust involved ten separate accounts and the only reason they were found in the first place is because one person mod-reported one of the accounts. However, costumes had unfortunately already been sent out and this didn't come to light until after many of the accounts were banned.

8. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. I know that sending out costumes without payment is the way you've always done it, but it makes you vulnerable to fraud and theft. Nobody should think any less of you if you begin a new way of doing things: a better and safer way.

Helen and the mod squad

46 Replies to Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!

re: Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 05:11 AM
Thanks for this Helen, i've just modded a few post on this parents board about this.

Helen
By sassyshena Comments: 245, member since Tue Mar 30, 2010
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 06:14 AM
i think its absoloutely rotten that people are doing that and it spoils it for all the genuine buyers using this site,good piece of information given out jacquie x
By angiegibbons7 Comments: 239, member since Tue Mar 29, 2005
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 06:20 AM
I have just been ripped off please read this before sending out any costumes.
Angie x
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 07:07 AM
Up to ten and possibly even more costumes have been appropriated over the last couple of weeks from the accounts involved in the latest bust. If this is not a reason to take heed of the above advice, then I don't know what is!

Helen
By moosey72member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 170, member since Wed Dec 26, 2007
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 07:22 AM
Yep and I am one of them. I have one very sad daughter xx lesson learnt
By JessiiWallis Comments: 170, member since Tue Jul 31, 2007
On Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:07 AM
We have just been ripped off for two solo costumes, have just got the police involved. The user name is sylviacloset so please dont send anything to this woman as it is a big scam.

Very upsetting and expensive lesson learnt!
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Fri Apr 30, 2010 05:44 AM
thanks
By MelFoleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1065, member since Sun Jul 19, 2009
On Sat May 08, 2010 03:08 PM
Fab post - Really helpful! I know that alot of dancers have had their costumes sent out and recived no payment! I think is sad that people would atually do this.

Melissa
xxxx
By allyh Comments: 207, member since Sat Jan 16, 2010
On Tue May 18, 2010 03:52 PM
this is really helpful info, im new to dance net myself and want to use it to sell a few suits so thanks for the tips, feel more confident about the process now
By tracybabe Comments: 403, member since Tue May 27, 2008
On Sat Jun 12, 2010 01:41 AM
very well written about time people realized we wont make it easy anymore Tracy xx
By lillea Comments: 16, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 PM
thanks for raising this i never new it happed and cant believe people would do this! x
By kerryD Comments: 632, member since Mon Jun 16, 2008
On Sat Jul 03, 2010 03:20 PM
I have bought and sold cozy on here without any problem and made friends this way especially one young lady who we have kept in touch on a regular bases (fb) and this is what this site is all about.. but isnt it a shame that there are scum bags out there doing their very best to soil this .
I read an earlier post by a Mod telling us that no longer take for granted the 'old' way so putting another cozy for sale i have done what i was told "ask for paypal" money up front..this will stop any timewasters or scum bags..please listen to these people and to be honest I am seriously considering withdrawing the sale and taking them to comps!
Sign of the times .. takes a rotten apple to spoil the basket of rosy one's..
By kaaaren Comments: 84, member since Tue Jun 03, 2003
On Sat Jul 24, 2010 04:25 PM
really good advice given here but if was wondering..... do potential buyers not mind paying upfront? I am new to this site and hope to post some cozzies for sale soon. Also can anyone tell me if you get the option to set up paypal when you start buying and selling cozzies? Appreciate any help on this, thanks, karen & kirsten x
By WendyD Comments: 481, member since Tue Aug 03, 2010
On Sun Aug 22, 2010 06:21 AM
Its such as shame isn't it.....We are new to this site and dancing in general as both of our kids started only a few months ago, so we have been looking quite a lot at outfits etc and the best and easiest way is to say "can i try it" then, "yes, it fits, heres your money, thanks" or "Sorry it doesn't fit, i've posted it back and thanks" but no, some horrible, thieving, disrespectful individuals who are in the minority spoil it for the majority.....as is usual these days.

Would school to school be something to look at, surely a lot of the teachers know each other and could maybe facilitate or at least clarify their pupils??
By Nightie90member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5816, member since Tue Oct 16, 2007
On Sun Aug 22, 2010 07:47 AM
Very helpful post! xx
By studio33Premium member Comments: 213, member since Sun Oct 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:15 AM
yip,new one S2010 samantha colins,supposed to be from dance supreme ireland ,2 costumes ,im sick for being so trusting
By loznowencozziesx Comments: 179, member since Sat May 01, 2010
On Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 AM
Thanks there are some helpful tips on here ,,, I will surely be making more careful decisions from now on x !
By debzieb Comments: 23, member since Mon Feb 01, 2010
On Tue May 17, 2011 06:22 AM
this is very useful information. some people re jut s horrible. the cost of these costumes and the money we spend on dancing and people do thi is disguting x

Comment #9569035 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-05-20 00:17:53 You already posted on the exact same sticky on another board. You don't need to post twice.

By lauramac Comments: 23, member since Wed May 11, 2011
On Sun May 22, 2011 09:15 AM
glad i have read this and know now to be weary. im only new to this and think its terrible when there are still a lot of genuine people wanting to buy costumes.

Comment #9827383 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2012-01-12 19:02:53 This is not the place to name and shame members. Please discuss your concerns with the moderating team first.

By stargirl1Premium member Comments: 3879, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Thu Jan 12, 2012 06:37 PM
great post i think if you dont now the buyer paypal is the best way to go xxxx
By Georgieporgie1 Comments: 77, member since Fri Nov 11, 2011
On Mon Feb 06, 2012 06:15 AM
just reading through this thread, as a buyer what is the best thing to do? can anyone advise, if a suit is getting sent out for my daughter to try, do i pay first, then get refunded if not suitable? is this what people do? thanks in advance! debbie
On Mon Feb 06, 2012 06:17 AM
As a buyer, your best form of protection is trying the suit on at a competition. Failing being able to go to the same comps, you would expect to pay for the suit and to get a refund if it does not fit. We ask sellers to post measurements so that you should be able to work out beforehand if it will fit or not.

Helen
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch