Popular Irish

Solo Dresses by essie1
Hi looking for a solo dress for my daughter it must be for a 16+ bust size 34, length 31~33. She...

Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Do you think Physical Education should count towards GPAs? en>fr fr>en
By twisted_dancer Comments: 1475, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:18 PM

Do you think your physical education mark should be counted towards your GPA?

I recently had a "discussion" with my friend about whether or not it should be. She was mad because she's physically unable to do certain parts of it and her grade suffered because of it. This dragged down her GPA. This could potentially pose problems if the Ministry of Education decides to make Phys Ed mandatory in grades 11 and 12 (this is in BC, Canada by the way). She argued that it's not really academic and therefore doesn't really matter in school. I argued that it doesn't matter if it's not academic, it's still a part of school, as much as certain Languages, Arts and other elective courses are.

What do you think? Actually, now that I think of it, what do you think of non-academic subjects counting towards your GPA, including phys ed?

18 Replies to Do you think Physical Education should count towards GPAs?

re: Do you think Physical Education should count towards GPAs? en>fr fr>en
By Gingercookie Comments: 275, member since Wed Jan 01, 2003
On Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:31 PM
Edited by Gingercookie (53187) on 2003-07-03 12:34:06
Eh? What do you mean she's 'physically unable'? What is your friend being asked to do that she can't do?

See, in my high school, and every other school I know of, your gym grade is based on a) dressing out; b) participation; c) tests/quizzes from the health portions. For me, phys ed is a GPA booster, so I'm not apt to get rid of it, if you know what I mean.

I know they have the fitness tests, and they really do not ask much of anyone at all, and I know that they don't even count towards your grade (and if they do, it's only "effort" or something).

Gym is the easy class... I guess I can see the argument that it has no point and is non-academic, but who wants to get rid of it? It's easy, it's easy to talk to your friends in that class, doesn't require you to do much at all... what's the problem?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15165, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Thu Jul 03, 2003 07:36 PM
I think they should. Those "easy" classes to one, might not be so easy to another though. I excelled in Gym, I loved Gym, in fact, I would be happy if they made it manditory for all grades (it's only manditory for games 6-9, in 9th you have to take a 9 weeks of gym and a 9 weeks of health, if you fail you have to take it again), I think that all classes should count towards your GPA, All of these classes are teaching you something, Gym to be healthy, band the music, art is..of course art, etc etc.

~*~Brittany~*~
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Thu Jul 03, 2003 09:08 PM
It doesn't count as part of the GPA at my school, even in high school. You get a report sent home to your parents along with your report card on how you did that season, what the team did, whether you were REALLY good, trying hard, or kinda pathetic. It's not really something that can be graded, you know, except for possibly on participation (which is required in middle school, or for moi, and for the first two years of high school). We do sports practices instead of P.E. during our P.E. periods.... maybe that's why.

~amarath~
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15165, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Jul 04, 2003 09:20 AM
Well see, down here PE is also a class, 9th grades as I said take PE 1/2 of a semester and every other day it's gym, the other it's book work, tests, worksheets, grade, etc. Then the next half of the semester it's Health and you're PE grade and your Health grade get averaged into one grade, and I think that is the good way to do it, because even if you are not good at Gym, you have class to pull that grade up.

~*~Brittany~*~
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:43 AM
Here it counts and it hurt my GPA greatly. My teacher was kinda sexist. There were 2 times i didn't dress out (on my period), but when i did dress out i did everything we were supposed to. But we had a lot of physical fitness testing that went greatly into the grade, and i'm not good at that kind of stuff, so it hurt my grade. ex: the mile. I cannot physically run one mile on a track in the heat. I just can't do it. so i didn't. If he had put me in a rooom on the treadmill and said "run a mile" i could have done it with a good grade, but i can't run in the heat outside, my lungs can't deal with it.
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6352, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Fri Jul 04, 2003 02:18 PM
I don't think it should. The whole point of getting a good GPA(besides the satisfaction and being smart, lol) is to get into a good college, and colleges don't care how you did in PE. Plus, not all people are good in PE. For example, my little sister who is 14 years old has Juvenile Rhuematiod Arthritis and has trouble being active. Instead of being put into the disabled PE at high school, she chose to do the regular PE because she wanted to be as normal as possible and push her limits. The school talked to the PE teacher and explained that she might need to sit out of things and not run and everything was okay. There were no problems. However, the teacher still gave my sister a B simply because she didn't ever run(and she couldnt!!!). It was so unbelievably wrong and now it hurts her GPA. This is just ridiculous. I don't think PE should count on your GPA.
By DancinQueen83member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 305, member since Wed Apr 10, 2002
On Fri Jul 04, 2003 02:26 PM
I strongly believe that Physical Education and other non-academic subjects should count towards GPA. A student should not be judged solely on academics, but on how well-rounded they are and their abilities in other areas. Just because you can pull off good grades in the academics does not necessarily mean that you will be an important contributing member of society.

Having said this, I also believe that most physical education classes need to be given a facelift. Instead of spending almost the entire time learning various sports, why not promote healthier living and teach students how to set up a fitness routine for themselves or teach them about proper nutrition? Given the present state of obesity in North America, I think the importance of PE class it stronger than ever!

It is also important that students not be graded only on how many laps they can run or how many pushups they can do, but on how much effort they put into class and how much they improve by the end of the semester. Students need to be encouraged to continue on with physical activity for the rest of their lives! Don't scare them away!
On Fri Jul 04, 2003 08:47 PM
"why not promote healthier living and teach students how to set up a fitness routine for themselves or teach them about proper nutrition"

See, that is why I like my school's PE class, because that is what they do, and we aren't judged on how many laps we can do, but if we participate and try instead of not dressing out or just showing no effort.

~*~Brittany~*~
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sat Jul 05, 2003 08:58 AM
I wouldn't mind mine affecting the GPA if it was based on effort, but it's not. In my class it was all about how far you could run, how many push-ups, curl-ups, etc... and i didn't feel that was fair because i tried harder than many of the girls and i got a lower grade because they run faster, to me that's not a fair grading system.
On Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:36 AM
It's not at all, and I don't think that's how PE should be ran. I've never had a PE class ran like that, in my schools in Georgia it's always been based on effort, I think there should be some "school district rule" or something or another that states that it is an effort grade.

~*~Brittany~*~
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:10 PM
I HATE PE. I hate it. In high school, I'm going to be a dance major - but I still have to take PE! I get quite enough physical activity as it is; I dance about eight hours a week during the school year (only five during summer), work out at the gym, and ride my bike often. Next year I get to take dance PE, which should be fun, but still - blech. We were never graded on ability though, it was basically "dress out, get good grades on the EASY tests, don't complain and you get an A". I never even participated much, I would mostly stand on the sidelines, but I didn't draw attention to myself - I doubt my teacher even knew my name! I do think it's dumb though. And our teacher was an idiot...
By ButterflyKiss_ Comments: 2564, member since Mon May 26, 2003
On Mon Jul 07, 2003 07:04 AM
Ugh. I don't think that PE should count towards GPA. I mean unless you plan on being an athlete it shouldn't really matter as much as learning languages and operations. If you are athletically coordinated or not doesn't matter when you are trying to get a decent job unless you plan on being an athlete. I hate the thought of it and I think it's very unfair.

Kelle_
By hilly11148 Comments: 2317, member since Mon Dec 31, 2001
On Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:48 AM
I think it should count. You need to at least be kinda active so you won't end up a 500 pound vegetable eating out 3 times a day. Effort should also affect the grade, because people with asthma, etc., aren't able to run the mile as fast or as easily as others.
By DancinQueen83member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 305, member since Wed Apr 10, 2002
On Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:32 PM
Edited by DancinQueen83 (25994) on 2003-07-07 12:33:09
Here's a question:

Do you think Dance class should count towards GPA? I think most of us would not have a problem with that, so why shouldn't PE count? Just because you don't like the class doesn't mean it's not important.
By balletbug Comments: 1827, member since Sun Sep 30, 2001
On Mon Jul 07, 2003 06:54 PM
If someone has a physical condition and is unable to do the exercises - He or She should let the teacher know, and the teacher shouldn't dock her grade for it.

I think, as long as the student participates as much as they can, they shouldn't be docked for it. However, from what you said, it sounds like your gym teacher is being a little unreasonable. When I was in high school, we were graded on whether we dressed for class and arrived on time. We also had written tests on physical health that factored in.
Re: en>fr fr>en
By SoccerJock Comments: 326, member since Fri Jun 21, 2002
On Tue Jul 15, 2003 03:04 AM
Yes, I think they should count towards your GPA because it is in hopes to create more rounded students. In my school, you are graded on three things: dressed down, participation, and tardiness. Basically, if you show up on time, dressed in PE clothes, and participate you get an A. You don't neccessarily have to be a good athlete, it is just trying.

Soccer Jock
By rainbowfish Comments: 163, member since Wed Feb 26, 2003
On Tue Jul 15, 2003 04:14 PM
I kind of have mixed feelings about it. I'm not athletic in any way so having it count towards my GPA was very aggravating. PE at my high school was not based on effort and participation. Our final exam was running the mile. Our grade was determined by how fast we could run. Though we were given a grade boost if we ran the whole time. If it were based solely on effort and what not I would probably be okay with it. It's just really annoying when someone has a really high GPA and all they really take is gym type classes, but you're taking really hard math and science but yours is not all that high.
On Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:19 PM
Hm, here you don't choose if you get to take advanced, gifted, or regular level classes, the teacher that taught you the year before does, and if your parents think you can handle to go up a step, the counsler will let you. The only other gym classes we have other than the 9th grade PE are actual Gym where you're in the gym everyday for a semester and weight training, which is usually in the weight room, at times in the Gym. I wish every school was set up like mine with Gym being an effort thing. If I had to run a mile for my final exam, I'd get a low grade, but my friend Philip has the country record for the mile and would get a really high grade because he can run fast. It's unfair and Gym should be based on effort.

There are so many screwed up school systems...

~*~Brittany~*~

ReplySendWatch