Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Prominade and centering questions
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 02, 2010 01:12 AM

I have a section in a piece where I do a prominade with my partner, the problem is that I kind of jumped into this move without learning it thinking it was "easy" but it's not.

Here is my problem, with my regular partner, I keep falling off balance. There's another guy that I dance with and he's an amazing professional and when he turns me around I rarely go off balance. I know that when I pique to attitude and I'm over my center at the very start, he gets me around without any problems. But with my regular partner, we can't get around even once and I don't know what I'm suppose to do and what he is suppose to do.

Help? Tips?

6 Replies to Prominade and centering questions

re: Prominade and centering questions
By ballerinepetite
On Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 PM
Maybe the reason you're falling off with the amateur dancer is because he isn't supporting you enough? I know I've had frustratios with partners that were too "Scared" to hold me more securely, and just kind of placed their hands on my hips or something. Think of using your abdominals to sustain your balance, what I find helps me keep my balance is making sure I'm using my hamstrings and abdominals, and also, looking straight ahead, over my hand.
By BalletdogPremium member
On Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 AM
Sandra, I concur with all the comments above^. I'll add that, as you suspect, the rest of the problem is probably with your partner. Being the male supporting a hand-held promenade is relatively difficult for him.
- The guy has to provide you a very solid arm and hand throughout the promenade, so you can use it as a "barre" to continually keep yourself upright and correctly in your attitude pose.
- Be sure you both agree on how you hold hands: 1)Some ladies like the handshake hold, 2)others like my hand held palm almost straight up, on which they rest their hand (bearing some weight on my hand), and 3)still other ladies like us to take a modified handshake hold, where each of us is extending the index finger and the one next to it, so these two straightened fingers are up tight against the other partner's wrist (the third and fourth fingers are curled around the partner's hand)
- The guy also has to maintain the same (constant) distance from you as he promenades you around. This takes practice for the guy to get good at. Beginner guys wobble in and out from the girl when first trying to learn the hand-held promenade.
- I've also found it noticably helps if I hold my chest very solid as I promenade the lady. I don't really know why this helps, just that it does. Perhaps it provides more stability to my body, which translates to more stability to the girl.

The hand-held promenade just takes practice, practice, practice, both on the girl's part (although it sounds like you've already got it), and on the boy's part.

Good luck,

Rick
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 07, 2010 01:22 AM
I still think it's some of my fault, the professional tends to correct me if I get soft or out of balance during the promenade so we make it through most of the time. My regular partner and I do the handshake, he thinks it's because I'm not holding stiff on my supporting leg through the core and to the arm. Sometimes I feel like he's farther from me and at times closer, when he gets farther I can feel the turn going faster and fall out of it. To make matters worse, we don't get much time to practice together and we have to perform this in two weeks.
On Sat May 08, 2010 12:26 PM
You say you have to perform it in two weeks, and you haven't got it down yet. Could you substitute a waist-supported promenade, where he holds your waist?...it's quite a bit easier for both the guy and the girl. If so, be sure your standing leg is the leg next to him - don't have your working leg (in attitude or arabesque) be the leg next to him.

That said...regarding the hand-held promenade:
- He must be holding the same side hand as is the side your standing leg is on. That is, if you're standing on your right leg, then it must be your right hand that is being held. (If you're standing on your right leg and he's holding your left hand, that is much much harder.
- You have to work to keep your standing leg foot correctly centered in your pointe shoe box. That is, do whatever you must do to keep your standing foot from rolling either towards your small toe, or too much towards your big toe. This is where you have to do the work...using his hand as a "barre," you need to keep your standing foot correctly centered within the box.
- You also should be very solid, holding your attitude pose with solidity. He needs you to be solid as a "board" so he feels like he's moving a single solid object through the promenade.
- Your less experienced partner would, in my opinion, need quite a bit more practice to really get his part in the hand-held promenade. Just the fact that he wobbles in and out from you as he does the promenade, tells me that he hasn't yet been able to truly integrate that pas step into his muscle memory and conscious awareness...Conscious awareness: as I do the promenade, I can see the slightest motion towards or away from my partner, so I correct myself almost before it happens.

Bottom line on your part: 1) keep your body solidly held in the attitude pose, including proper position of your shoulders and back, and 2) keep your standing foot correctly centered within your toe shoe box...

Hope this helps,

Rick
By loveballet101
On Mon May 10, 2010 06:43 PM
Watch his eyes as you go around and be sure to communicate with him

Make sure he isn't walking too fast and your body's getting left behind

Keep your whole body, torso, chest and hips, all in one solid block...Don't allow him to turn your upper body without rotating your leg

Keep your right arm (if you are standing on your right leg) VERY still...don't change the distance at all between him and you...And be sure he isn't moving closer or farther away during the promenade

Press into his hand...don't be afraid to give him weight...it'll only help
On Wed May 12, 2010 02:33 AM
Sandra, loveballet101's comments right above^ are all very important when doing the hand-held promenade. In fact, I would say loveballet obviously has a lot of experience with this promenade, and she clearly knows the girl's role in this promenade.

Rick

ReplySendWatch