Feature: Ballet / Ballet - General

Get The Pointe #37 - Meet Briana! (karma: 1)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun May 02, 2010 10:24 PM
Edited by AlwaysOnStage (90901) on 2010-05-02 23:12:27 Markup Problems
Edited by webheadmaster (251) on 2010-05-03 16:02:16 Make feature

DDN Name: Briana
Member Since: 2001, but was a member way back when registering wasn't necessary!
Years Dancing: On and off 20 years

An inspiring and wonderfully insightful interview from a long-time dancer and member of DDN. Briana, thank you for a terrific interview.

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/headshot.jpg'
Briana's Headshot

The Basics 

What age did you begin dancing, and what was the first style of dance you studied?
I started at about age 5 and started with a combination of ballet and tap, but I only really loved tap at first, because it was fun to make so much noise!  I didn't start to adore ballet until I was much older, early in high school.

Why did you continue your training as a dancer from that beginning?
My experience with ballet leading up to high school was definitely on and off.  I had a love-hate relationship with dance because of the way it took me away from my life, and everything became engulfed by dancing.  I didn't like that when I was younger, but when I settled into that life and started accepting that dance could be a life on its own, I started to love it more.

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/briballetbaby.jpg'
Little Dancer Briana

What are the styles of dance have you studied, and what do you study now? 
 This is really sad, actually!  Since 2001, all I really ever did was ballet.  Actually, that's not true...this year I learned some hip hop, breakdancing, bhangra, and salsa!  But it was just dabbling, and ballet is truly still my number one true love.  If I don't dance for a week, I feel really off and get super moody (just ask my husband!).

Why study more than one style? What do you like about each style? 
 Even though it's hypocritical of me to say so, because I didn't do a lot of diversification, I see the young girls at my conservatory learning character, jazz, and modern from a young age.  I think it's just a necessary part of dance for our generation to be well-versed in so many different things, because you never know what type of job you will get or what a choreographer will throw at you, and you absolutely MUST be able to pick it up.  That said, taking other forms can keep you from ballet burnout, which is important too.

Do you prefer classical ballet or modern choreography? 
 I guess that depends on what you consider  "modern."  I love Twyla Tharp and Balanchine works, and to me those are semi-modern.  I of course adore the classic choreography of Petipa and the like, because I think there is such a beautiful and sweet simplicity and cleanness to the classical works and the technique it relies upon.  

That said, I was trained by Karen Williamson, formerly with ABT, whose mother, Maxine, danced with the Ballet Russes de Monte Carlo.  Thus I have a very conservative ballet perspective and I would much, MUCH rather see the artistry of a perfectly shaped romantic arm in "Les Sylphides" than see a 180-degree extension with no expression.

To be quite frank, some of the modern stuff freaks me out. I know we need progress and all, but I once saw a piece (performed by a company in Colorado which shall remain nameless!) where the dancers took off one pointe shoe and slowly walked across bubble wrap, and it was popping really slowly and loudly with no music.  It was bizarre and I had a really hard time not laughing! Does that make me a bad person? I mean, I'm all for making dance more audience-friendly, but I think that just weirded people out!!!

If someone asked you, "Why Dance?" what would your answer be?
Because dancing is a physical expression of that which cannot be expressed through words. 
Plus it gives me some great abs! ;)

Why is ballet an important part of your life? 
 I think that anything you to as much as I've done ballet becomes a part of you.  Ask any athlete: swimmers, runners, dancers...and we will all have the same answer.  It becomes your release, your fallback, your comfort, and your absolute happiness.  Even though a bad day can be absolutely devastating, the feeling of a good class or a great performance is like nothing else in the world.  I wouldn't give up that feeling, or the work that goes along with it, for anything.

Did your parents make you start dancing? Was your mom a dancer, and did she push you to go further and do better?  
 From what I can remember, I wanted to start dancing.  My parents had us in vocal and piano lessons, which I hated, and I had a lot of friends who did ballet.  My parents never pushed me into ballet; in fact, there were times that they definitely didn't fully approve of how much time (and money!) it demanded.  That said, my parents are very supportive.  My mom is even trying to learn to make a pancake tutu for my upcoming Nutcracker performance in 2010!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/familylove.jpg'
The blessing of a supportive family.

Is there an embarrassing ballet-related moment that you'd like to share? 
 Oh, too many. They include a bodice coming unsnapped after a lift in the middle of a dress rehearsal (not a show, thank goodness!) and this little gem from a few years ago, which we were so fortunate to catch on tape (turn the volume up!)...let's just say I was very fortunate to have a kind and understanding pas partner!
 www.youtube.com . . .

Class and Training 

Describe a typical day in your life. 
Because I'm not dancing professionally any longer, my days vary.  I'm currently getting my Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from UC Irvine, so that typically takes up a large part of my day with studying and attending classes.  I'm also interning at my dream company, Disney, in Anaheim, so I'll usually do a few hours of work each day there.

Ballet-wise, I'm taking classes 4-5 times a week at a studio in Irvine called The Maple Conservatory.  It has an amazing program for adults, and I get to take classes with Charles Maple, who is an amazing and inspiring teacher (formerly with ABT).  Then I come home to my wonderful husband, Dr. Dave, who is about to become a 4th-year medical student.  He is so supportive and loving and caring; he rubs my feet after a pointe class and checks up on me to make sure I'm staying healthy. He is such a hero of mine!

What do  you normally wear to class? What are some of your favorite dance accessories?
I'm funny with classwear. I rotate through outfits that I'll wear for a week or two and then switch (though I wash them in between, of course!!!).  Right now the standard outfit is a light blue cap sleeve leo with black tights, the new wool Gaynor Minden warmup tights (AMAZING!), and a pair of trashbag shorts on top.  I'm definitely a junk wearer, but it's only because I used to always have to wear pink tights and a black leo, so wearing the junk is a fun change for me.  Plus, the weight I've gained over these last few years is much easier to hide with some nice nice cozy warmups!

My last fallback outfit was trashbag pants (catching a theme here?), an oversized wool sweater, and my Bloch down-filled slippers. Then again, that was a month ago when it was freezing!

How much time do you dance during the week? (in class, out of class?) 
Usually about 10-14 hours.  I wish I could do more, but my body won't let me, and neither will my schedule!

Do you study Vaganova, Cecchetti, RAD...etc? 
I was trained on strict Vaganova, by a Russian teacher, no less.  Maple uses the ABT technique, so adjusting to that has been interesting.  What drives me the most crazy is the Balanchine pirouette with a straight back leg! What is that?? It's so hard for me to do that, but I think it's important to know the differences between techniques and at least attempt them, even if you're only strong in one type.

How do you prepare for class? (i.e. stretching, conditioning, mental techniques, etc.) 
 I usually get to class about half an hour early and warm up my body by running through a couple of variations, just marking, to warm up my legs and core.  After my muscles are nice and warm, I sit on the floor next to the barre and go through a floor barre designed by my late teacher Ms Williamson, which is designed to emphasize the engagement of the turnout muscles (mainly the iliopsoads).  To truly do the whole thing takes about an hour, but I usually condense it down to about 15 minutes to half an hour for the sake of time.

After warming up, I stretch on the floor (never on the barre before class, it's too harsh for my 25-year-old body to start out that way) focusing on my calves, hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors.  I have a pretty serious right hip injury that requires some serious warmup.  Keeping the trashbag shorts on helps keep that hip nice and sweaty and mostly pain-free, so I keep them on when I can.

What does it mean to you to get corrections in class? And what are the most common corrections you receive? 
 I LOVE getting corrections.  When I was young I hated people staring at me but now I realize that it's for the good of my technique so I take them with an open mind.  It's often said that it's a compliment to receive corrections in class, and I fully agree with that.  If your teacher doesn't see promise in you, it's unlikely that they will waste much time on corrections...so always take them.  

It's not just about listening, either. Truly show that you are engaged with your teacher when they are giving you corrections by trying the movement with the suggested correction and even repeat it back to them so they know you're listening.  They love that!

I usually am told to keep my hip down during developpe in all directions. I'm really bad about that because of my injury, but it's something I have to constantly work on.  I also need to USE MY PLIE more!  Sometimes I do a glissade and realize I didn't plie at all... bad, bad ballet student!!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/brigiselle.jpg'

What's your favorite? Adagio, Allegro, Barre, or Petite Allegro, and why?
Barre is by far my favorite part of class.  It makes me feel centered, healthy, sweaty, and square.  It sets me up for a good class and a good day.  I feel I'm strong and confident at barre, and that makes me happy.  Barre also has a calm sensation to it, and is predictable...you know what's coming next, you know how to set yourself up for it, and I like that sense of knowing!

My second favorite is petite allegro, because I'm small with short(ish) legs which isn't particularly pretty in adagio but lets me feel nice and spry in petite allegro!  I also have nice ballon and doing the small jumps makes me smile at myself in the mirror because I think I look like a little sprite bounding across the floor! :)

What are your favorite steps or combos from ballet class? 
 I love balance and ecarte, so my favorite combination would probably be something like this:
Balance left, right, develope ecarte derriere (with right leg), tombe pas de bouree, glissade, sout de chat, pique arabesque, run run run run (lol), and a series of single-single-double piques across the floor.

I also really enjoy menage piques, they are just such a joy when you're having a good turning day!

After you've had a bad day, what motivates you to go to class? Does it lift your spirits? 
A bad day IS what motivates me to go to class! It's a way for me to lift myself up and remind myself that there is more to life than sitting behind a computer, traffic, and trying to make more money.  I feel like I can breathe at ballet and I can be myself.  And knowing that is motivating enough for me.

Have you gone to a Summer Intensive (SI) before? 
Yes, I attended CPYB and Colorado Ballet several times.  I adored CPYB, what a great (and exhausting!) experience!  I highly recommend it if you have the chance.  Even older ballet students (I think up to 22 years old) are welcomed at CPYB, which is awesome, and they put you up in a great dorm away from the little ones so you don't feel so locked down!

What sort of things do you do at home that help your dancing? 
I do pilates and yoga every once in a while, and use the theraband for my feet.  I should definitely do those things more, and I REALLY should do my floor barre more often.  The floor barre helps keep me from injuring myself by keeping the right muscles strong, and that can only be a good thing!

What's in your dance bag? Can we see a picture? 
Absolutely!  Right now it's my flat technique shoes, an almost-dead pair of Capezio pointe shoes, scissors, moleskin, my toe jellies, iron supplements, ibuprofin, Emergen-C, chapstick, pliers, a theraband, and various warmup gear.  I used to carry more, but when you only do one or two classes at a time (vs. pre-pro and being at the studio ALL DAY), you don't need to keep as much with you.

Also can't do without my iPod right before class, preloaded with Iron & Wine, City and Colour, William Elliott Whitmore, and other folk rock.  Love the banjo.

I just downsized my ballet bag, and I can't be happier. I used to have EVERYTHING in there!!! I do still keep my practice tutu in my trunk though.

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/dancebag.jpg'

What is your secret energy booster?
Bananas and almond milk.  It's a great one-two punch of potassium, protein, and carbs, like a magic combination.  It keeps me going through that second ballet class without weighing me down!

What was the biggest obstacle that you encountered in ballet and how did you overcome it? How has it helped you become a better dancer? 
I had to retire at 19, and that was probably the hardest thing ever.  I was in college and was about to start dancing with a company when I learned that I had osteoarthritis in my right hip.  The doctors said that because I was so young, danced so much, and it was progressing so quickly, that if I decided to continue dancing I would have to get a hip replacement in my late 20s.  That was such a frightening thing to hear, not to mention shocking.  I knew I had been in pain but thought it may be tendonitis or something like that, which lots of my dancer friends had.

Making the decision to stop training to be pro was difficult.  I had to really remove myself for about a year and a half because it was too hard for me to even dance without just feeling such loss.  As I got more into school and started doing things I'd never done before (snowboarding, tennis, even just hanging out with friends!) I realized that it may have been a blessing in disguise.  It's allowed me to try so many new things that I may have never gotten around to otherwise, and I wouldn't want to look back and realize my life had been about one thing and one thing only. 

In coming back to class, I also realize that it has allowed me to remove myself from the competitiveness of it.  Instead of constantly comparing myself with other dancers, as I used to do when I was pre-pro, I know that it is more wise and will keep me more sane to set mini-goals, like really getting a clean triple pirouette or being able to do 32 echappes without being tired.  Dancing for myself became what I wanted to do rather than dancing for others.

What dance goals are you currently working towards, and what future goals do you have? 
I'm trying to get all the way through the Dying Swan.  It's a beautiful variation and very challenging, especially in its artistry.  I'll keep you all posted with my progress!  More long term, I want to be able to do fouettes on pointe again.  I haven't tried them in about 5 years, and I'm so scared but so anxious to try them again!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/foottorture.jpg'
[size=small]The torture that dance can be![/size] 

Do you ever get pressured by your studio to look a certain way? Do you disagree with studios that do this? 
 At my old studio (which I won't name because this isn't the greatest reputation to have), there was a scale in the dressing room that had a sign hanging over it that said "Skinny."  That was kinda messed up!  Also, my teacher once picked up a chair and did petite allegro with it to demonstrate how losing weight helps you do petite allegro better.  I don't agree with that method.  If I owned a studio, I would encourage healthy eating and a natural weight.  I'd also implement a mandatory 30 minute nutrition class each week where the dancers could discuss body issues and have a comfortable, supportive environment to discuss any problems or thoughts.

How many pairs of pointe shoes do you have? What is your favorite brand and style of pointe shoes (and why are they your favorite?)
Usually I rotate two pairs. I use gaynors for technique classes and a traditional paste shoe for pointe class to keep my feet strong.  I would use paste all of the time, but my bunions are too bad these days to allow that.  

My favorites are Freeds, but because I'm on a grad student budget, I've been using Capezios, which are actually pretty good.  I've also used Grishkos, Russian Pointe, and Bloch.   I can adapt pretty easily to whatever shoe, but I prefer a softish shank and a hard box!

How do you treat your body after a series of hard classes? What do you give back to your body?
I call my hubby on the way home and have him put the teapot on!  Then when I get home, I brew a hot chamomile tea and dump some epsom salts and essential oils (usually rose or tea tree) into a hot bath.  Soaking in a hot bath always makes me feel better.  Then I usually massage my feet with a peppermint foot lotion and put socks on, to give my aching feet a little love!

In general, I try to treat my body well nutritionally so that I can stay strong and healthy.  I avoid soda, fried foods, and high fructose corn syrup (debated as it may be), and rarely eat red meat (actually, my husband and I are vegetarian this month to reduce our "eco footprint").  Bananas are my fallback food, especially as a snack between classes.  Nature's perfect food, indeed!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/rehearsal.jpg'

What are your current goals as a dancer? (Stronger legs, turns, musicality, mastering harder variations, attract interest from a ballet company?)
Because a professional career is no longer an option for me, my goal is mostly to maintain my current strength and improve my artistry.  I know that at this point, it's not likely I will get 180-degree extension or 4 pirouettes on pointe, so I create goals that are achievable for me. 

As I mentioned, seeing a beautifully expressive and emotional variation really speaks to my heart and I strive to recreate that, both in my variations and even during simple combinations during class.  I am striving to see each class as a performance and complete the movement with my facial expressions, fingertips...everything.  It's actually very challenging!

Where do you see yourself in the future, regarding your dancing?
I know that I will continue dancing as long as my body allows it.  I am so thankful that I'm able to dance even now, and pain free for the majority of the time.  That said, I know there will come a time when I will not be able to maintain the pace I am going now; when that time comes, I can only hope that I can continue dancing on an occasional basis.  It will always be a part of me, and a part of my life. 

Do you have experience choreographing, or directing and technical stage, or doing backstage work? 
I've choreographed two works; one is a pas de deux and the other a mishmash of styles that was choreographed for a fundraiser. In terms of directing, I haven't done a lot (yet!) but this winter I will be helping direct a version of The Nutcracker in Colorado.  I can't wait for that new challenge!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/stretch.jpg'
Stretching during class.

Performance 

What was your first dance performance and what was your role in it? How old were you? 
 My first stage performance was a recital.  We danced to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and I just remember it involved this elaborate turns section!  I think I was about 14 when I did my first show, because my studio didn't emphasize performing; they were more of a technique studio.

Do you have any pre-performance rituals? 
 Yes! I usually will have a venti hot tea from Starbucks with one bag of Refresh and one bag of China Green Tips.  It perks me up without giving me a jolt, and the mint is calming.  I also usually wear the same sweatshirt to warm up that I've worn for years; it's an oversized thing that's super faded, but it's warm and it's become kind of a ritual.

Doing my makeup and hair before a performance is another ritual for me.  I love the feeling of getting ready for a show; sitting there in the dressing room (sipping my tea!), and mechanically putting on each part of the makeup in order relaxes me.  I usually will do my makeup first, followed by hair, and then a makeup touchup.  Once I've done that, I take myself through a full barre and stretch, which I try to time in a way that I'm done almost right before I go onstage.  Tiara always goes on last. =)

What is your biggest fear during a performance? 
Falling, of course!  More than that, it is a fear of underperforming.  I hate the feeling of coming offstage knowing that I could have done better or had done better the night before.  It's so disappointing!  Aside from that, pirouettes onstage always scare me, because they're the thing I'm most likely to fall while doing!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/waltz3.jpg'

When you are on stage, how do you experience the performance? Do you lose yourself in the role (enjoying your experience without worrying about technique) OR are you concentrating on the steps more and worried about technique OR do you just say to yourself forget about everything and dance from the 'heart'?  
 Right before the curtains go up, when my butterflies are at their peak, I usually just remind myself over and over how much I love performing, how good it feels, and the fact that these people have paid to see me.  Then I put myself into character (which is easier in some ballets than others; for example, Giselle is an easy character for me to get into, as I feel I share a lot of personality traits with her.  However, it's hard to get into character for a ballet such as Les Sylphides!).  I truly have to keep myself in that character throughout the performance, even during intermission, so that I can be expressive in my face and true to the feelings of that character.

I don't think technique should ever be "forgotten" onstage, but it should be sufficiently second nature that you can forget about it mentally and allow your muscles to take over while your brain focuses on the role you are playing.

What variation would you love to do or inspires you the most? 
 Dying Swan, by far.  Especially since I've begun learning it; doing all those bourees while maintaining the graceful and elegant upper body is SUCH a challenge!  It truly feels like you're dying, so acting out that part isn't hard. ;)  Its difficulty inspires me to try harder, get stronger, and complete it.

If you could perform in any ballet in any role, what would it be and why?
My dream role would be Odette/Odile...I've never performed it, but it would be SO difficult!  I know it is 100% unattainable for me, but in a perfect world...it would be that role.

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/bripaquita.jpg'

Do you remember the first time you performed ballet on stage? What was it like? 
I usually don't remember much of my time onstage during performances (something about the bright lights, the nerves...I just get offstage and don't remember much!), and this holds true for my first real role in a full-length ballet (Willi and peasant in Giselle).  The only part of that ballet I remember are the chugs across stage in the second act going on forever!!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/bripaquita2.jpg'  

Philosophical Questions  

What sacrifices have you made for ballet? 
 I think when I was young, I sacrificed learning a lot of "normal kid" things: I still don't know how to dive into a pool, I never played sports, didn't watch movies, didn't ski (and I lived in Colorado!)...normal kid things.  I also sacrificed quite a few boyfriends who couldn't take the pressure of competing with ballet!  Good thing my husband is so awesome!  

However, I think the things that ballet kept me away from are equally as important.  I saw a lot of friends in high school and college fall victim to drugs and alcohol, and ballet has always kept me so hyper-focused on my health that I never touched any of those things.  And that is something I DEFINITELY did NOT miss!

What sacrifices has your family made so that you can dance? [b]
 Obviously there's the financial sacrifice.  Fact is, ballet is not a cheap hobby. When I was training pre-pro, I went through a pair of pointe shoes a week and had private lessons for variations on top of regular tuition.  Add costume expenses, travel costs...and it really adds up.  I really am fortunate that my parents were willing to support me financially in that endeavor, even though they didn't necessarily think it would be the most beneficial experience for me.

[b]Does dance affect your social life in any way? How? Do your friends understand? 

Of COURSE it does!  I have a t-shirt from my studio that says "I Can't, I Have Rehearsal."  It's so true.  When you have class for 5 hours on Friday night, rehearsal all day Saturday (and sometimes Saturday nights), you're either at the studio or tired.  The last thing I ever want to do is go out with my friends after a long day of dance! I need to be at home and recharge after a day like that.  It's difficult, and I definitely did not have a social life in any way in high school or college.  My parents thought it was so weird that I would come home for the weekends, go to ballet class, and sleep...they were like, "don't college students stay at the dorm?!"  But they always welcomed me home.  

Nowadays, it's the same old story.  If I'm not at school or work or with my hubby, I'm dancing, and it's not something I'm willing to sacrifice to go to a bar. 

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/whitedress2.jpg'

If you could meet any dancer, who would it be? 
 Anna Pavlova...I'd love to hear her talk about the Dying Swan, her experiences, and her life in general.

What do you eventually want to do with ballet? Can you see yourself using it as a springboard to other related careers?
 Absolutely! I actually am working as a marketing intern with the Maple Conservatory right now. I do their YouTube podcasts, which is great fun, but no way to make a living.  I'd love to own my own studio one day, but it's so difficult. Making a profit is always a struggle, and I don't know if I have the strength, or means, to handle that.  But if not, I'm happy just dancing.

Do you have any books or movies about ballet or dance that you would like to share?
 I like the Dancer's Body Book by Allegra Kent just because it's a hilariously outdated view of nutrition.  She tells you to eat like, a cup of coffee and half a cantaloupe for breakfast.  How is that healthy!?

Have you ever thought about not doing ballet? What kept you going? 
 Yes. YES. Almost every time I have a bad class I think, "why do I keep doing this..." but like I said, it's a part of my identity.  I wouldn't be myself as a whole without ballet.  Plus it's great exercise, it's an artistic outlet...it's everything I need in my life that I can't get elsewhere.  Going to the gym drives me bonkers; I do not have patience for the treadmill!

If you could change anything about ballet, what would it be, and why? 
 The antiquated perspective on pointe shoes.  I really hate when people refer to Gaynors as "cheater shoes."  It's like, every other sport has these special shock absorbers, high-tech equipment...why are we using essentially the same shoe they were using 80 years ago?!  Ballet tends to get stuck in tradition too much and look down on any type of modernization.  Gaynors might not be necessarily the best design, but I do think that pointe shoes deserve to be updated, especially for those of us with bunions and older feet!

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/lincolncenterarabesque.jpg'
Arabesque at Lincoln Center

What is one tip that you would love to share with other DDNers? 
 Please, please, please, take care of your bodies.  They are your best instrument and all you have.  If you treat it well, it will treat you well back.  But if you abuse it, starve it, hate it...you are fighting your body and no good can come of that.  Feed yourself well and love your body.  Eat organic, local, in-season produce.  Eat meat sparingly.  Consume whole grains like they're going out of style.

And BUY AMERICAN (if you live in the U.S.!), consarn it! We are digging ourselves into a hole in America by depending too much on foreign goods, expecting to get everything cheaply from China, and then getting angry when the Chinese death cloud comes over here (their cancer-causing smog from manufacturing is already reaching the West coast of the U.S.).  Just suck it up, pay the $2 extra, and buy Made in America.  And demand that your favorite stores provide you American-made options.

The end.  ::steps off platform::

Image hotlink - 'http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/alwaysonstage/briattitudemexico.jpg'

How does it feel to be featured in Get the Pointe? 
Strangely calming.  It's like looking into yourself in a deep self-study! Things I've never thought of before.  Plus, I'm now inspired to go to class....

14 Replies to Get The Pointe #37 - Meet Briana!

re: Get The Pointe #37 - Meet Briana!
By pols
On Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 PM
Absolutely amazing interview. I'm feeling really down right now because I've been out of class for over a week with a back injury and this interview made me smile again.

Briana, you are an inspiration, a beautiful dancer, and I admire the balance you've found in your life. You've also made me feel much less terrible about missing class because I really do have to let my body heal.

The photos are stunning, by the way!
By GabbiDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 PM
Loved this interview. I felt like I really knew that girl, like she was standing beside me. Briana, you are amazing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
xoxGabbi
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 03, 2010 12:15 AM
Amazing interview! I loved it SO SO much, and found I could relate to a lot of it, which is always nice.

Thanks so much,
Briana, you seem like a beautiful person!
By heranimalgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 03, 2010 09:24 AM
This was such an inspirational interview, I feel like I really got to know Briana as a dancer!

You are beautiful, Briana!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 03, 2010 09:30 AM
It might just be me being weird but I loved the pic of you bleeding through your tights and shoes.
By spoogysproutsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 03, 2010 09:42 PM
Great interview!! I feel like I really know her! Beautiful photos as well! Your lucky to have such a supporting family and husband!
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 AM
Love this interview.

and on a side note, I'm pretty sure I know the blond guy partnering you in Les Sylphide... (Matthew? If so, I've definitely danced with him before lol)
By taranne89
On Wed May 05, 2010 07:45 AM
Fantastic interview! Your lines are so beautiful!
By rosalinde
On Wed May 05, 2010 09:00 AM
Lovely interview. That video was so funny, poor guy!
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 09, 2010 10:54 AM
Shes so inspiring!! I can relate to her in so many ways, great interview =)
By dancingqueenking
On Mon May 24, 2010 09:00 PM
Thank you for sharing the pictures and experiences. It is not easy to be an excellent dancer like you. Study from you! Thank you.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 28, 2010 03:20 PM
Briana, I've always admired you and this is an excellent interview. Thanks to both you and AlwaysOnStage.
By adultbeginner
On Fri May 28, 2010 10:01 PM
Thank you very much :)
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:17 PM
amazing pictures! Loved the giselle pic!

ReplySendWatch