Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Musical pirates
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 PM

Warning: Link contains some PG13 language.
www.cracked.com . . .

We've all heard of some high profile musos who've been taken to court on account of ripping off someone else's riffs (famous example: George Harrison was sued for using The Chiffons' "He's So Fine" in his song "My Sweet Lord") but there are many who get away with it and make a load of money from plagiarising others' ideas.

The linked article outs some of these bands. If you'd like to out any others, do so here.

Helen

13 Replies to Musical pirates

re: Musical pirates
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 07, 2010 12:31 AM
Edited by Felsa (169953) on 2010-05-07 00:32:47
Edited by Felsa (169953) on 2010-05-07 00:34:43
Avril Lavigne stole the song "I wanna be your boyfriend" for her song "Girlfriend" The music is very different but the chorus is very similar.

Here is Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend"
www.youtube.com . . .

Here is The Rubinoos "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend"
www.youtube.com . . .

And here is a video comparing the 2 songs
www.youtube.com . . .

PS was I the only one who thought this thread was about a bunch of pirates singing away while on a ship?
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri May 07, 2010 06:56 AM
I seriously thought this said "musical PANTIES" at first. Lol, I think I need to wake up. Coffee!!

Kid Rock had a hit (All Summer Long) combining the riffs from Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama. Don't know how he got away with it. It's a fun little song, but he did recycle the riffs.

kk~
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 07, 2010 08:15 AM
And then there is Johann Sebastian Bach who liberally stole from himself...or was that called recycling? Handel did the same thing.

Bach also used a lot of stuff from Vivaldi. At the time, before copyrights as we know them, it was considered flattery.

Bach, Vivaldi and Handel were exact contemporaries, all born in 1685.

Jon
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 AM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2010-05-08 10:44:06
Haha, when I first read this thread I thought it meant Pirate/Folk-y kind of bands OR people who downloaded music... Oops.

Alot of Metal bands get accused of copying the older pioneers of the "BIG FOUR" Thrash Metal Bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax) No idea why, but ANY upcoming young band who sites any of these bands as influences is compared to these bands and gets accused of stealing riffs and all that jazz.

Trivium are one band who always get criticism thrown at them for being a Metallica rip-off band, which I do think is unfair. They actually recycled their own riff in one song to another, which worked very well.

DragonForce recycle song titles and include them as lyrics in songs, which I think is quite cool as it can link themes.

Kamelot transformed a song by Edvard Grieg (Solveig's Song) and made up lyrics to it and used one "riff" throughout their song by Grieg for a song entitled "Forever" which was SO AWESOME.

Claire.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat May 08, 2010 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Spring Awakenings "Totally F*****" and Rent's "What You Own" have the SAME chord structure, and except for a 4 bar vamp in Spring Awakenings' ... They can be sung to each other's accompaniment and it actually complements each other well.

Rent: www.youtube.com . . .

Spring Awakening: www.youtube.com . . .
(Warning, of course--the language is PG13 at the very least.)
By Sumayah
On Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 PM
I was totally expecting this thread to be all about Gilbert and Sullivan. I won't lie, I got a little excited and started humming "Poor Wandering One." /hijack
By staygold123
On Sun May 09, 2010 09:09 AM
PinUpGirl wrote:

Yo ho, ho, and a bottle of rum, beeyotches. ;)

/hijack

I totally thought this was about a pirate musical when I read the title...
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 10, 2010 08:01 AM
I'll have to pull it up when I get home, but the comedy troupe Axis of Awesome did a whole skit called "4 Chord Song". You want to talk about "stealing" music, that skit illustrates just how similar a lot of songs already are.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 16, 2010 08:29 PM
In a twelve-tone system, there's only so many chord progressions that you can use that work. This song merely illustrates that fact. There's a difference between using a common chord progression and using a melodic riff.

The Axis of Awesome guys were funny though.

Helen
By irene40000
On Wed May 19, 2010 06:43 AM
I don't know if he had the copyrights or not but Jason Derulo in his song Whatcha Say definitely ripped off Imogene Heaps Hide and Seek and Kanye West took the song Harder Better Faster Stronger by Daft Punk and totally butchered it with bad rapping for his song Stronger. Also my Hispanic friend informed me that the break in Shakira's song Hips Don't Lie was stolen from some other famous Hispanic singer. Myself not speaking Spanish I do not know much about it but this is just what she told me.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:32 AM
And it's a Heave (HO) High (HO) Comin' down the plains,
Stealin' Wheat and Barley and all the other grains,
And it's a Ho (HEY!) High (HEY!) Farmers bar yer doors,
When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores.

ReplySendWatch