Forum: Folk / Flamenco

Flamenco
Looking for Sevillanas/Flamenco Instructor in Connecticut
By Magpie2 Comments: 1, member since Fri May 07, 2010
On Fri May 07, 2010 02:48 PM

Looking for a Flamenco Dancer/Instructor in Connecticut. I want to learn Sevillanas. Just returned from Sevilla where I lived for one year. I will be in CT for 10 months before I return to Spain. I would like very much to take classes, private or group during these months. I imagine that it would have to be private because I don't know if anyone other than me would have an interest in Sevillanas. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Nicole

1 Replies to Looking for Sevillanas/Flamenco Instructor in Connecticut

re: Looking for Sevillanas/Flamenco Instructor in Connecticut
By nevroth Comments: 1238, member since Fri Nov 21, 2003
On Mon May 10, 2010 03:05 PM
I don't know any teachers in Connecticut, but I'm sure there are! The simplest way to go is to look up dance studios in the phone book, or like yellowpages.com and call and ask if there they offer flamenco classes. If they do, then you can find out what the class is about (technique or choreography), or if they have any special Sevillanas workshops coming up. I would recommend going to the teacher personally to ask for a private, instead of asking thru the studio. You might get charged more just for the use of the facility. Check out the local community colleges, many in the Los Angeles area offer basic flamenco/Sevillana classes thru the college or community classes. If you post the city, I can help a bit and post what I find online- but if there's REALLY no such luck. YouTube has sevillana lessons or you could buy a DVD, or PM me and I can write out the coplas and how to execute them, and send an MP3. I've taught Sevillans before. Please note, though, that there is no ONE specific Sevillana, as long as you follow the rhythm and hit the right closures and basic steps, anything goes. So you could watch 3 people do their own Sevillanas, and the movements may be different, but they will all end and start at the same time. It really is a fun and amazing dance! I love it!

ReplySendWatch