Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Videos- choreography
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 08, 2010 06:11 PM

Okay. here are some of my best videos. Some of the dancing sucks and turns rock. or the turns suck and dancing rocks. but please comment and PLEASE help me learn to make myself beter.

I did make these up while dancing them

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

6 Replies to Videos- choreography

re: Videos- choreography
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 PM
I watched 30 seconds of the first one and I already know what note I want you to work on:

An audience doesn't want to watch you watch them--you need to experience your dancing more than executing it. It seems like (even though it's a video) that you're looking at your 'audience' for feedback, when you're barely even starting. Don't keep looking at the camera (or the audience) and find where your eyes can focus in the world of the dance.

The improvisation (word of choice over 'make up while dancing') is nice, especially for a beginner! For the moment, My advice is to start to experience your dancing for yourself before you try to influence your audience. That comes later, when you have a better understanding of dance. For now, experience dance for yourself, listen to your body and your mind, and you'll find yourself not only better technically, but also more able to influence an audience later on down the road.

Focus on the basics for now.

Now, to watch the entire thing:

It seems like a lot of the moves you like to centre around are flexibility based, and if you want to focus on them, you should really focus on your flexibility. From the first video I was going to ask you to focus on your weight distribution (which is still a good idea) but your weight distribution and balance was MUCH better in the second video. So, stretching will lead to a better line in your flexi-based-steps, and the next step would be to learn to control them and not just 'let them go'. (Letting-them-go is a common mistake in flexibility-based-tricks. Just because your leg can go anywhere and everywhere doesn't mean that controlling it isn't necessary.)

My last bit of advice is that if you want to continue improvising or choreographing, then you should start with shorter amounts of time. Perhaps the first 45 seconds of a song, etc. This way you dont' feel pressure to keep repeating things to eat up time, or begin to feel flustered. The art of dance is in the choreography and trying to bite off too much too early can be detrimental to developing a unique and valued artistic sense.
By hummingbird
On Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 AM
Something that would make your dancing look stronger and more finished is to work on your arms, I notice that as you turn or jump the arms lose their shape and form this isn't helping you, In your second video, you do a set of chaine turns at about 50 something, your legs are good, they could be more pulled up but they're together, your arms though are not strong. The leading arm is being thrown out too far each time and they don't keep level, they move up and down. This happens with a lot of your turns and it pulls you off balance.

Some nice idea's though with your improv, well done.
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 09, 2010 12:36 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! I am working on my flexibility everyday now. For the arm thing, I realize my arms aren't strong ahah. I can't even do a push up (really bad of me) But thanks for the help:))))
By dancerdt
On Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 PM
I agree with the other two posters about desire, flexibility and strength, but I also want to you to strive for technique. Technique is vital to a dancer, not just for performance purposes, but for health reasons. You want to be able to train your muscles to do the movement properly. Work on your basic fundamental technique and you'll find a lot of steps come easier and your choreography will benefit from that as well. Good start for a beginner, though!
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 07:46 PM
Ok, when you make choreography up while dancing, it's called improv (just to save you some typing:) )

Please just try to control those arms and pointe your feet, turn out, think gracefulness, and watch other competition videos on YouTube to learn new moves and improve your dancing. If you'd walk into a professional dance class right now, the teacher would not appreciate the floppy and choppy arms. As my dance teacher would say, "He or she would be dragging you out of the class by your bun!"
By dance202
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 09:13 PM
I can tell you love to dance which is very good and I also agree that you should work on your flexibility, technique and your emotion. One trick I use is to listen to the song and write down that emotions you are feeling during the song and then try to use those emotions while you are dancing. I can also tell that you are very motivated and you want to improve.

Thanks for the post I enjoyed watching your improv and I hope you continue to dance and have fun and just let go while you are dancing.

dance202

ReplySendWatch