Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

half shaved/short side haircuts?
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 10, 2010 08:40 PM
Moved to Beauty - Makeovers by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-05-11 08:55:00 moved to correct forum, you silly woman! :-P

There is a bit of a trend around her at the moment, with girls shaving half, or a little part of one side of their head. As seen in Picture 1.

I REALLY like it, but;

a) EVERYONE is doing it, and I hate to jump on a bandwagon.

b) I have really thin hair, so it wouldn't have the same effect. I'd probably just look creepy or sick, rather than some kind of glamourous alternative goddess :P

I've been wearing my hair swept to one side and super gelled back to it has a similar visual effect ( see picture 2) - but by the end of the day, its all coming unstuck and it just looks dumb - plus it kind of hurts my neck to have all my hair on one side of my head!

I'm sick of having medium length straight black hair. I want to do something kind of funky and extreme. I was thinking about getting my hair cut so that one side is still long (might even get extensions in that side) and then getting the other side cut much shorter, like a bob or something.

Does that sound stupid? I can't find any photos of what I have in mind, Can anyone help?

I've included some recent photos of me, so if you have any other suggestions, I'm open!

21 Replies to half shaved/short side haircuts?

re: half shaved/short side haircuts?
On Mon May 10, 2010 08:42 PM
oh my gosh. I posted this on the totally wrong board! Sorry guys :?

Just asked a mod to move it!
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 12:43 AM
Maybe you can actually pull it off!

Personally I think it looks beyond fugly, will be a pain to grow out, and most of all, I would look ridiculously silly like that. LOL.

I'd say that you should not do something as extreme as shaving it off, because once you get sick of the look, the in-between growing out stage would be pretty tough to deal with.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 02:49 AM
Really unfeminine and too cool for it's own good. Horrible, horrible, horrible. *curses the likes of Elly Jackson*
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 04:55 AM
Personally I think it´s extremly awful, but of course it is YOUR head. :)

I´d still suggest not to do it, for a good reason: if it really doesn´t suit you and you dislike it you have only one chance: shaving everything off. And then it takes a long time until hair grew back to a decent length.
By mazie
On Tue May 11, 2010 05:23 AM
I quite like the shaved/long hair mix but you can only really get away with it if you are super scene and cool, otherwise it just looks a bit weird in real life.

But I do know lots of people (mostly hair dressers) who have one side really long and the other either fully cropped in a bob, or really choppy with some short and long bits. Sounds weird, but it's really flattering, and gives their hair an edge without looking too crazy. So if you want to get it done. Then if it you don't like it you only need to get a bob rather than a shaved head to get rid of the style.

My one piece of advice would be to go to a trendy hairdressers, maybe even a designer salon. They will have been at all the major hairshows during the year so they will actually know what want, rather than your local salon who will think you're a bit crazy and try to convince you not to get it.
On Tue May 11, 2010 06:16 AM
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2010-05-11 06:18:29
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2010-05-11 06:28:13
^ Thanks!

Thats cools guys. Not most peoples cup of tea. I get it. Not all that helpful though ;) yeah? I'm, not actually going to do the shaving thing, as per my original post.

I want to keep my hair. Just have a similar 'one sided' effect. Y'know? Does that make ANY sense? Kind of like the bobs you were talking about mazie, but not too short on one side.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 08:22 AM
I believe they did this haircut with Naima from ANTM. And someone else... some leggy, conservative blonde girl. I can't for the life of me remember what season she was in though.

It looked cute on both of them. But they didn't shave the sides.

I think it's cute, but it would be a huge pain to grow out when you got sick of it.
By Sumayah
On Tue May 11, 2010 08:32 AM
What about an asymmetrical swing cut? Where it's short on one side and long an the other.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 08:43 AM
I'm no good at style, but I google search with the best of 'em. Here are photos that sounded similar that you might be able to build upon?

Spoiler: Show
Image hotlink - 'http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/1833939446_ab1ce4a2d8.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4521775719_02b09f7076.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.scene-hairstyles.com/images/1476365696_l.jpg'
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 08:50 AM
That's another look that comes and goes around. My Foods teacher in high school had that exact same cut. And I've been out of high school for 13 years. It cycles through, just like everything else.

If you were going to try this look, I'm not sure what I think of extensions on one side and a bob on the other. I think you'd have to round it up, so that it looks more on purpose, and less "I was getting a bob, but then I had to go, so she only got half done."
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 AM
One of my old colleagues had a simialr hairstyle, except her "long bit" was still quite short (about chin-length or shorter). When I first saw it, I really didn't like it, but actually, it was REALLY versatile... she had a different style every single day!

She had the attitude and the right kind of style to go with it though - like, she would buy these hideous clothes and somehow manage to make them work. She looked edgy rather than weird. I could never pull it off, I'm WAY not cool enough!
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 PM
I don't understand this trend...granted, this is coming from somebody who has had a mohawk more often than not for quite a few years. It seems like they wanted a hawk but then wussed out partway through. The only people I've seen it look alright on had super thick hair and looked "alternative" enough for it...most people I see doing it look goofy. :?

There are definitely ways to style your hair and twist things up and over so that you can do an asymmetrical thing without actually cutting your hair...I'd try some of those first to at least test it out. :)
By staygold123
On Tue May 11, 2010 01:03 PM
I know a girl who has a hair style like that and while it looked cool like that, it looks beyond rediculous now that she is growing the shorter side out.
By Emi89member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 11, 2010 01:24 PM
i think it can look cool... but like the others the grow out period when you get fed up of it would be tough

you'd pretty much have to be willing to go for a full pixie cut to have it be even

personally i'm not a fan of the asymetrical (google that and you'll find tons of looks you could go for) look in terms of bobs i prefer the shaved option though i'd never do it myself, not really my style :)

i really like the last one alwaysonstage posted too :)
By girlwithacoin
On Tue May 11, 2010 05:07 PM
I have seen some people pull off the shaved look quite well, but I know that once they started to grow it out, it looked a bit dodgy (the only one that didn't have too much trouble had bob length hair to begin with, so it didn't take long for the shorter bits to infiltrate their way back into the rest of her hair).

However, I think there are a lot of options when it comes to asymmetrical styles. You said your hair was fairly thin? Maybe something like this would work for you?

static.becomegorgeous.com . . .

it has the short and long bits, and is a bit edgy, but it also looks like you could play around with it a bit when it comes to styling.

I think you could definitely pull of an asymmetrical style though! Good luck choosing!
By girlwithacoin
On Tue May 11, 2010 05:08 PM
I have seen some people pull off the shaved look quite well, but I know that once they started to grow it out, it looked a bit dodgy (the only one that didn't have too much trouble had bob length hair to begin with, so it didn't take long for the shorter bits to infiltrate their way back into the rest of her hair).

However, I think there are a lot of options when it comes to asymmetrical styles. You said your hair was fairly thin? Maybe something like this would work for you?

static.becomegorgeous.com . . .

it has the short and long bits, and is a bit edgy, but it also looks like you could play around with it a bit when it comes to styling.

I think you could definitely pull of an asymmetrical style though! Good luck choosing!
By ajjones
On Tue May 11, 2010 09:39 PM
I had the same style as you for years!! Medium to long black hair with the short Betty Page bangs.
When I was ready to try something new I found this

community.livejournal.com . . .

There's soooo many cut and color ideas on there.

I think the shorter on one side would be cute!
If you do cut it and you're not crazy about it, it's just hair...it grows back!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 12, 2010 06:15 AM
I actually have a style similar to the fourth pic which AlwaysOnStage posted, but more obviously asymmetrical and structured. However, I have extremely thick salt-and-pepper hair and I have woven solid black foils to accentuate the longer piece.

One of the hairdessers where I go has a more extreme version- shorter short and longer long- and she has quite fine hair and it looks good on her. I reckon you could wear it well, especially with a little French bob on one side with a choppy edgier do to contrast.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 12, 2010 09:35 AM
I wanted to add a quick comment about growing out...that's why it's important to have fairly thick hair if you do something like that. When you want to grow it out, you simple part your hair on the other side and the growing out part is covered. I'm debating doing something else with my hair for awhile and it doesn't look THAT weird if I just split the hawk into a part and wear it flat over the shaved parts.

I just didn't understand the all of the comments about how awful it'd look growing out cause it's really not that big of a deal if you style it right. :)
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 12, 2010 10:05 AM
I'm not a fan of this shaved look. Maybe you could try doing a french braid or two on the side of your head. It gives the same kind of effect and looks more unique:

media.photobucket.com . . .
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 13, 2010 08:55 AM
The makeup artist on the film shoot I did on Tuesday had that part-head-shaved thing going on. It kinda worked for her, but she had a LOT of hair and it was really thick.

Tig, I reckon there are heaps of cuts that would suit you. I think something that's a bit longer in the front and shorter in the back would look nice.

Something like these, perhaps:

Image hotlink - 'http://z.about.com/d/beauty/1/0/K/f/asianhair16.JPG'

[img]3.bp.blogspot.com . . . os/AAwy4le2sdI/s1600/Medium%2BEmo%2BHair.jpg[/img]

Helen

ReplySendWatch