Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Help me! I'm so...white...
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 PM

I have never taken Hip Hop, but I had to do a hip-hop combo for my dance team auditions last week. I guess I did okay (I made it) but when I started on the combo, it seemed so unnatural, as opposed to the jazz and pom sections that I was more comfortable with.

I will be starting Hip Hop this summer, but I'm wondering how I can get my moves to look more natural.

Thanks so much!

9 Replies to Help me! I'm so...white...

re: Help me! I'm so...white...
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue May 11, 2010 07:10 AM
Lol, my daughter used to say that all the time!

My best advice is to take some classes with teachers that have a little 'flava'. And some students who have the flava. You'll get better. Just takes practice.

kk~
By Julez28member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 11, 2010 08:23 AM
Yep, you really need to just feel it, so to speak. Anything you haven't done before is going to feel unnatural at first. Just like the jazz stuff would if you hadn't done it before. Also, try and relax with it, I can't really critique you because I've never seen you dance, but a lot of trained dancers who move on to Hip Hop have trouble loosing up because they have been trained to do the opposite.
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 AM
Julez, I think you hit it right on the money. I've been taught through Jazz and Ballet to have constant control over my movements, so I guess I just have to start "feeling" it. A girl on a hip hop dance team at her high school who dances at my studio is helping me, and she has plenty of the aforementioned "flava."
By Julez28member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 PM
That's good! I would also say do your research on Hip Hop and observe others, you can never learn too much! There are moves that require good control, like all forms of dance, but really, listen to the music and just keep practising.
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Tue May 11, 2010 06:00 PM
Just keep practicing. It'll be hard, but not impossible. The classes you take this summer will definitely help. Try to copy the teacher's movements as exactly as possible.

Also, look around at the other students. Which ones look natural and which look more awkward? What movement qualities separate the two groups? Try to emulate those of the more natural hip hop dancers. For example, the natural dancers may be really aggressive when they dance while awkward girls may be more graceful. If that's the case, try to be more aggressive with your dancing and hit your moves harder.

It may also help to watch videos of hip hop dancing on YouTube. Even if you're not actually dancing, just seeing what it should look like will help. Do the same thing I suggested above except with videos. Decide which video has better dancing. What things make it better? You get the idea.

If it makes you feel any better, it's just as hard for hip hop dancers to make the transition to more technical forms of dance ;). You'll get it though, it's just going to take some time.
By wednesdayashbash
On Wed May 12, 2010 01:36 PM
Dont over think it. I used to have the same problem, but after awhile you get used to it. Honestly, you really cant think about it. You should think about the steps, but dont think of the way your doing them. If your thinking of anything, be the scarecrow from "The Wizard of Oz". You wont be so stiff, and an added bonus, you will smile alot.
By dancerdt
On Thu May 13, 2010 01:09 PM
it's difficult to find the ability to really let go in hip hop class, but it's probably the thing that'll help you the most. being embarrassed to really put yourself out there is the hardest part. try not to feel intimidated and really go for it.
By k_naasty
On Wed Jun 16, 2010 01:57 PM
I think all you need is to feel the music and let your passion for dance show in HipHop , as it does for Jazz and whatever else you take (: If you let your inside flavor comeout then you'll be good to go. Hope this helped (:
By dancing_breezy
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 02:06 PM
just like jazz you have to let the music flow through you and just feel it !!

ReplySendWatch