Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Members

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Ballet Photos - Members
Lucy Raianova's Class and Some of Me!!!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2090, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Sat May 15, 2010 09:52 PM
Locked by nycsylph (206174) on 2010-08-15 15:54:10 Been up a long time

In case you don't know, I love Lucy Raianova and her class. She has a wonderful energy, positive vibe and is so enthusiastic that you just get carried away with her excitement and love of dance. She's a true artist and she has deep roots - all the way back to the Bolshoi where she attended class as a young girl!

She very, very kindly gave me permission (and the studio gave her permission) to shoot some photos and post them here. Luckily, a couple of real pros showed up (hate them!) and it was a treat to try to keep up with them. I was scooting around the floor on my knees doing my best. I took pictures of both her classes - the regular one done mostly in slipper and the pointe class that follows it.

Then (oh, dear god in heaven what possessed me?) I took some pics of me trussed up like some Thanksgiving turkey! I used the self-timer and my face reflects the abject irritation I had with the blasted thing. Not that it mattered. They're just for fun and at this age (60) don't expect much! If you've been following my thread, I've been trying to get back my pointe technique back after laying off for 20 years and it's pretty well not going to happen. I hoisted myself up for these few and then rubbed on the Bengay and collapsed on the ground in a pile of lycra, satin and tulle. My cat won't come near me now. Just wrinkles her nose and hisses.

So enjoy I hope you love the class photos. As for the ones of me, just for fun. No critiques and if you give me any I'll hunt you down and hum the entire score of Swan Lake directly into your eardrum until you promise not to do that again!

Hugs to all.

First set - Lucy's class.

58 Replies to Lucy Raianova's Class and Some of Me!!!

re: Lucy Raianova's Class and Some of Me!!!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2090, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:05 PM
Second set!

Still Lucy's class. Think we're heading into the pointe!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:22 PM
These are beautiful, I love class shots. Thanks for sharing these!
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:24 PM
Okay, third set ... ME!!! THIS IS AN OFFICIAL WARNING!!!

Please put the mouse down and do NOT click any further if you are easily upset or have a weak stomach!!

I know that PNB Dave is going to be hounding me now. I can just imagine the phone call to PNB. It'll be something like:

"Yeah, there's this really old, old, old dancer ... and get this ... while on pointe ... she can ... are you ready? ... she can passe'!!! Yes, on pointe!!!"

Dead silence on the other end. All I can say is wait until you're 60!!! It is not easy, but I try!
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:28 PM
balletbaby1414 wrote:

These are beautiful, I love class shots. Thanks for sharing these!

You're very welcome, honey!

Glad you liked them.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sat May 15, 2010 10:57 PM
Shut. The. Eff. Up.

Not possible that you're sixty. Unless you have drank the blood of a unicorn.
On Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 PM
MuffinHead wrote:

Shut. The. Eff. Up.

Not possible that you're sixty. Unless you have drank the blood of a unicorn.

Tis horrible, but true! And I would never touch the blessed unicorn since seeing Legend! I well remember what happened the last time when Mia tried it!

Yes, unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) I predate sliced bread. If you could feel the pain searing through my body at any given point in the day after taking class, you'd know it to be true. Right now my groin is freakin' killing me, but that's just the way it is!

Thank you and you are wayyyy too kind!

O = Hug!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat May 15, 2010 11:24 PM
Gief me the legs now :P I don't care about searing pain, I have that form my knees and the balls of my feet anyway and I'm only 40ish.

Those are beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing them with us.
On Sat May 15, 2010 11:32 PM
hummingbird wrote:

Gief me the legs now :P I don't care about searing pain, I have that form my knees and the balls of my feet anyway and I'm only 40ish.

Those are beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing them with us.

ROFL!!!

You are too funny!!!! And all I can say is that they get me from one place to another ... and occasionally will allow me to POINT MY FOOT!!! Arggghh!

Thank you and you're very welcome, hummingbird!!
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat May 15, 2010 11:52 PM
Lovely as ever! You just totally made me want to go take class, unfortunately it's nearly 1am and going on Sunday so that's not happening, but wow. Reminds me of my Saturday morning class growing up. We'd have local pros drop in take our class and I remember dancing a zillion times better when the principal dancer was directly behind me at the barre. I mean, you just don't want to suck! Not with that kind of talent in the room. ;)
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun May 16, 2010 12:30 AM
You been lyin' to us, you 'ave! You're sixteen, not sixty! Your face is soooo bloody young and so is your body!!

If you want to see pain, go to my pics on facebook (I think you are friended, yes?) and see why I'm dripping with jealousy....

Grrr...now I'm in a baaaddd mood.... ;-D
By foreverdance0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Wed May 07, 2008
On Sun May 16, 2010 06:47 AM
These photos are lovely! :) Thanks for sharing!

P.S.
You do not look Sixty at all!! I hope that I'm still dancing like you when I'm 60 years young :)

xx
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sun May 16, 2010 06:59 AM
Are you seriously trying to tell me you're 60? I... don't believe you.

Gorgeous photos, thanks so much for sharing!
On Sun May 16, 2010 09:11 AM
Sumayah wrote:

Lovely as ever! You just totally made me want to go take class, unfortunately it's nearly 1am and going on Sunday so that's not happening, but wow. Reminds me of my Saturday morning class growing up. We'd have local pros drop in take our class and I remember dancing a zillion times better when the principal dancer was directly behind me at the barre. I mean, you just don't want to suck! Not with that kind of talent in the room. ;)

Sumayah -

Thank you and you are so funny! Yes, a true dancer, scrounging for a class at 1:00 in the morning! Why do they not have classes 24/7 I ask? And, yes, it is amazing what standing next to someone that actually knows what they're doing does to one's posture. Even the teacher walking by gets me to slightly lift out of leaning into that supporting hip, but not enough to pick-up my head, but a young, gorgeous pro? I'm like a plug horse watching the Kentucky Derby. All of a sudden, I'm trotting along - head and back held high!

And standing next to a couple of the girls in the pictures made my nose bleed! Talk about being depressed! But it was well worth the personal suffering to see them move about and do their thing. Especially that developpe ala second! It just kept going up!

Oh, and I meant to mention your sister. Saw the pictures you posted and need I say - what a cutie pie! She is a real charmer and has that look that'll have an audience wrapped around her finger and steal their hearts to boot!

Grrr...now I'm in a baaaddd mood.... ;-D

Serendipity42 -

:P

No reason to be in a bad mood!!! I'm the one that takes this class and look what the heck I have to stand next to!!!

You are absolutely gorgeous and I look MUCH older in person. They're just pictures and have nothing to do with real life! And aren't you the one that knocks out triples?

It's me that should be jealous!!!

A big kiss and hug!!

These photos are lovely! :) Thanks for sharing!

P.S.
You do not look Sixty at all!! I hope that I'm still dancing like you when I'm 60 years young :)

Devhan -

Thank you so much!!! I had a great time shooting them - well, the classroom ones! Self-timers - Argggghh!!

And you are very kind. I'm sure you'll be a knock-out and still kicking yourself in the head with your battements!!!

Are you seriously trying to tell me you're 60? I... don't believe you.

Gorgeous photos, thanks so much for sharing!

Angelina -

Sigh!!! I'm afraid so. It's not something that I'm proud of, but it's true. I figure as long as I can do something, I'm going to keep trying! I love ballet and just every single thing that goes into making it the art form it is! And my heart goes out to everyone that at least tries!

Thank you and I'm glad you liked the photos! It was a pleasure to take them!!
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sun May 16, 2010 09:24 AM
Hah! I still say you're lying about your age. Y'know, I'm tempted to take a trip up to Big Apple just so's I can see you for myself. I'd bet you'd outdance me any day.

I can't do triples. I only did it once. Once. That was it. I ONCE did a double on pointe. Once. That was it.

Now I'm suffering from dizzy spells so I'll be lucky to get even a good pirouette on demi. :(

Today's the photo shoot. First stage done. On to the second in five minutes. I'm shuddering. I do NOT want to look yucky in this one photo. :-/
On Sun May 16, 2010 10:00 AM

Serendipity42 wrote:

Hah! I still say you're lying about your age. Y'know, I'm tempted to take a trip up to Big Apple just so's I can see you for myself. I'd bet you'd outdance me any day.

Oh, cheez!!!! Strong stomach, eh?

Well, there's nothing to see. I'm not being self-effacing, at this age I can't really do anything except keep my legs bent at the wrong times. They just won't straighten in arabesque .... or sissoines ... or much of anything! And believe me, if I was good, EVERYBODY would know it! I'd go on and on and on.

I can't do triples. I only did it once. Once. That was it. I ONCE did a double on pointe. Once. That was it.

Now I'm suffering from dizzy spells so I'll be lucky to get even a good pirouette on demi. :(

Sorry to hear that. It's much the same here, but for different reasons. Dancing is always a challenge, but when things start going wrong, it's when you gotta dig deep!

Today's the photo shoot. First stage done. On to the second in five minutes. I'm shuddering. I do NOT want to look yucky in this one photo. :-/

No worries, hon!!! If they're a good photographer, they can bring the best out of you!!! That's the way it works! They get your best angle, fix the lighting, etc., all to showcase you and make you look sensational!!!

I'm sure it'll be great!!! You're gorgeous so just go in there with confidence!!!

Oh, and I forgot one favorite photo of Elina, the girl in Lucy's class. She has some fabulous videos on YouTube also. Here's a link to Esmeralda:

www.youtube.com . . .
By Zannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 107, member since Thu Jan 21, 2010
On Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 AM
nycsylph, you have been fibbing to us all just so you could stay invited to our fabulous grown up 29 page chat. Shame on you, we would have let you participate if you had told us you were 14 but you did not have to lie about your age and difficulty with dance. I know you were actually the one to start the post but that is not what we are talking about now. I think you should go and tell your mother right now and she should ground you for a while :)
I am SO envious! Beautiful arms, super cute tutu and I can't even talk about your legs without thinking envious thoughts. Thanks for posting these, even if it does prove you lie about your age just to fit in with the rest of us " mature " dancers.
By Zannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 107, member since Thu Jan 21, 2010
On Sun May 16, 2010 10:39 AM
nycsylph, you have been fibbing to us all just so you could stay invited to our fabulous grown up 29 page chat. Shame on you, we would have let you participate if you had told us you were 14 but you did not have to lie about your age and difficulty with dance. I know you were actually the one to start the post but that is not what we are talking about now. I think you should go and tell your mother right now and she should ground you for a while :)
I am SO envious! Beautiful arms, super cute tutu and I can't even talk about your legs without thinking envious thoughts. Thanks for posting these, even if it does prove you lie about your age just to fit in with the rest of us " mature " dancers.
On Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 AM
Zann wrote:

Zann!!!!!!

You have made an old lady very happy!!! :)

As for the age thing, I have leotards that are older than 14!!!! All I can say is I wish it were true, but then not really because everyone would wonder how a 14-year-old got to be a wizened hag in so short a time!!!! And if they attributed it to taking ballet lessons, NO ONE would be attending classes in hopes of avoiding such a fate!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for cheering me up and making me laugh. The love handles and various "old lady" rolls are jiggling with laughter right now - and you know what? It feels pretty good!

I should say that I still have on the same outfit. I think everything I wore was "control top" something or other. Those leotards and tights would have held in a hippopotamus!!! It took me an hour to squeeze in and now I'm still trying to wriggle out!!! I may have to cut these things off!!!

Anyway, thanks again. I needed a good laugh.

XOXOXXOXOXOXOXXO

OLD LADIES OF DANCE UNITE!!!!
By FireSwanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Wed May 10, 2006
On Sun May 16, 2010 12:43 PM
You take beautiful photographs!

You are a beautiful photographic subject! (And having read the other posts I see that I am in good company when I say I don't for one second believe you are 60!)

Thank you for sharing all the lovely photos (ALL means including the ones of you- you are gorgeous!!!)

FS
On Sun May 16, 2010 02:05 PM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2010-05-16 14:09:15 typos!
FireSwan wrote:

You take beautiful photographs!

You are a beautiful photographic subject! (And having read the other posts I see that I am in good company when I say I don't for one second believe you are 60!)

Thank you for sharing all the lovely photos (ALL means including the ones of you- you are gorgeous!!!)

FS

FireSwan -

You are way too kind!!! Thank you so very much for the very nice compliments!!!!

I loved taking the pictures. Ballet just turns me on! It's my passion and I love dancers so much! I also enjoy letting them and figuring out ways for them to look their best!

As for being gorgeous, I would say it's you my dear that are gorgeous!

Thank you again. I love DDN'ers! They're the most generous, supportive bunch of dancers ever!
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun May 16, 2010 03:06 PM
LOVE the class shots and ADORE you my dear!!! :D

Right now my groin is freakin' killing me

I'm with you on that one my lovely friend. However, you at nearly 60 can dance circles around ole smileywoman who's approaching 50.

I too can no longer do pirouettes (vertigo, balance disorder etc.) BUT I still try sometimes. I 'pretend' I can still do things and it encourages me at times or depresses me.

You SERIOUSLY inspire me though and you are SO gorgeous. I'm still working on getting more a the ballet sleek back to my body.
By Tyterope Comments: 176, member since Fri Jul 10, 2009
On Sun May 16, 2010 04:22 PM
Seriously green with envy now... you DO NOT by any stretch of the imagination, look anywheres near 60... I'm 40 and can't come close to what your body... kinks, aches, protests, and all, allows you to do... How DARE you come here and bemoan your condition!!!! (no meanness intended). I think you look fantabulous and of course I also very much enjoyed the ones you took of the pros. Keep going for goodness sake and B*$CH to somebody else! (Perhaps those cats of yours). Luv, T.
On Sun May 16, 2010 05:01 PM
smileywoman wrote:

LOVE the class shots and ADORE you my dear!!! :D

Smileywoman -

Oh, aren't you sweet!!! Thank you so much!!!

I'm with you on that one my lovely friend. However, you at nearly 60 can dance circles around ole smileywoman who's approaching 50.

TOTALLY not true. I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and singing LA LA LA LA LA!!! I can't hear you!!!

You SERIOUSLY inspire me though and you are SO gorgeous. I'm still working on getting more a the ballet sleek back to my body.

Oh, gosh! Well, all I can say is that your pictures and the way you go about conducting yourself through your posts, etc., inspires me also!!! I LOVE your pics and you have the best wardrobe in the world!!! As for your body - va va va voom!!! You are super gorgeous and your positions are always fabulous. Love your upper back as well!!!! The training shows in everything you do!!!! And not for nothing, but your skin is unbelievably fabulous!!! I hope it's due to utter happiness cause that's what I wish for you!!

Love and hugs,

XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXO

My long-range agenda is to get a decent arabesque and developpe ala second in place by my next birthday so I can snap a picture of it!!! We'll see what happens!!!

Seriously green with envy now... you DO NOT by any stretch of the imagination, look anywheres near 60... I'm 40 and can't come close to what your body... kinks, aches, protests, and all, allows you to do... How DARE you come here and bemoan your condition!!!! (no meanness intended). I think you look fantabulous and of course I also very much enjoyed the ones you took of the pros. Keep going for goodness sake and B*$CH to somebody else! (Perhaps those cats of yours). Luv, T.

T -

Duly spanked and mollified!!!! And I guess this wouldn't be a good time to say that I took two pointe classes (usually I just take pointe once a week, but did the back-to-back thing) and I just looked down because my left big toe is throbbing and the entire nail is turning black!!!!! Eeeekkk!!!

Turns to cat: God, I hope the nail doesn't fall off, but I know it's going to!!!!

Okay, now back to you!!! LOL Thank you so much for the superfunny, nice post. And no, I'm not going to take it the wrong way.

Thank you for all the nice comments and all I can say is how the heck did I get the nerve to post my pics under these pro's shots??? It's like an episode of What Not to Wear only this is What Not to Do!!!!

I will try to be perkier and not complain ... maybe after this toenail falls off ... and grows back.

Turns to cat: Please let it grow back!!!

Ballet roses and a big hug to you!!!

Thanks again!!! I always LOVE to laugh!!!
By pols Comments: 879, member since Thu Apr 26, 2007
On Sun May 16, 2010 05:17 PM
Holy professionals Batman!

I wish I was taking your class. Don't get me wrong, I loooove my class, but even just from the photos there's so much energy and fun and TALENT in your class. Extremely inspiring.

I was walking to work the other day thinking, "I'm turning 25 this year and I'm only taking 8 hours of ballet a week. I know I'm never going to be a prima ballerina and you know what? I'm fine with that. I love class. I love dancing. As long as I keep dancing for absolutely as long as I can I will be a happy girl."

Your photos just reiterated that for me. Why should I have an inferiority complex just because I'm dancing recreationally? I love it. It makes me more myself than anything else in the world. You don't just suddenly realise you're not a teenager anymore and go, "Okay, time to switch that passion off."

Thanks for sharing. And, as always, thanks for your beautiful sense of humour. The boards are a much nicer place for having you in them.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed