Priority Dance Jobs

Forum: Jazz / Jazz - Videos

Jazz - Videos
Dr Phil and Anderson Cooper talk about 'risque' Dance moves en>fr fr>en
By dancespree Comments: 6, member since Sun May 16, 2010
On Sun May 16, 2010 02:13 PM
Edited by dancespree (222898) on 2010-05-16 14:17:04 Figuring out the link thing....
Locked by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-05-18 06:30:22 Already a post for this topic.

I hope this is the correct forum and not old news... Wasn't sure where to put this.
Dr Phil and Cooper discuss a 7 year old routine to single ladies.
Looks like a west coast studio judging by the style.

CNN
www.cnn.com . . .

Dr Phil sounds like an idiot. On so many levels.

14 Replies to Dr Phil and Anderson Cooper talk about 'risque' Dance moves

re: Dr Phil and Anderson Cooper talk about 'risque' Dance moves en>fr fr>en
On Sun May 16, 2010 02:16 PM
Edited by dancespree (222898) on 2010-05-16 14:18:08
sorry.. new here.. figuring it all out
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Sun May 16, 2010 02:46 PM
I am curious as to why you say Dr.Phil sounded like an idiot.

I personally agree with evreything he has to say. I was appaled by the dance. 7 year olds should NOT be dancing like that.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sun May 16, 2010 02:57 PM
Ummm
How does Dr. Phil sound like an idiot? He made a lot of good points with AC
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5232, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Sun May 16, 2010 03:16 PM
Dr. Phil sounds like an idiot? HAH. He has a voice of reason and logic, nothing idiotic about what he's saying. These girls are SECOND GRADERS. The costumes and choreography are disgustingly inappropriate for little girls of that age.

See:
www.dance.net . . .
and
www.dance.net . . .
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11218, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sun May 16, 2010 03:18 PM
So there's been A LOT of talk about this video on line - mostly from people absolutely freaking out about it (and rightly so!), but has anyone heard a rebuttal or explanation from the studio/choreographer? Have they issued a statement or anything? Or have they just gone to ground?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Sun May 16, 2010 04:05 PM
DefyingGravity wrote:

Dr. Phil sounds like an idiot? HAH. He has a voice of reason and logic, nothing idiotic about what he's saying. These girls are SECOND GRADERS. The costumes and choreography are disgustingly inappropriate for little girls of that age.

See:
www.dance.net . . .
and
www.dance.net . . .

Yes, he sounds like an idiot. Equating some kid of progression from this dance to damaging sexual endeavors is idiotic.

"They are dancing like this at 7, what at 10 what at 12?"

Well geez Dr Phil I imagine by your logic by that time they will be under the bleachers giving hand jobs to their classmates. But of course what he is saying "These girls will be strippers" without having the courage to say it.

He makes the usual but ignorant assumption that being taught a certain type of dance move automatically means you are destined to a life of lurid sexual deviance's.
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Sun May 16, 2010 04:25 PM
dancespree wrote:

But of course what he is saying "These girls will be strippers" without having the courage to say it.

I realize you're new, but there have been a lot of posts on the topic here on DDN. If you read through the posts on this thread or this thread (or even this thread which is about a different dance, but still the same topic), you'll see that no one is blaming the girls. It's the fault of the choreographers/teachers/SOs/parents/competitions that allowed it.

I don't think Dr. Phil sounded like an idiot at all. He seemed to agree with the majority of DDNers that posted in the above threads. When he asked "what next?" he didn't mean that the girls were going to be strippers (in fact, he said several times that the girls are most likely too young to even understand what those moves mean), he just meant what moves are the choreographers going to teach them when they're older if these are what they're doing now.
On Sun May 16, 2010 05:07 PM
BgirlDoesBallet wrote:

dancespree wrote:

you'll see that no one is blaming the girls. It's the fault of the choreographers/teachers/SOs/parents/competitions that allowed it.

Fault for what? In my eyes no one did anything wrong. Except for CNN and the types like Dr Phil who themselves create the sexual suggestions and the sensationalism that they then go on to condemn.

amd yea I'm new here.. You got a problem with it?! .....

Just kidding.... ;) thanks for the links, the search function here seems a bit random to put it mildly.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12253, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun May 16, 2010 05:21 PM
^Ooooh, I've been waiting for someone to step up and defend that choreo just so I can say 'are you freakin' kidding?' So here ya go: ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING?

AC and Dr. Phil didn't create sexual suggestions. They don't need to. The choreo puts it out there for all to clearly see.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5232, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Sun May 16, 2010 05:42 PM
dancespree wrote:

Except for CNN and the types like Dr Phil who themselves create the sexual suggestions and the sensationalism that they then go on to condemn.
Nobody needed to "create the sexual suggestions," they're kinda thrown in our faces. They a) grab their boobs (0:17) b) shake their booties (0:23) c) shoulder shimmy (0:24) d) I don't even know WHAT to call this - popping, I guess (0:26) e) bend and snap (0:27) f) hump the air repeatedly (0:30) g) boob thrust (0:36) h) drop it like it's hot down the line (1:36)

1:43-1:54 is SO sexual that there is no "suggestion," it's plain vulgar for 7-year-olds (though if the middle girl were 22 and in a rap music video rated NC-17, I'd be in awe at her body control).
By staygold123 Comments: 482, member since Sat Jun 28, 2008
On Sun May 16, 2010 07:25 PM
Odessa wrote:

So there's been A LOT of talk about this video on line - mostly from people absolutely freaking out about it (and rightly so!), but has anyone heard a rebuttal or explanation from the studio/choreographer? Have they issued a statement or anything? Or have they just gone to ground?

Erin.
::righteous babe::

Here ya go!

www.popeater.com . . .

This is from the rep for the competition and 2 of the parents.
By footundeez Comments: 72, member since Fri Feb 26, 2010
On Mon May 17, 2010 11:11 PM
I'm am so sick of hearing everyone talking about CHILDREN like this. I did not read all your comments but every one is talking about this. These girls are amazing and so humble outside of this one single ladies dance. This is what they were given to do! They do not know some parts are sexual. Their parents obviously think it is fine and I agree 100%.. They are putting on a character. They were actually told to look like the "chipettes" from the squeekquel... And the costumes are totally appropriate for this age, it has a tutu on it for gods sake! This is costumes I see every weekend, costumes I've worn, and it's a costume that is cute. They are crazy good and I'm sorry if one more person comments on their technique and says it's bad, like seriously do you know 7&8 yr olds that can do 10 fouettes into a quad into a leg hold! Omg so talented. Now I'm not saying this is all said here but, it's getting to the point that I'm so annoyed with this and I feel horrible for these kids, their parents, teachers, and DP! Keep up the good work girls, you are truly amazing!
By horseygymnastmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 480, member since Sat Aug 19, 2006
On Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 PM
^ Wait, let me get this straight, just because it has a tutu (if that's what you even call a tutu), it's okay?
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3592, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 AM
I'm am so sick of hearing everyone talking about CHILDREN like this. I did not read all your comments but every one is talking about this. These girls are amazing and so humble outside of this one single ladies dance. This is what they were given to do! They do not know some parts are sexual

If you can find me ONE comment bashing the children and not the completely irresponsible parents and choreographer, I'd be shocked.

NO ONE is saying that these kids aren't talented. It's just a shame that the choreographer chose to highlight their talents through sloppy tricks, instead of clean technique.

They do not know some parts are sexual. Their parents obviously think it is fine and I agree 100%.. They are putting on a character.

An appropriate character for a 7 year old is NOT Beyonce. It's NOT a stripper. It's NOT whatever was given to them in this dance. It's so sad to me, that they weren't given a character that they can actually relate to, with choreography that they understand.

And the costumes are totally appropriate for this age, it has a tutu on it for gods sake!

Bra tops, mini skirts, and thigh-highs are NOT appropriate for anything outside of the bedroom or a strip club. Sorry.

I feel as though you might have a more enjoyable time discussing this with other youtube members, instead of a website that promotes age-appropriate performances. :?

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed