Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Going to take the road test tomorrow... Any tips!?!
By RoyaleBallerina
On Sun May 16, 2010 10:42 PM

Yikes! Tomorrow I am taking my drivers test!! I'm kinda nervous!! Which is natural I know. I realty don't know what I'm nervous for tho! But any last tips or words of advice? Thanks!!

8 Replies to Going to take the road test tomorrow... Any tips!?!

re: Going to take the road test tomorrow... Any tips!?!
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 17, 2010 05:07 AM
First of all good luck! If you have time to go over the basic things like: parallel parking, reverse driving, roundabouts... try and do that before your test. Also, make sure that your mirrors and seat are positioned correctly before you take off. If you know the route that you're going to be taking the test on, it wouldn't hurt to drive it before the test. Good luck!
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Mon May 17, 2010 08:07 AM
DancingBeaner wrote:

First of all good luck! If you have time to go over the basic things like: parallel parking, reverse driving, roundabouts... try and do that before your test. Also, make sure that your mirrors and seat are positioned correctly before you take off. If you know the route that you're going to be taking the test on, it wouldn't hurt to drive it before the test. Good luck!

It's illegal to drive the test route unless you're taking the test...at least here in NY.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 17, 2010 08:41 AM
Edited by DancingBeaner (121335) on 2010-05-17 08:47:59 New info.
Oh, our test route is an actual route through the city where I live. Thus, if you talk to someone who has done the test before you could drive the same route through the city that they did. I think you guys might drive through cones too, so maybe that's why it's illegal. I'm not sure where RoyaleBallerina is from, but if it is the same procedure driving through the town as when I took the test in Canada or Germany then it's okay! But yeah, if not, I don't recommend sneaking into that place with the cones and driving around... :D

Edit: I just looked it up and it is illegal in the States to drive the actual route through the city. So please don't follow my advice there if you do live in the USA! I am sure that in BC it is no problem because my driving instructor who works for the same company that does the driving tests took me on the same route as the test a few times before I did the test.
re: Going to take the road test tomorrow... Any tips!?! (karma: 1)
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 17, 2010 09:18 AM
Hit every pedestrian you can. The state trooper will give you 10 points for everyone you take out.
By stevj016
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 03:19 PM
I've got mine coming up in July, I'm so nervous!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 04:50 PM
I remember reading in he Ny handbook that even if you live on the roads that are part of the test you can't drive there, your supervising driver is supposed to drive the car somewhere else and then you can switch to practice.

As for advice, don't wear flip flops or sandals, wear sneakers. You will look irresponsible in flip flops as it often is considered dangerous even if not illegal. Something like that you could be what makes the difference if the tester lets you pass or fail.

Also, don't necessarily expect state troopers. I know a lot of people in the US have them, but where I live we have people whose sole job is to test drivers. Thats all they do, they aren't police or anything.
By forgetxmexnot
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 06:35 PM
^^ We don't get state troopers either. I didn't even know they used them in some places until I started dating someone from the next state over and he had one when he took his test.

Don't stress out about it, it won't make anything easier unless you honestly can drive better under pressure. Not many people do. I failed my first time on the sole fact that I didn't back up far enough when I backed into a parking space on the parking portion of my test. I screwed up the parallel parking too, but my examiner was only allowed to give me so many points on each exercise so if I would have just gotten one less point when I was backing up, it wouldn't have mattered.

Just remember that you don't need to be perfect. Look at it as ELIMINATING points, not doing everything perfectly so you don't get any.

ReplySendWatch