Forum: Advice / Guys Only

Guys Only
Important Classes/ advice for someone starting out
By Jake96 Comments: 2, member since Tue May 18, 2010
On Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 PM

Hey all!,
Unfortunately i am getting a pretty late start with dance and movement (I'm 20) so I'm asking for advice on how to start out/ catch up to an adequate level of dance for my age. I'm not that interested in ballet, I am interested in contemporary forms of dance.

5 Replies to Important Classes/ advice for someone starting out

re: Important Classes/ advice for someone starting out
By jorrdanlewissmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 99, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Tue May 18, 2010 04:19 PM
Really the only way is to shop around for a studio you like then just tell them you are interested in signing up. If you are looking for a professional career out of this it is going to be harder depending on your area as they might only have one or two classes a week that you would be interested in. I dont think it's impossible (not to sure as im more aware of the ballet professional career) however becoming a freelance dancer is also always an option if you aren't look to preform in a company. Back to the classes though I would just go to a studio and tell them what your looking for. They will probally place you in a class appropriate for your age moreso then your ability as your just starting out but you never know. Good luck in this long endevaour :)
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Fri May 28, 2010 12:19 AM
Welcome to the dance world!

I wish you the best in your dance classes! If you really want to become a great dancer BALLET is highly recommened! Doing contemporary and having no ballet background can be very hard and quite dangerous! Contemporary is a very difficult type of dance to learn and you need a very solid core before trying it. Just my opinion .

Many dance studio would not let a person take contemporary without any ballet training. This includes my studio too.

Good luck...

Keep us posted!

Kev
By gdancer7 Comments: 4, member since Wed Jun 02, 2010
On Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 PM
Hey buddy,
I didn't really start studying dance until late in my high school years/ the beginning of college. I know you really want to focus in on contemporary, but I wouldn't rule out ballet totally. I did that at first and although I enjoy other styles a lot more than ballet, I would have deff went back and took more of it. It's pretty much the primary basis for most styles of dance and builds a strong foundation to start from. I'm only in my early 20's and have danced on a bunch of different levels professionally... so it's never to late to start if it's something you really have a passion for. Don't be worried about starting in less advanced classes, you'll build up to them with practice. Deff ask around to see which studio fits you best and take advantage of workshops that may be offered in your area as well. You can always learn something!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:43 AM
If you really want to become a great dancer BALLET is highly recommened! Doing contemporary and having no ballet background can be very hard and quite dangerous! Contemporary is a very difficult type of dance to learn and you need a very solid core before trying it.
This is all just BS. Ballet snobbery.

It's pretty much the primary basis for most styles of dance
WRONG! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! Ballet is the basis for jazz (loosely), modern (sorta), and SOME contemporary. But not ballroom. And not hula. And not African or Caribbean. Hip hop. Tap. Irish. Or any of the thousands of other dance forms.

Jake, you need to find out which studios in your area offer adult beginner classes. If you have a university nearby, you can just call the dance department and ask them for suggestions. Then just take two or three classes with each studio to see which one you like best. Don't buy any package deals until you shop around. Then just keep going to class and practice a lot.
By Jerisonharper Comments: 40, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 03:25 PM
It's just like piano, you can always be a jazz pianist without any classical training but be aware that classical training will help so much in picking up any form of music because you understand the basic rudiments.

Here for dance, ballet is like that. It helps you build the base for dancing. You can still do without it, but better with it. At the end of the day it all depends on how far you want to go or achieve.

Nonetheless, keep dancing! with the passion, you are already a great dancer! =)

ReplySendWatch