Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Thoughts on UDA Camp?
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 24, 2010 08:30 PM

I recently made my school's competitive dance team, and am very excited about camp at our school, but only the Varsity team (I'm an incoming freshman on JV, freshmen can't make Varsity) goes to UDA Camp at a local university. I am very interested in going as an individual, and would just like to hear your thoughts on UDA Camp to help me with my decision.

Thanks so much!

1 Replies to Thoughts on UDA Camp?

re: Thoughts on UDA Camp?
By slice
On Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 PM
I've only ever gone with a team, so I can't say what the individual experience is like.

UDA Camp has always been a great bonding and overall get-to-know-you experience for our team. There are a lot of team-oriented activities (at least the camps I've been to), so I'm not absolutely positive what an individual would do during those times.

Otherwise, the dances taught at camp are so-so. For us these dances usually became sidelines, with an occasional routine used for a game (team routine). As a whole, all of the dances are in a UDA-style, and if you've ever had any interaction with UDA or go to the camp you'll know what I mean. The lyrical isn't quite lyrical, the hip-hop isn't quite hip-hop, and most of the jazz and pom is cutesy. It's not a bad thing, but it's a shift for anyone used to studio dance. The levels range from very easy to somewhat difficult.

Since each dance is learned in a set period of time, it gives dancers a lot of practice with picking up choreography quickly.

As far as building skills there's not much gained. Granted, the UDA staff can only do so much in 3ish days of camp. Each day there is probably 45 minutes to an hour devoted to a type of skill (turns, leaps/jumps, arm motions).

I may have listed quite a few negatives, but I whole heartedly believe UDA Camp has been a beneficial experience every year I've been on dance team. The staff is always friendly and helpful and most of them are very talented dancers in their own right. Personally, I'm not sure if I would go as an individual, just because it seems to be such a team-oriented atmosphere.

ReplySendWatch