Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

how do you counter balance someone?
By clumsyfeet
On Wed May 26, 2010 04:58 PM

My studio's recital is coming soon and my class just finished the poses at the end of our dance. I'm kind of kneeling on one leg and extending my other infront of me. The girl behind me is in an attitude en pointe so she's balancing on my shoulder. The last two times we practiced she's been pretty good about balancing on demi-pointe, but I don't know how she'll be en pointe. If she gets unbalanced I don't know if I could counter-balance her. Any suggestions?

2 Replies to how do you counter balance someone?

re: how do you counter balance someone?
By BalletdogPremium member
On Wed May 26, 2010 11:50 PM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2010-05-26 23:52:03
If I understand your question, I would say the other girl and you just need to practice her standing on pointe while using your shoulder for balance...until she gets the feel of just how to place her weight on you while on pointe.

It's important that you be stable, so if she begins to feel herself "unbalancing," she can balance herself again using your shoulder as if it were a barre.

(Correct me if I misunderstand your question.)

Rick
re: how do you counter balance someone?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu May 27, 2010 05:50 AM
Balletdog has it: the best way you can help is to be very structurally sound. You need to be a balanced, sturdy object which she can gain balance from. I'd also talk to her and say that you've been noticing that she's having some troubles and that why don't you two try to see if you can help her balance if she relies on you a little more.

ReplySendWatch