Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Simple Questions about tights and dance belt
By musialman
On Wed May 26, 2010 07:55 PM

I am in the process of getting tights and dance belts for studying this summer. For dance belts, they say medium is 24-28 inch waist. I wear a 30 for pants. Do you use the same fitting that you would for pants? It just seems strange for me to order a large when I only weigh 130 lbs.

I have several pairs of tight black legging like things made of 90% pollyester and 10% spandex. Could I use these is a ballet class? I think they were designed for running but they look like tights. What about cotton leggings?

5 Replies to Simple Questions about tights and dance belt

re: Simple Questions about tights and dance belt
By pondflyPremium member
On Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 PM
I'm 28" and 10# less. My belt is a small and it is supportive, without being uncomfortable although after 4-5 hours (rare occasions) it does get a little snug.

As for tights I'm using the M Stevens in medium and and large, but the medium fits perfectly. Ask your teacher and most likely you'll be fine unless you're school is strict. The main point is being able to see the leg properly. The looser the fit, the harder it is for the teacher.
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Thu May 27, 2010 09:37 AM
With a 30" waist, a medium should fit you just fine.

My website is still under construction, but for more dance belt information, check it out at

dancebelt.info
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 27, 2010 09:42 AM
well, it sort of depend on the belt you buy. At 130# you are probably a small. Dance belts are not uncomfortable unless you are sitting for a while. I just got a Harmonie dance belt. It's pretty good. As far as tights go, most of the sport type tights running stuff is fine. Get them without zipper is possible you'll understand why when you starting to do battu. Ask your studio what they prefer. The instructor need to see the muscles and you body placement so snug is good.
By Jerisonharper
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:55 PM
I think various brands of dance belt fits differently. I have a few brands of M and they don't fit the same. So its really good to check out the size chart to find out what fits you before you order online. Dance belt is something that is extremely important to be comfortable in, especially during summer intensives where you dance for hours.
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 03:01 PM
Not only do different brands of dance belts fit differently
-MStevens runs about one full size down from most others
But fit can vary even for the same model
-Capezio 5930 (quilted) has no consistency. You might have a medium that fits fine, but the next one you buy could be tiny or huge by comparison. And neither will match your Capezio 26, where you'd want a small.

ReplySendWatch