Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Doctor give me exam when switiching birth control?
By iloveu24_7
On Sat May 29, 2010 01:29 PM

I want to switch my birth control. And I was wondering if when I go in to switch, if my doctor will HAVE to give me a check-up. Or if she will just talk to me and let me leave with out the check-up.
Thanks

9 Replies to Doctor give me exam when switiching birth control?

re: Doctor give me exam when switiching birth control?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 29, 2010 01:39 PM
It depends on the doctor. Some prefer to do a full exam every time you come in to change anything about your birth control, and some don't think it's necessary if you're already getting yearly exams (which you probably should be). I went in to switch to NuvaRing earlier this year, and my doctor just did an outer exam, with no Pap smear, because their office isn't doing them on women under 21 anymore. I'd call your doctor, though, if you're concerned.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 29, 2010 07:15 PM
It might also depend on your insurance company (Or NHS if your in the UK etc) whether or not this would be covered. Some may require you to get an exam to make sure you aren't at risk of the bad side effects of birth control, while others (more likely) they won't want to pay for an extra exam.
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Sat May 29, 2010 07:49 PM
In addition, it depends on your reason for wanting to switch pills. If your reason for wanting to switch BC is cramping and spotting, for example, your gynecologist may want to do an exam to ensure there's nothing else going on.
By emmaleex99
On Sun May 30, 2010 12:20 PM
My gyno always wants to see me before switching anything up, but that's normal for any kind of doctor. They want to see you in person, ask you what problems you're having, and figure out why you want to switch so they can pick something good to switch to. I'd bet on needing at least a checkup.

As for the pelvic exam, it depends on the doctor and the reason. Some doctors are super strict about pelvics (at EVERY visit) and some are really relaxed as long as you're getting one every year.
By forgetxmexnot
On Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 PM
Definitely depends on the doctor. I've had two doctors that have just handed me a script for birth control after just a general physical, but I have heard of doctors doing pap smears or drawing blood.
By Euphoriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 02, 2010 05:19 AM
At no point have I ever had to have a pelvic exam when being given birth control. I'm no doctor, but why on earth would they need to do one, when the most common side effects don't occur down there?! I find that very odd indeed.

The only exams I have had when being given the pill is my weight and blood pressure.

I am in the UK btw, and none of my friends have ever had a pelvic for the pill either. We all get 1 smear test every 3 years. Job done.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:21 AM
^I got one when I was first prescribed birth control, because I never had one before and I was due for one. But I would imagine that they might want to do an exam when switching you if your reason for switching is cramps or bleeding or something; that way they can make sure it's not something more serious that's causing those problems.
By Euphoriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:45 AM
^Yeah, cramps and bleeding didnt occur to me.

If its a change because of moods or the like, I doubt there would be an internal exam. I suppose it depends on where you are in the world, my best friend in Germany seems to have a pelvic exam if she's hurt her little finger or has a headache! She definately gets one if she's switching birth control. In the UK, they really don't do them often.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 02, 2010 09:49 AM
The US recommends a pelvic exam every year after you become sexually active or turn 21, whichever comes first. Its possible that might change with the new health care system.

ReplySendWatch