Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

socks and tights
By MrDancingToes
On Sat May 29, 2010 03:27 PM

Hey, i will be going to san francisco ballet this summer and for their dress code they are asking for us to have white socks and white shoes with black tights. I don't know if i should get footless tights and tuck the black tights under them, or get footed tights and put the socks over them. Does anyone know, based on going to san francisco summer intensive or other program with the same dress code? I would really appreciate the help.

5 Replies to socks and tights

re: socks and tights
By Howtofallover
On Sun May 30, 2010 11:46 AM
Hey, no idea about the dress code for San Fran.

However in general I prefer to have footless tights with white socks as opposed to footed tights with white socks. Yes the footless ones may ride up a little but get long enough socks this isn't an issue. I don't like footed tights with socks as just introduces unnecessary layer between he foot and the shoe.

Not sure if this is any help but tis just my 2 penny worth. Enjoy the ballet!

T.D
By keno
On Sun May 30, 2010 06:46 PM
Edited by keno (66095) on 2010-05-30 18:48:44 grammar error
The less material between your feet and the floor the better; that being said, respect the dress code but minimize the layers.
By DanceJAMPremium member
On Fri Jun 04, 2010 03:54 PM
I would recommend the ankle length socks if they are required. You don't want bulky matrial on your ankles to limit movement. I would respectfully disagree with some earlier posters, however. I prefer to have SOME padding with ballet flats particulaly when doing sweeping movements of the foot/toes on the floor. I often find that it can be uncomfortable dragging the toe tips on the floor without some type of cusion in the shoe.
By luv2plie
On Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 PM
I agree with Dance Jam!

Kev
By MrDancingToes
On Sat Jun 05, 2010 04:24 PM
hey everyone, thanks for the comments and help. I think i will wear footless tights with white socks and just in case, I'll bring footed tights with white socks. I hope everyone has a good summer!

ReplySendWatch