Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

No Pas at my dance school :(
By LiveLoveDance5
On Sat May 29, 2010 03:58 PM

My dance school doesn't offer any pas de deux! There aren't enough guys at my dance school, even though we're partners with the Eglevsky Ballet. It's so gorgeous and I'd love to learn some basic pas steps and whatnot, but where can I learn it (besides a summer intensive)? I live very close to NYC if that helps. Thanks!

3 Replies to No Pas at my dance school :(

re: No Pas at my dance school :(
By Balletdancer980
On Sat May 29, 2010 07:10 PM
I don't live ANYWHERE near you, but, Truthfully, my studio grabbed a few guys from the street once, because most of the guys hadn't showed up......Oh, & by the way, We made sure not to pick homeless, drunk, freaks, anything like that, because we had a beautiful location. I think that the guys were just happy to touch a few pretty girls :D ...This has actually made quite a few talented dancers, because after the first class, they signed up for several classes! And, this would be good for you because the guy would be learning right along with you! :)
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sun May 30, 2010 12:41 AM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2010-05-30 00:49:49
Another possible source of guys is the fathers of the girls. I was once in a fathers-daughters class, where seven girls had their fathers as their partners (the other three girls were partnered by the teacher, another guy and myself). These fathers were not dancers. They were brought in by the pas de deux teacher, who worked to convince them that it would be an excellent opportunity for bonding with their daughters. It was an outstanding success. All ten couples did a several-minute dance choreographed by the teacher for the school's spring performance, and when it was over the cheering, clapping and whistling did not stop for several minutes.

One possibility for you in particular, would be if you could get a male member of your extended family - your dad or brother, an uncle or cousin, even a granddad, or a good male friend of your family - to commit to learning some basic pas de deux with you through private lessons from a qualified pas de deux teacher, or by attending a pas class at another school. (It's crucially important that a pas de deux teacher be qualified, to prevent injuries to the partners from bad instruction, and to teach and foster good pas de deux habits and technique.)

Rick
By luv2plie
On Sun May 30, 2010 03:00 PM
We have a Partnering class at my studio! We are very luck to have over 40 guys at my studio and they all take ballet classes! Most studios don't have enough guys at their studio!

Kev

ReplySendWatch