Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

breast reduction question, is C cup too big?
By primaballerina66
On Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 AM

Hi im a dancer and i am going into a college conservatory program in the fall. I have breast reduction surgery scheduled because I am 115 pounds and my breast size is 32 E. Needless to say its very hard to dance with this so thats why im getting the surgery at first i was going to get a B cup but now i feel that might be to small. Is a C cup too big, do other dancers who are C cups have to wear sports bras under their leotards?

21 Replies to breast reduction question, is C cup too big?

re: breast reduction question, is C cup too big?
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 AM
The size is more dependent on proportions and what looks 'right' for you. Weight and height specs are not allowed on DDN, but a B cup sounds more manageable as a dancer than a C cup. At least, that's what I'd opt for if it were me.

I understand how you feel because my breasts are quite significant for my frame and even when I weighed significantly less than I do know I had breasts and they irritatingly seem to get in the way.

Remember proportion to your frame and what you'd be comfortable with. Otherwise size is subjective / and an individual choice.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 AM
I say if you're going to do it, really do it. A B cup is 'safer' than a 'C' cup, less likely to give you problems. I vote B.
By Live4Dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 AM
I had a reduction several years ago and I went to a B cup, which is perfect. You don't have to wear a bra under a leo but you have enough to for a nice cleavage. You can always were push-up bras if u want an extra. I just love my B size. This is the best thing I've ever done!
I was of similar proportion to you.
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 AM
I've never had a reduction or anything like that, but I have B cups. I had A's when I was younger and dancing more, but then they grew a bit and have turned into B's. I like 'em. :) They aren't miniscule, but I don't need major support in a leo. I rarely wear extra support, actually. Only when the leo is particularly low-cut or I feel like I need a little extra help.

Yes, I agree with the whole proportion-to-your-body thing, but I'm just sayin' B cups are just fine. :)
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 AM
Ask your surgeon. We're not experts. He/She has done a ton of these surgeries and probably knows a lot more about them than we do. ;)
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 AM
I have a B cup. I used to have a C cup (when I was on birth control), and I will be honest and say that I preferred the C...but a B is alright too.

With the C, more shirts of certain styles will fit you right, you can show off, but not show off, and you can still be braless under leos.

I'm small as well, about 120 pounds, and a C cup didn't look large on me at all. I mean, I wasn't a large C cup, but I would definitely fall out of B cup bras!

Do whatever you're more comfortable with.

Another consideration is what Live4Dance said. You can always wear a push up bra. This is something that I would absolutely never do (I believe in showing what you've really got and not parading around with something fake, and I am just not at all comfortable with push up bras), but for some people, it's a great solution!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 AM
I am a C cup (well, that's what size I wear...I might be more of a D cup) and I have to wear a bra under a leo. I don't wear a sports bra, just a regular one because a sports bra doesn't do much good unless it has under-wire and I only have one that has under-wire.
By luceroblanco
On Mon May 31, 2010 04:08 PM
Go for the B cup. When I was in college I was a B cup and my breasts were perfect and perky. I weighed about 115 as well and they really fit my frame. Fast forward, I am now a D cup and there is no way that I could dance without a sports bra. I actually wish I could wear two sports bras when I'm doing jumps!

If you are taking dance seriously then you need to be small. Most of the ladies in my adult ballet class don't ever need to wear a bra. That was me at age 9 and if I were doing ballet professionally I definitely would want to be small on top. A B cup is plenty of breast but not too much that it is bouncing all over. A C cup you are going to need a sports bra underneath.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 06:06 PM
Aah, as a C cup, I wasn't comfortable walking around braless in my own house, much less going braless under a leo to dance class. As a matter of fact, I went braless under a t-shirt once, and my own mom made me go inside and change. If you're a C cup, and you're going braless, you aren't fooling anybody. If you're seriously undergoing a breast reduction surgery SOLELY for dance, then I recommend small. Go B.
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 07:57 PM
I think it really depends.

I'm a C cup but nobody would EVER guess just by looking. I look so much smaller, but I'm not (been fitted multiple times). Like others have said, it really depends on your proportions overall. I can definitely dance just fine in a leo with Cs and don't need to wear a sports bra too.

You can talk to your dr. more about it. I'm like SunshineFace, I'm pretty small and Cs (also because of birth control) don't look big on me at all and are very manageable without a sports bra.

It just depends.
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Mon May 31, 2010 08:11 PM
I weigh about 115 lbs and I'm a 34B. I never have to wear a bra under my leotards as long as they have one one of those built in ones. For me, B's a good size.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 31, 2010 08:19 PM
I wear a 36C and I have to wear a regular bra and a sports bra under my leotard and still have to deal with jiggle, although, adding the sports bra helps a ton. My leotard doesn't have a built in bra either.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 31, 2010 09:39 PM
I'm a 34B and just slightly less than you in the weight dept. I feel very happy with my breast size although I have thought they we're too small in the past. They have grown a bit in the last year to the point where I'm satistifed. I like not having to worry about them in dance and other exercise settings. I also really enjoy being able to wear certain lower cut tops and things without looking like I've got a lot on display, haha.
By RibenaRockstar
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 06:45 AM
Also, I'd take into account your shoulder-to-underbust measurement, because mine's quite small (that is, proportionally, my breasts are high up on my body and then I have a looooong torso) so it makes everything look lower cut than it is. So especially if you have the same issue, then I would go for a B.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 07:29 AM
I would vote for C. Going from an E to a B is very drastic, and you may not be happy after. Like others have said, talk to your surgeon, and look at your body. What do YOU think would look best on you? Keep in mind, you don't dance 24/7. So you won't always be in a leotard.

I'm a 32 or 34B and I'm around 124lbs. I've always wanted to be just a little bigger. I had 34 As for a long time, so I'm more of a small-normal B now. I really wish I was a C. Yes, I have a narrow frame- I'm ectomorphic- meaning a small bone structure, and I lean more toward lanky as opposed to muscular or round. And I still feel that C's would look more balanced on me. Bs are fine too, I'm mostly happy with them.

So, what body type are you? Do you lean more towards mesomorph? I would go C. Ectomorph? B would probably be ok.

I had 2 friends that had reductions. One was a G. I think she had them reduced to like a D. (when she was 19) Well. They grew again lol. So I think she's a DD or DDD now. (She is also heavier since she was then too).
Another friend has not changed since her reduction- think she got it when she was 27 or so. I think she looked better bigger. She did it for back pain, and because her boobs were 2 sizes apart.
Anyway. There's reasons for both sizes. How old are you? Are you sure you're done growing? When did your mom or aunts stop growing? I would ask. That may be reason for a B.

Also- with my B's, I could go braless. They are nice and round and perky, and I still look flat if I just wear a leotard. I hate it.:(

the grass is always greener......
By allegro731member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 05, 2010 09:15 PM
I am a 32F, so I feel your pain! I think if you are doing this for dancing, then a B is going to be best. But you have to remember that is is going to be a big change and it will seem like they are really small at first because you are used to them being so much bigger. Many people who consider breast reductions are unsure about the exact size that they want, and that is what your surgeon is for. Talk to your doctor about what you hope to get out of the procedure and he/she will be able to help you decide what is best for you.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 PM
Just a story about someone I knew in your situation. She had a reduction from a DD to a B for her dance career. Then, after a few years, she had an argumentation done back to a D cup. The reduction didn't help her career at all and left her feeling "less of a woman".

Not saying that this will be your experience, but just something to think about and discuss with your surgeon and a counsellor (pre-op).

Helen
By xBallet_babex
On Wed Jun 09, 2010 07:37 PM
Im about the same weight as you and C cup and it's the right size for me. It can be a pain in the butt for dance or other workouts, because I have to wear 1 good tight sports bra or 2 okay ones. I'm happy with my body though. Going right to a B might be pretty drastic. I think you might be more likely to regret your decision if you do it. Going to a C is going to be a HUGE change by itself. I'm sure there are professional dancers that are C cups.

I'm not an expert, but I had an aunt that has had like 3 breast surgeries because she kept changing her mind about what she wanted. Talking to the surgeon and the counselors might be the best idea.
By sugerplumfairy
On Wed Jun 09, 2010 09:53 PM
If I got a breast reduction I would get them all of like triple a. But of course most people dont want that but I would still go with the B
By tempsleve
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 07:26 AM
in my opinion, a c cup is too big for dance.

im a b cup and i still think that its too big. however, i do ballet. if you jazz or hiphop, a b cup should be fine.
By madseasonPremium member
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 PM
I am a small 32C (I don't want to post my weight but its quite low for my height) and I am a professional contemporary/modern dancer. Every time I get self conscious and mention my breast size, the other dancers I work with roll their eyes and say they are envious and hardly even notice my slightly larger breasts. Even ballet dancers. I think its all in my head.

Yes- I always have to wear a bra and I often WISH I were a B cup- but at the same time, when I have weighed far less and had smaller breasts, I missed my sexier more hourglass shape. So, consider your options and the fact that if you are doing dance other than classical ballet, a small C might be ok.

Also, depending on your frame size, cup size is different. So I think a 32C is a smaller cup size than a 38C... So because you have tiny bones like me, a B might be better for you.

ReplySendWatch