Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
New member question: Unitard
By MrRed
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 03:51 AM

Hi all.

I've read through a few of the multiple of posts regarding tights et al, and I see no mention of unitards.

Now I danced as a child, and recently decided to start again; as many are, I'm the only man in the class - no matter which studio I go to - and also like many, I prefer it a bit traditional, so no sweat pants. Plus, I'm in florida, and it's hot.

So I typically wear a unitard with a close-fitting tshirt over that; am I alone with that? I would have thought that made more sense that having to adjust one's tights - something I always hated as a boy.

cheers

25 Replies to New member question: Unitard

re: New member question: Unitard
By Nutcracker_Boy
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:04 PM
I like unitards because they don't need a belt to hold them up, so no pinching around the waist. I always wear a t-shirt over mine.
By jly_dance
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 01:11 PM
I had to wear a unitard twice ( for a show) and I didnt like how it is so gripping on your body..i personally think that regular tights and white shirt are better
By MrRed
On Tue Jun 01, 2010 01:27 PM
Right; I like that I don't have to adjust, and that it does grip the body. It just seems a little much for class without the tshirt, you know?

I also do triathlons, and both the wetsuit and a trisuit are pretty similar...I wonder how hot it would have to get here in FL to go from a unitard to a biketard?
By jly_dance
On Wed Jun 02, 2010 02:03 PM
haha I'm guessing pretty hot. YEs, it does seem a little too much for class.
By TidalWhale
On Tue Jun 08, 2010 07:26 AM
I very often wear a unitard and tee shirt to class. When it gets really hot i just fold up the pants so they are shorts! Its a win-win!
By balletlad20
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:10 AM
Definitely prefer unitard in the summer but in the winter I prefer tights and either a leotard or t-shirt
By DanceJAMPremium member
On Fri Jun 11, 2010 07:34 AM
I'm always worried about looking "chunky" in a unitard. I think you need a really long (and lean!) body to get away with wearing them.
By jly_dance
On Sat Jun 12, 2010 01:30 PM
I agree. You do need a small, thin body for unitards. I'm not fat, but I just look horrible in them. They pull over my ribs and make me look anorexic! I just hate the pictures that were taken of me in a unitard!
By MrRed
On Sat Jun 12, 2010 02:36 PM
I figure I'm about 5# over where i'd like to be (I'm 155 & 5-8), but hey, at 40 you can't ask for too much.

Plus I run, I bike, I climb, I swim...dancing is just a single element...and though I am, of course, wearing a belt, the t-shirt over seems essential, so the small 'love handles' I've acquired are covered. All I need to do is find another one or two unitards that fit me right and I'm good to go. Suggestions? I just got one that happens to be too small, and that means that it's just too translucent for a male dancer...i'm really annoyed, but who's going to let you send back a unitard after you've worn it?
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:09 PM
Even minor love handles can make a unitard look like an over-stuffed sausage casing. Add in the inevitable dance belt waistband outline interrupting the smooth line, and you have an excellent reason to wear a t-shirt.
By Doctor_Dancebelt
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 PM
MrRed wrote:

All I need to do is find another one or two unitards that fit me right and I'm good to go. Suggestions? I just got one that happens to be too small, and that means that it's just too translucent for a male dancer...i'm really annoyed, but who's going to let you send back a unitard after you've worn it?

Unitards are usually unisex sizing, so add one full size to whatever you think you need. Your 155 pound frame would probably require a LARGE if you bought an MStevens unitard. What size/brand did you get?
By Jerisonharper
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 03:29 PM
I just gotten the Capezio unitard and fell in love with wearing unitard to tights. They simply hold so well! I start the class wearing a t-shirt over and after the barre, I would take off the t-shirt for centre work (its just so hot during summer!)

I do agree with the fact that a little love handle or tummy makes one look funny in unitard.
By yostretch
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:45 AM
I always think it comes down to what feels good when you wear it ...each guy is going to be different. I enjoyed wearing untiards when I danced but also like cut off tights and tights witha belt. The only thing i did not like was those suspenders. They always made my shoulders hurtÂ…

So wear what ever make you feel right to dance in
By jly_dance
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:52 PM
i have never tried to wear a unitard to class because of the bad experience i have and with them in previous shows. i looked through the pictures of these shows and my technique was fine but the unitard looked horrible! i wish that these pics would just disappear!
By fg_1977
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 PM
Try getting a black color long-sleeved fully footed
turtle-neck unitard.

Bal-Togs makes a really good one for dance.
By male39
On Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 AM
I prefer to wear tights and t-shirt. I too am on the chunky side and I want to hide as much as I can and I have a unitard I wear when I ride my bike and I think it makes me look fatter than I acutally am.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 02, 2010 01:45 PM
I've always found unitards hotter to wear than tights and a tee. But I do wear them in the winter.
By kaiba101
On Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:52 PM
Hmm... a unitard? As long as you tuck in your tights pretty well you should be okay right? That hadn't really occurred to me. I've always just thought about getting the leo, tights, and belt. But then like my friend told me, it's not about what you wear that makes you a dancer it's about Dancing!
By lego
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 PM
i think it's comfortable dance with unitard, as long as the size are match to your body...
By balettosmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 02:49 PM
In the last years I wear only unitards which are comfortable and I rather like them than leggings with white shirt or leotard. I preffer footed style with short or long slaved.
By luv2plie
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:08 PM
As a Guy...I wear a white t-shirt and black tights for ballet classes! A dance belt and also white ballet shoes.

Kev
By luv2plie
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:09 PM
As a Guy...I wear a white t-shirt and black tights for ballet classes! A dance belt and also white ballet shoes.

Kev
By tampamatt
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 PM
new to ballet also and can relate to the unitard. In florida also and yeah, trying to stay comfortable is def a challenge and like just the t shirt over the unitard.
By jocknballettight
On Wed Dec 22, 2010 06:15 AM
I am huge fan of M STEVENS tights and I prefer the look of unitard too..BUT too often have bought unitards form either M STEVENS BLOCH BALTOGS and was disappointed in fit look SO i got clever and being a bit handy with needle and tread would sew elastic suspender like material to waist of reg tights..therefore creating a unitard that fit the way I like...NO leaning over pulling up sagging tights..
AND yes I guess you have to be comf in unitard BUt you can still wear tee or half tee over...the teacher can still see your line etc
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch