Forum: Arts / Acting

A Crazy Question Regarding Mafia Control of Famous Actors
By Cosine
On Sat Jun 05, 2010 07:07 PM

Hello, dear merry ones!

Please don't think my question is too strange to answer; I feel awkward asking it, but even if you would say I'm an idiot to fear such things, I'd be glad to get it off my mind.

You see, my parents say acting is not a good career because mafia members tend to seek out famous persons and control them at gunpoint. One actress was raped and a video of that was released to the internet. Several commit suicide to escape the mafia; in fact, I wonder if the supermodel Ruslana Korshunova was killed by them as well, as the suicide theory made no sense.

However, they speak of eastern places like China and Korea; I can't imagine that Mr. Depp or Branagh are at the mercy of anyone. Are young actresses vulnerable to such organized crime? Are certain places more safe than others?

That said, how would a young actress protect herself from the mafia? Do actresses generally hire bodyguards?

Er, thanks for putting up with my unusual sort of question. I know this may not be appropriate; feel free to delete it, but please help me shed some light on this--thing--! I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

5 Replies to A Crazy Question Regarding Mafia Control of Famous Actors

re: A Crazy Question Regarding Mafia Control of Famous Actors
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:08 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but here in Australia, most actors are left alone by the paparazzi, do their own grocery shopping and generally live normal lives unless they seek out trouble (eg get involved in drugs etc). I do not know of anybody in the entertainment industry in Australia who is being controlled by organised crime gangs.

Here, that concept would be pure fiction.

Also, the number of actors that reach those lofty levels of fame are a very small percentage of all working actors (not to mention non-working actors).

Helen
By Cosine
On Tue Jun 08, 2010 09:19 AM
Thank you so much, Ms. Helen! I'm very glad for your comment; perhaps the crime levels are different in differing regions. At least Australia is safe. Hopefully others places are, as well.

Once again, thanks for your comment.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 08, 2010 02:36 PM
I think that's probably something that happened alot back in the day. The FBI has reduced the mafia in the US to nearly something in the history books - they aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be. I think your parents are just being overprotective. :)
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 08, 2010 03:49 PM
I am an actress in Canada and I find here you do not have to worry about anything really. You may get stopped on the street for an autograph but I know a few actors and actress's who have been on huge TV shows, some popular in the states as well, and they walk around like normal people. They don't have body guards or anything.

I know in the states it is different. If you get big then you would need a body guard and I know some have gotten stalkers, but they have all gotten locked up.

I really don't think you have to worry about the mafia and people controlling what you do. Once you get really really big you have a lot of people on your team that would know if something were up.

In regards to if one place is more safe then another, I think I would feel safer being a big actress living in Vancouver or Toronto (both in Canada) or even New York, then if I were to live in LA.
By Cosine
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:55 AM
Very much thanks to both!

I am so glad that organized crime isn't something to fear so much. My parents only hear about the Chinese and Korean film industries; I'll try to find somewhere safe.

Once again, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

ReplySendWatch