Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

New classess -advice
By balletlad20
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 06:11 AM

Hi guys. I've just taken up ballet classess (at the youthful age of 23) and have started in a small school with private lessons and will soon move into classes. My only concern is that I will be the only guy, from experience us it better to be in male only classes to develop? The school is good and the teacher is really nice and positive but I was just wondering I'd I should seek a larger school with a guys class?

8 Replies to New classess -advice

re: New classess -advice
By MrRed
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 07:18 AM
At your level, it won't matter. Just take the classes where you are. You like where you are, stay where you are & learn the basics. At the point where you really think the teacher or the class is holding you back (200+ classes/lessons from now, likely) then explore some other schools.
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 09:40 AM
I was the only male in my class for the first six months unless someone dropped in to make up a class. The instructors and classmates all were very good and made sure the I was learning what I needed.
Having a Coed class is better IMHO as both parties can see the subtle differences in the dance and also if the instructor wants to do a little partnering.

Don't worry you're a rare commodity and most places will be more than willing to make sure you are learning what you should.
By luv2plie
On Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:49 PM
I would continue to take the CO - ed ballet classes for now......In a few years that might change . Learn the basics of ballet and have fun!

Keep on dancing

Kev
By rmdanceguy1
On Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:33 PM
I agree. For learning the basics in technique, stay in the coed classes. Guys only classes are non-existent in my area. So, you might be hard pressed to find a true guys class in another studio. I am sure when it is time for you to be taught men's technique by a male teacher she will tell you. It will be a while though.
By DanceJAMPremium member
On Thu Jun 17, 2010 07:50 AM
Definitely stay in the mixed class. I think you will find that most instructors are incredibly accomodating towards guys. I also personally feel that you will get more out of the classes if they are mixed.
By jly_dance
On Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 PM
just because your the only guy doesnt mean that you wont benefit from the class
By stormshadow
On Sat Jun 19, 2010 02:10 AM
I've been the only guy in ballet class before. You do get used to it. The nice thing is that the females in class are usually ecstatic at the idea that they finally have a guy in their class. Sometimes it also fares well for the guy because some studios are desperate enough to have guys that they will give discounts or let them take class for free. It's not too often, but it does actually happen. Though, don't just assume that off the bat, but you never know... In then end, you'll find that it won't matter as you'll be more concentrated on doing well that you won't notice that you're the only guy, and that's really how it should be to my viewing.
By Jerisonharper
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 03:24 PM
I am the only guy in some of my ballet classes and in my case, I am really lucky because the teacher pay a lot more attention to me and spend time correcting my mistakes. My teacher also teaches me some steps/variations for men when we do class so with the same music, I do a slightly different step from the girls.

It is extremely difficult to get enough boys at the same level to start a boy's class. Perhaps only those big ballet schools and/or during summer intensives, we find boy's class.

But in any case, I think mix class is fine and I learn a lot from them.

ReplySendWatch