Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

First Car!
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 01:06 AM

So, I was driving around my Mom's ugly old grand am for the last two years, which I absolutely hated with a passion. Anyway, my Mom bought a new Yukon last week, and left the ugly grand am at the dealership, so I was sans cars for a few days ("No! You can't drive my new car!")

Today we went car hunting. I've ALWAYS been a diehard volkswagen fan, and I decided I really wanted a VW Golf. My stepdad, who owns a car restoration business and rebuilds cars (he does some work with Chip Foose/on his cars, so he knows his stuff) told me a VW was a good, reliable first car. So, we went hunting. I was looking mainly at '97-'00's, but they were all either standard (i can barely drive automatic!) or had rust/too high kms/were sold when we called about them/were fourdoor (step said no four doors!).

We drove around to no avail. Finally stopped at this teeny-tiny car lot in New West Minster, and saw my baby. I adored it, but thought for sure it would be standard, so I wasn't even going to walk across the lot to look at it. Steo convinced me to just go check it out, so I did.

AUTOMATIC. I almost like, screamed a bit. Car dealership dude gave us the keys, (he was on the phone) and told us to look at it. So we started it.. it has low kms for it's age (184k, and vw's last FOREVER), no rust, fairly clean, new soft top (1yr old!), power steering, power windows, a glass back window instead of a plastic window.. it was basically perfect.

The car dealer came over and told us about the car (it sounded awesome! one owner, only one small accident in 1991 that was under $1700, that it had consistant aircare and icbc reports, no liens etc.) "but there's some bad news" he finished, and I braced myself; "it's on hold for a lady who is coming to look at it tomorrow, because she's thinking of buying it for her daughter as a grad gift"

We test drove it anyway, first with top up, then with top down. I LOVED IT. I was kinda sad, cause I figured.. '90's are rare in automatic, and in this good of shape, according to step, so they'll probably buy it.

Car dude said if I loved it, he'd call the other lady and ask her if he could sell it. So he went and called, came back and said "well, she's not happy about it, but she said go ahead if you want it" I felt kinda bad but.. I was in love. So, we bought it, for a little less than the sticker price- they were asking $3850, he gave it to us for $3600, and no dealership or paperwork fees. Awesome.

So, it's a grey-blue 1990 Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet, automatic, two door.

I adore it, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I quite like it.

Stepdad is going to restore it a bit, change some things up, and get some seat covers, cause the seats are kind of bad, but anyway. Yay for first cars! I might add more pictures tomorrow, it has a cool aftermarket shifter! haha.

5 Replies to First Car!

re: First Car!
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 02:01 AM
Amazing! I am so jealous!

Which engine size is it?
Lauren
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 04:22 AM
Yay!! A VW Golf 1 Cabrio was my first car as well. It was a 1988 model in dark blue with automatic transmission. My second and current car is also a Golf 1 Cabrio but from 1990, in white and standard. :)

I hope you love it as much as I do!! They are really great cars!
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 07:15 AM
It's so cute and very unique! You'll turn heads for sure driving in that ;)
At least it doesn't look like the car everybody else is driving, you know?

Just a tip. If you live in an area that rains, please please please turn your headlights on when it's gray out or raining in the day time and night time (of course).

Personally speaking it's very scary when I'm driving in said conditions and there's a gray car without it's lights on, because they are VERY hard to see due to blending in with the weather, and a person could just happen upon you way too close if they're not paying attention. (hasn't happened to me, but I don't want it to.)

So yes. A very big plea from me to turn your lights on in inclement weather!!!!

Justine

ps-sorry about the little soap box rant
By Sumayah
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 PM
Congrats! It seems like the planets lined up in order for you to find that car - it's always nice when that happens! :D
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 PM
Have your stepdad check to see if they upgraded the AC from R-12 to R-134. You would need a miracle to find R-12 anymore and if you did it would cost an arm and a leg.

ReplySendWatch