Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Turnboard? Does It Work?
By RileyMoo
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 PM

I've been seeing this thing called the Turnboard that basically is designed to minimize the friction between your foot and the floor and let you turn faster.

Go to this link I found for more and a video...

balletisfun.com . . .

But what do you think? would it really help? does it really work? because it seems to me that not going on releve and turning on flat on this board could allow you to make technical errors like shifting your weight into your heels..... what is your opinion? have you ever tried one?

I do have a harder time with turns/pirouettes. most of the time i just can't get around those extra times. hmm...

5 Replies to Turnboard? Does It Work?

re: Turnboard? Does It Work?
By YellowFairy
On Mon Jun 14, 2010 05:05 PM
I have one. It's a little scary to use on some floors, but I find that it helps some pretty specific things. It's very helpful in aiding you to spot correctly for multiple turns. I had a hard time spotting consistently and quickly enough for multiple turns, but having the turnboard really got me in the rhythm of snapping my head around properly. Also, I find that you start becoming more aware of the placement of your body while turning with a turnboard. I became much more in tune with the small minor adjustments I needed to make to keep my body in the proper axis to turn - now I'm unafraid to make those same tweaks/adjustments while I'm actually in the process of turning on pointe or demi. Surprisingly, even though we're standing flat footed on the turnboard, it really helps to improve your turns. I think it gets dancers over the fear of multiple rotations too.
By rebornballerino
On Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:12 PM
Fun? sure why not.

detrimental to technique? yes. all it would do is train you to not be on your toes in a turn also making you shift back out of your pelvis.

in my opinion
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:42 PM
Again, it depends on how the dancer can compartmentalize. I had a teacher who used it all the time and he was known in the professional company that he worked for to be an excellent multiple turner. He would routinely do 8+ rotations, and he used the board easily. THis was because he could compartmentalize "this is how I turn on the board" and "This is how I turn off the b oard". Dancers who can't do that WILL get caught up in turning on their heel, but dancers who can will find it to be a good aide in learning multiple-turn technique while still figuring out the force-balance equation.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 PM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2010-06-14 23:05:54
It does look like fun. And it might be an aid to learning. It doesn't look that different from turning on ice skates. Anyone who both skates and dances knows how to turn both on releve and on flat. It's not that big a deal!

Of course, good skaters whip around so fast they can't spot with their heads, only with their eyes. I wonder if this gizmo could be used to practice fast skating turns during the summer. On skates, although I never learned to turn really fast, I could do slow spins without getting terribly dizzy. But I didn't learn how to spot really fast with just my eyes and I would still like to. It is interesting that my ballet teacher tells me I must remember to spot with my head because sometimes I do spot only with my eyes!

And, too, I've seen videos of dancers turning on flat, keeping the pirouette going and going by rocking the foot. I remember an old video of Alicia Alonso's students during earlier years of the Cuban Ballet -- maybe the early '60s -- with one very talented boy, about the age of 13, who started a pirouette en dehors in the usual way but, to keep it going when momentum slowed, took his leg from passe to attitude derierre and just kept turning forever on flat.

I think the more versatile a dancer is, and the more adept in moving in all sorts of styles and ways, the better dancer (s)he becomes even in his/her preferred style.

Maybe I'll ask for the turnboard as a Christmas toy.
By roomx7609
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:00 AM
I bought this because I'm a horrible turner and I never use it anymore.
It's terrifying to use. Seriously. I've tried it on every floor in my house and the darn board will slip out of its location, which is how I can fall right over. I wanted it because I thought it would help me fix any postural mistakes I make during turns--and it does: if you aren't in PERFECT alignment, you fall right over (at a high velocity, I might add). I never feel secure enough to get all the way up to passe because then my foot can't go down for security if I would fall...so I do turns in coupe. The best way to use it (my way) is to stand near a countertop, but not so close that your knee could hit it in passe. This way, I can have an emergency plan if I fall, and also it helps to GENTLY "push" off when I'm warming up to the board, before I do it independently.
I honestly have no idea how the girl in the video does fouettes on this thing. It's terrifying!
I would save your $30. It's a lot of money. You could buy a leo and tights for that, and then just ask your teacher for turning advice.

PS it scratched my mom's prized hardwood floor...so careful...

ReplySendWatch