Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Do I text him first?
By lottiekinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:28 AM

Basically I am pretty newly single after a 3 year relationship (which was probably too much too young but we won't get into that now) and I'm pretty useless at it so far!
Anyway I was talking to this guy yesterday who I've been friends with for like 2 years. I haven't spoken to him for ages and he just texted me out of the blue. So we had a nice texty chat. Then I came online and he was on and we started talking like normal. Then completely randomly he was like 'I think you're really hot' and being the loser I am I said 'really?' so then he went on about all the things he likes about me. I was just like thanks. Anyway we carried on chatting about stuff and he had to go. He knew I had a day off today and he said 'oh good texting you will keep me entertained at work'.
So now its today.. do I text him first or wait till he texts me? I feel like such a loser that I don't know what to do haha :)

9 Replies to Do I text him first?

re: Do I text him first?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 03:17 AM
You certainly don't need to wait until he texts you, but definitely wait a few days (AT LEAST 3 DAYS - but that's just my rule) before you contact him again. Unless you want to seem like a crazy, desperate stalker.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 03:21 AM
I don't buy the three day rule. You look like a stalker if you text him asking where he is and what he's doing, or what he's thinking, or just say "hi". Text him only if you actually have something to say. A proper question to ask, a continuation to a previous conversation (except for "say more nice things about me"), etc etc. Don't text him for the sake of it and for God's sake don't obsess* about what to send.

* Obsess, obssess? It really doesn't look right either way.
re: Do I text him first? (karma: 1)
By luceroblanco
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 06:12 AM
Wait for him to text. And then quit the texting ASAP and go out for goodness sake. Why waste time texting when you could actually see and be with the person.
By lottiekinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:43 PM
I didnt text :)
and he did.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:44 PM
How old are you? :?
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:00 PM
I agree with Louise I do not do 3 day rules or any dating rules. Its just not me. If someone texts me I may sit on it a bit but otherwise I usually text back quickly.

I love texting. My friends all live least an hour away from me and most work opposite to my 9 to 5. I do not like calling as know they might be at work. I am a talkative person and like texting people. I agree with Louise do not text for the sake of it or obsess. Even the couple of guys I like live away and so texting is best thing, yes I know its not the same as seeing them but that's my only choice.

Nic
By irenie_poomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 PM
I don't text the guy first ever until I get to know them. If its a nice guy that you really feel relaxed and just chilled talking to than you don't really have to wait to long (I mean after he's texted you first a couple times of course :))
By dancin_til_death
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:38 AM
I think anyone is allowed to sms first, and about anything too... HOWEVER if they don't reply, or reply really briefly then don't be encouraged. There's this guy who always sms's me and talks to me on facebook and I try really hard to be disinterest, half he ime I don't reply yet he still keeps on at it. Soo annoying.

I also like to take turns in who starts the convo. Ie if I'm always starting it, I'll generally not be starting them for very long.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 09:14 AM
Sorry, panic, I don't agree with the three day rule (or any day rule really). Why play games? I've had guys text me saying they had a good time and we should hang out again only a few hours after the date ended. I didn't think it was creepy, I thought it was sweet.

Now, since you didn't really go on a date, that does change things a bit. As Louise said, if you have a legitimate question to ask, go for it. Once you get more comfortable with one another or establish a relationship, then you can contact him just to chat. I hate making up reasons to talk to people, especially people I know well. It just seems silly to me.

ReplySendWatch