Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Irish - Technique & Training
Taped feet and ankle, rocks get unlocked en>fr fr>en
By moooony Comments: 50, member since Thu Sep 04, 2008
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:12 PM

Due to very bad sprains with my ankle I can't dance without taping me feet and ankle.
No excercise will help to fix my ligaments that I can dance without tape.
I'm also scared dancing without taped feet.

But since I have to tape my feet my rocks are unlocked because I can't role my ankle enough. Before that I had fantastic rocks
Now I always get the comment and marks down because of unlocked rocks.
Should I take them out from my dances or is there an other possibility?

9 Replies to Taped feet and ankle, rocks get unlocked

re: Taped feet and ankle, rocks get unlocked en>fr fr>en
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17064, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:54 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-06-15 13:57:05
If you are rolling your ankles when you rock then that right there is why you have such horrible ligament injuries. You have been taught them the incorrect/dangerous way. Take them out immediately. I actually can't believe your teacher is still letting you do them.

Who told you you can't dance unsupported? Who told you there are "no exercises"? Have they ever seen you Irish dance - do they know what it involves? I can't imagine someone who knows anything about Irish dancing saying yeah...your ankles are mush but tape 'em up and you'll be fine.

Get a second opinion on your condition - there may be something that can be done with physiotherapy or even surgery. If you truly can't dance unsupported and have been told that it'll be that way forever, then I question whether you should be doing such a high-intensity form of dancing, I really do. But I doubt that's actually the case - get an expert's advice (i.e. a real person in front of you, not here or elsewhere on the web), get some exercises, and DO them.
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:13 PM
I am my own teacher...I have to make the decision if I keep on dancing my rocks.

I saw a couple doctors and all of them told me that my ankle can only be strong again with a surgery. but I can't fined the bravery to do a surgery as I'm scared I could never dancer after that.
I see phisiotherapist every week to do exercise and I do my excercises at home, but they stability just grew a very little bit.
Taping works fine so far. it also gives me a good strong feeling.I know that my ankles are mush.
But the love to ID can't take me away from dancing just because my ankles are mush. I'm on my way into Open level so there is no oportunity than going on dancing ;)

Maybe there is another way of taping that a rock is possible? :?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17064, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:19 PM
How are you your own teacher and also competing?

I understand how scary surgery sounds but if you need it, you really should have it. Imagine if you landed a leap and went over on your ankle now - my ankles are starting to hurt just thinking about it - you might not dance again in that case too, and have enough trouble walking and whatnot.

How long have you been seeing the physiotherapist? These things take time - don't give up on them!

I'm going to go through all my old posts on rocks and post the links here for you to read.
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 02:27 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-06-15 14:57:45
Meh - forget that, I made a new post:

www.dance.net . . .
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 791, member since Wed May 24, 2006
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 03:34 PM
Louise wrote:

How are you your own teacher and also competing?

just thought i would post to say that moooony is from mainland europe (germany i think) and competes ant a few WIDA feiseanna, which is how she is her own teacher
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 03:36 PM
So anyone can enter? I didn't realise. Gosh.
By lightfoot_champmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 791, member since Wed May 24, 2006
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 03:42 PM
yeah that's the beauty of open platform it opens up competitions to those who otherwise might not have a chance, you can even be a dancer who has no school if you want ie, moved away and are yet to join a school and enter a WIDA in that time
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 706, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 06:07 PM
Hey! I'm in the same boat! My ankles both need surgery-permenant sprains. Ligament damage. One is worse, but still. When they are not bothered or swollen, rocks aren't too difficult to do, and yes I tape my ankles. (I'm not the best at rocks in both directions, but I can get by)
The way I tape is to keep any tape OFF my arch. I keep it all coming from around the same spot beneath my heel and then pull it forward and around my ankle. This gives my support, but also allows movement. Tape has been proven to not provide much support anyway, after about 5 minutes, but it serves as a reminder and helps me stay connected, alert, and aware of my flimsy ankles.
I got the idea of taping like this after years of dealing with it and also trying many different types of supports. The best I found was the Aircast Sport. It braced my ankle, but still allowed an incredible range of motion.
As far as the issue of being scared to dance, yes, it is scary. But if you want to keep dancing you have to work with that and try to move forward. Always see a doctor anyway, and listen to your body. If you are in too much pain don't dance and all that logical stuff..
You have to build confidence in your feet and body again, though. Take out moves that are "dangerous" or "risky" for you. Do not do them. Find other moves that showcase YOUR abilities as a dancer. That is why there are different styles-there are many different dancers! Find a style that works for you and gives you confidence and I guarantee you will get that surity in your steps back!
I have also found that doing any strengthening with a theraband helps and works wonders in terms of strengthening even the weakest of ankles- like mine!
Strengthen your core and upper legs as well. You may be "resting" in your knees or putting too much stress on your ankles because you are not "pulling up" enough. Try and remove some of that stress by strengthening your core and legs and that will do wonders as well!
Anyway, I hope this helps.
On Thu Jun 17, 2010 03:13 AM
Thanks for all replays.
Yes I'm with wida in mainland europe...

I didn't get ligament injuries from rocks, It happend in a leap.
Thanks Loise. I wil give my physiotherapist a bit more time and I will see if I can work on my rocks.

Krystalgillies..maybe you tip with taping without the arch will fix my problem.I wil try that.

Thanks girls!

ReplySendWatch