Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Getting birth control from a doctor?
By dancebabe11
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 09:39 AM

Hey guys,
I've been on birth control for a year now and I was getting it from Planned Parenthood so I never had to really see a doctor for it. My mom recently got a new job that switched our insurance and planned parenthood doesn't accept my new insurance. I need to stay on birth control (I have a boyfriend) but I would really rather not tell my mom. i'm 18 so it's not like I'm really young or anything.

Mainly I wanted to know if I can get on birth control through a normal family doctor and if my insurance covers it will it show up on the bill or how does that work. Like I said I'd rather just not have my mom know, although I would talk to her if there was no way around it.

11 Replies to Getting birth control from a doctor?

re: Getting birth control from a doctor?
By MissErinDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 AM
So in Canada there are two ways the insurance accepts claims/medications. You'll either submit your insurance to the pharmacy and the discount will be taken off automatically -or- you pay the full amount and you send in your receipt to your insurance company and they send you a cheque for the portion they cover.

As for the doctor, schedule a pelvic exam since you're sexually active and make sure you talk to her about birth control. Since you're 18 you'll obviously be able to obtain the birth control without your mom knowing, but I'm not sure how it will show up on her insurance receipt.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 AM
I don't know about others but Tri-care (my insurance) always sends me a thing in the mail showing that they covered so much of my birth control and whatnot. I don't know if it shows up on the bill for insurance though.

Why not just tell your mom you need bc for your period if you're uncomfortable telling her any other reason?
By dancebabe11
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 AM
I was thinking about doing that but then I'm afraid she already knows I'm on it and she knows I've been dating this guy for a year now so I feel like she just assumes and we aren't very close so we don't really talk about things like that. But I'm thinking about just talking to her about it...

And also, I can get it through a family doctor right? Or do I have to go to a ob/gyn?
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 AM
^Depends on the place...my family doctor does it but I don't think all do.
By dancebabe11
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:17 PM
Well I don't really have a regular family doctor right now so I'm gonna try to do some research and try to find one that does. Thanks!
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 AM
Even if you do talk to a doctor, you need to check with your insurance company to make sure they cover birth control. I have Aetna and they don't, so BC would be ridiculously expensive even if I got it through a doctor - I think it was $60 a pack for the pill. I wound up lying to Planned Parenthood and saying that I don't have insurance so I get reasonably priced birth control.
By dancebabe11
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:50 AM
Heart: And they didn't check or anything? I really think I told them when I was younger that I didn't have any adn then I finally told them I did when I turned 18 because I thought they'd amke me pay for it then. Are you older than 18 and they still don't check or make you pay anything?
By forgetxmexnot
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 09:55 PM
I've always just gone to my general doctor for it too. I've seen two and they both prescribed it to me. I don't really have health insurance and they just prescribe me a generic that I can get filled at Wal-Mart for $9 a pack which I don't think is bad at all. It's Tri Sprintec.
By dancebabe11
On Thu Jun 24, 2010 08:20 AM
Oh ok thanks! I made an appointment in 2 weeks for my general doctor so I'm hoping that'll work out.
By DancePrincess827member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 09:55 PM
Your family doctor can definitely write a prescription for birth control. As for having it show up on a statement or receipt, I think that depends on the insurance company. None of my medications have ever showed up online on our statements and I've never gotten anything in the mail about it. I suppose for some people they might, but as for me, I didn't.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 02:50 PM
They don't check. There's no way to, really, and they don't have the resources. PP is on a sliding scale that I don't know the details of, but if you are poor enough you don't actually have to pay anything, you get services for free.

The prices did go up after I turned 21. (I think it was 21? It might have been twenty.) The pill went up from $9 to $18. That is across the board, the prices do go up when you hit that age. It's still MUCH more reasonable that going through insurance.

You can always call your insurance company and ask what shows up on your statement.

ReplySendWatch