Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Mom wants me on the pill.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 PM

My grandma told my mom that she wants me on the pill because she doesn't want me to get pregnant, and my mother agrees, but my mother puts it across as lighter, scheduled period and clear skin, which is true, but she really wants me on it for the birth control.

I don't want on birth control, because my period is pretty regular except when I'm stressed, and I've grown used to it. I also don't date or have sex, so I don't feel as though I actually need it. I also don't want hormones that aren't natural in my body. Plus, I'm honestly completely forgetful about taking pills daily, weekly, ect. Even simple 5-day antibiotics takes me 9 days to finish.

I've told my mom that I don't want on it, but she keeps nagging me about it. Should I just give in and get the pill or get her to leave me alone about it?

22 Replies to Mom wants me on the pill.

re: Mom wants me on the pill.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 PM
Stand your ground. Explain to her that if and when you become sexually active, you'll remember and appreciate how strong of an advocate she was for you to be safe--because that really is an awesome thing to have in a parent--but that right now, you just don't feel you need it. She can't force you into it. Don't feel bad about standing up to her...I feel like when we respect our parents, it gets really hard to disagree with them, and sometimes it feels like any small clash (like my mom disagreeing with my tattoo affinity) is a huge rift that we'll never ever solve. But your health is absolutely your responsibility and your decision, and it seems like now is the perfect time for you to start showing her that.
By Nayeli
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 03:25 PM
If you don't need it don't go on it because when I got off of it my aunt flo went crazy (3-4 a month and then every 3 months). And also I had really severe cramping due to an ovarian cyst that was caused from goin goff the pill. So I really do not recommend it unless necessary.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 03:47 PM
^And my body gets along perfectly with hormonal bc, both the pill and the Ring...just because you reacted that way doesn't mean everyone will. There are tons of different kinds of pills, and no one's the same. Piano_on_Pointe, you shouldn't get on the pill if you don't want to, but realize that everyone reacts differently to hormonal birth control, and that shouldn't be a reason to scare you off.
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 03:51 PM
Piano_On_Pointe, I'm on of the low dose pills. I went on as a form of birth control. I no longer need it as birth control anymore but I stay on it because it helps me regulate my period, which is especially useful for dancing. I have a white costume for one of my competition pieces and although leaking isn't a massive issue for me, I like being able to skip my period for a performance so I don't have to worry. It helped a little with my skin, but to be honest it hasn't made any massive changes. I still have to make sure I was my face everyday and all that jazz and it hasn't helped my back pimples AT ALL.

If you don't want to go on the Pill then don't. It has its benefits, like I mentioned above, but there's no point doing something that you don't want to do. Stand your ground. Its your decision whether to go on the Pill or not.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 03:54 PM
I think the best way to go at it is "Before I become sexually active, I will look at birth control and choose what is best for me, but for now my reproductive tract is doing just fine." Not just saying 'no' but saying 'I will when there's a reason'.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 05:19 PM
If they're holding their ground, and it seems like they are, then research alternatives. I'm on Mirena, and I ADORE it. I'm always protected, I never have to remember to take a pill, and it's all but stopped my periods (I get the odd spotting a few times a year. That's about it).

With my mom, I've learned that it's not so much about saying NO, as it is coming up with a backup plan. :)
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 08:32 PM
I'm with you about unwanted hormones in my body. I AM sexually active and I still don't use hormonal BC. Explain to your mom that you aren't in the right time of your life for sex yet but that you are appreciative of her being so open about this. Thank her for being so great, not everyones mom
Is
By madseasonPremium member
On Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:09 AM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2010-06-23 00:18:20
I don't use hormonal birth control pills- I took them and had horrible experiences. I also have a friend who was perfectly healthy until paralyzed by a BC induced stroke. I don't like messing with my hormones. I have been sexually active for about 9 years, have never been pregnant and I only use condoms. Not to discourage BC if you are interested, but if you don't want to take it, don't. BC can make acne worse OR better. Birth control has potential benefits aside from pregnancy prevention, but it also carries a number of risks, some pretty serious. I tried about six different kinds of BC and my experiences ranged from neutral to truly nightmarish. Meanwhile, I have a friend who takes it and would literally not be able to function without it due to the severity of her periods and their irregularity. She loves it!

If you want to take the pill, talk to your doctor and find a type that is right for you (there are injections and insert-ables for forgetful ladies) There are SO many kinds of BC out there I am sure you could find something. But take it because YOU want to, not because your mother wants you to.

By KayEllePremium member
On Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:48 AM
Uhhh, if you don't want to be on birth control, then don't be on birth control. I don't think your mom should have the right to force medications into you that aren't medically necessary. Stand your ground.
By VulcanIdiotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:21 PM
Personally if you were planning to get on bc eventually why not now? You have to wait a while for it to kick in anyways. You also dont have to take pills. There is nuva ring, the shot, implanon, lots of stuff. But if you really dont want to get on bc but you want to get her off your back maybe buy some condoms or get fitted for a cervical cap so she knows that if you do have sex your safe.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:54 PM
^ 7 days is all it really takes for BC to become effective. That's not "awhile."

If you don't want to be on BC, don't be on BC. I assume your mother isn't going to go as far as to force feed you pills. And besides, you have to get a prescription from a doctor. So if it gets to the point where your mother makes you an appointment, tell the doctor plain and simple that you DON'T want it. If they're a decent doctor, they won't write you the prescription.
On Thu Jun 24, 2010 01:30 PM
Thanks guy. I'm just sticking to my guns.

I think (not saying it's true, but just a possibility) I know why she's been nagging me so much lately. Her and her boyfriend are sexually active, and she skipped her last period (she never ever ever skips periods). I know she's not on the pill for a fact, though she may have the ring or something (which I don't know when she ever went to the doctor if she ever did). I know they use condoms, because disturbingly they leave the wrapper in our shared bathroom.
But she's been really moody lately. One second I'm getting griped at all night over stupid stuff to her hysterically laughing over the same thigns. Though I'm sure if she's pregnant, she's not far enough along to have moody symptoms. But who knows what her issue is?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 07:36 AM
^Her issue is that she's got a teenage daughter and wants to get you through school without a baby. Pfft. Moms.

I hope all of you that are carrying on about "artificial hormones" aren't eating food either. Milk and meat in particular, are FULL of them.
By KayEllePremium member
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:43 AM
^ There's a very significant difference between the birth-control pill and the trace hormones found in dairy products and meat.

The issue here isn't the medication itself, anyway, it's the idea that her mom is trying to force her to take this medically unnecessary thing just to provide herself with some peace of mind.

Piano_on_Pointe's body is her own, and she has the right to choose what she wants to put in it, and what she doesn't.
By madseasonPremium member
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 04:29 PM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2010-06-25 16:30:44
^^You are comparing the hormones in birth control and the hormones found in food? Really? Wow..... Good example. Just yesterday I ate some yogurt and stopped menstruating! *sarcasm* You can buy meat and milk that are mostly if not entirely free of artificial hormones.

And um- You can make sure your teenage daughter gets through her teens childless without forcefully medicating her.
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:38 PM
I realize she's trying to keep me from having a kid while still in school, but considering I don't date, I don't hang around guys, I don't really have any guy friends, definitely not any close enough to even hug, I really don't think she should be getting her panties in a knot.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 05:49 PM
If it's any consolation no doctor is going to prescribe something you don't want to take in the first place no matter what your mom has to say.
By VulcanIdiotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 01:51 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing as Theresa, plus bc isnt unnatural hormones. If your pregnant, your getting the same hormones, and pregnancy is natural. You already stated your sticking to your guns which is your choice, but id be really greatful to have a mother that wanted to take me to get birth control. I guess I just dont see any cons of getting on bc.
re: Mom wants me on the pill. (karma: 1)
By emmaleex99
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 02:26 AM
I'm just popping in to say - 'synthetic' doesn't mean 'unnatural', and 'unnatural' doesn't mean 'evil and damaging'. The hormones in birth control, as far as I know, are chemically identical to the ones your body makes. If you pulled some hormones from some woman's bloodstream, and some from the pill, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Period. A hormone is just a chemical - a specific series of atoms connected in a specific way to make a specific shape. The only difference is that pill hormones aren't derived from human cells, because it's illegal to package and sell human body parts or byproducts. But the end product is the SAME THING, whether it's manufactured by the enzymes in your body or chemical processes in a lab.
re: Mom wants me on the pill. (karma: 2)
By KayEllePremium member
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:31 AM
^ I think people are saying that they don't like the idea of putting a bunch of hormones in their body that their body didn't make. It doesn't matter where they came from - hormone balance can be a tricky thing and just throwing some extras in can throw things off significantly. I mean, if you're on birth control for a REASON (like not having babies, or regulating periods or whatever else), then great. But if your mom is just needlessly paranoid, there's no real reason to mess with your system.
By emmaleex99
On Thu Jul 01, 2010 06:45 PM
^ That's an important perspective, and I wasn't really thinking of that when I replied. Thanks for posting it. It seemed to me that a few comments insinuated that it was harmful or bad simply because it was synthetic... it's just a little peeve of mine when people are mistrustful of synthetic things for not-very-informed reasons.

But I do agree that adding extra hormones when you don't really have a reason can throw you out of whack.. that's never a good idea, so I would have to give the same advice to Piano_on_Pointe.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 PM
I say stick to your guns. I agree that the hormones are not going to kill you, but if you have no real reason to go on the pill, I understand you not wanting to have extra hormones in your body because those can be powerful things.

I'm on the pill because of PCOS, but I do hope to one day be able to get off the pill and be able to kind of balance my PCOS on my own. I definately understand how you feel about it.

ReplySendWatch