Popular Teachers

Acro Duet (Ages 9 and 12) by KateC13
I have a duet to choreograph for two sisters. One is 9 and one is 12. They want an upbeat acro...

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Price for Zumba instructors? en>fr fr>en
By adancer5551 Comments: 260, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 03:17 PM

Hello,
I have a Zumba instructor at my studio who currently gets paid $50 for an hr class. He wants an increase in pay every time more students sign up. I said I would do $60 if we get 7 students but he wants to keep going up. In my opinion thats a ton of money for an hour. If it helps he is 25 and only started teaching Zumba a few months ago. Can you guys share your opinions on this. My first reaction was hes crazy I was never given an increase in pay when more students joined my classes before I opened my own studio. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

17 Replies to Price for Zumba instructors?

re: Price for Zumba instructors? en>fr fr>en
By cmdc Comments: 3084, member since Sat Jun 02, 2007
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 03:22 PM
I feel like fitness instructors (zumba) are paid a little different that dance teachers. Most of us don't get an increase in our pay regardless of how good we are an how many students we bring in. I know of gyms who do pay off of how many people you bring in though. I see both sides.

I feel like there should be a cap at some point. However, if this person is truly golden and is bringing a ton of people into your studio and they are staying...pay it! I know I would have loved that!
By Tapndance Comments: 1636, member since Tue Jun 12, 2007
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 04:04 PM
Is he paying for the advertising or referring people? I dont see why new walk in's would give him a raise otherwise, unless he has GREAT retention then I would consider a raise now and then but not per head.
By madance Comments: 990, member since Tue Feb 27, 2007
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 04:16 PM
My Zumba teacher gets 1/2 of tuition for the classes. They pay $10 for a class and she gets $5. so if only one person comes she makes $5 that hour another week 20 come and she makes $50

At other Gyms she gets paid $10 per person in the room. but same concept

I think $50 an hour no matter how many show up is a lot for a Zumba instructor

PS: we are in the midwest
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 04:24 PM
He's 25, gets $50 an hour, and he wants more? And $60 is not enough?
*sigh*
He's from the microwave generation, thinking everything is simple and easy. Just say no. Tell him if he wants to make more money, he better start his own business.
There is no way he could make $60 an hour if he had to pay a room for a year, invest in the flooring and mirrors, advertise, ....
You did, so now it's your turn to get some profit. That's why you hired him, to get new students who will pay YOUR bills.

There is one other way: let him pay rent for your room. But he has to advertise himself, collect the money from the students, you do nothing for him anymore.
O, your rent? $60 per hour, adding $10 per extra student above 6. More students = more cleaning for you and the flooring will wear off sooner.
You're not only charging him for the use of the room, but also the fact that it's in your studio and he benefits from the positive image you build up over the years. And it's easy for him to attrack the attention of YOUR students.

It's time for him to grow up!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6115, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 06:36 PM
I just went through this...the "children-teachers" who are legends in their own minds. Arghhhh .......

I figured out the cost per hour to keep the doors open at my studio, and it comes to about $80 - 85/hour. Let's face it....the hours people make themselves available to take class is limited.

Our rent, insurance, music licenses, utilities, and advertising costs aren't based on how many students we have, or how well the business is doing.

I bet if you advertised for a Zumba teacher and offered $25.00 and hour, he'd be replaceable.

Hang in there!
Keep On Dancing!
By CherryBeePremium member Comments: 4702, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Fri Jun 25, 2010 09:22 PM
Edited by CherryBee (183235) on 2010-06-25 21:26:12
Zumba instructors are a dime a dozen around here and I've begun seeing more and more infomercials on TV about Zumba. That means there'll be more people becoming instructors.

Hey, let that dog pay for his own space and see if he clears $50/hr. Won't happen. I would be cutting his pay, not increasing it. I paid an ABT-trained professional ballerina $50/hr...I certainly wouldn't pay a Zumba teacher a comparable salary.

Pffft.

Why don't you get Z training yourself, keep the money, and kick him out the door?

Just remembered. Around here, it's $10/class and it's split between the SO and the teacher. There's his incentive to get more students. I'd be working my way out of your existing agreement PRONTO.
By StudioSally Comments: 661, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 04:04 AM
Haha. I love the idea of making him rent your space and charging him more per student.

My zumba teacher is the same age and has just started teaching herself. I only pay her 15/hour. Once we get to 15 students I will increase it for every student. (we just started the program a couple of weeks ago so we are just under 15 students ). I own a studio in a small town so this is plenty. I don't know where you live but I think that $60/hour is plenty enough.

I would start looking for a new teacher...pronto!!
By CorDancePremium member Comments: 479, member since Wed Mar 04, 2009
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 06:39 AM
Thats absurd! I would definetely look for a new teacher. You can easily find one who is just as good for 20-35 an hour!

I have a Zumba teacher, he is awesome and I pay him within that range.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16200, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 PM
The gyms in my area are currently paying $20 - $30 an hour. I think $50 is being quite generous.
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4263, member since Wed Jun 25, 2003
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 01:10 PM
Are you making money on this class? You said "when we get 7 students", meaning you have less than that now. How much are the students paying per class?

Yes, that's a crazy amount. Tell him no. And if YOU are not making any money off this class, then you need to dock his pay or find another instructor.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 02:46 PM
Go to zumba.com.
Click 'search instructor'.
Type in your location.
TA DA!
A list of qualified zumba-instructors in your area, plus their phone numbers, email addresses, sometimes even their scedule so you can see when they are available to teach at your place.
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Sat Jun 26, 2010 04:20 PM
^^^ Thanks for the link, Lidwina. For fun, I searched and found 15 Zumba instructors within 5 miles of my dance school. There were 90 instructors within 10 miles - some a 5 minute drive away, charging $4/class. Another reason I don't want to offer Zumba. I do my own version instead (of course, I can't use the catchy name), and have added elements of dance beyond Latin.
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone great advice. Now the only problem is do I go back on what I said or leave it at $60 for 7 students but say I will not go higher then that?
For the exact math the women pay $120 for 8 weeks. So if I get 7 students and pay him $60 I will make $360 but he makes $480.
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5694, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:40 AM
I'm so glad I clicked into this post - very informative.

There is ONE Zumba instructor within an hour radius of here. She currently teaches one hour a week at another studio in town. I emailed her yesterday, just waiting for a reply. I'm hoping to steal her and offer her more time so it's a win-win.

I was curious as to how everyone handled payment. I was thinking 50/50 split.
By CherryBeePremium member Comments: 4702, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 02:07 PM
I would never give an equal or greater portion to an instructor. We carry the load and responsibility for everything and that eats up our share very quickly.

And, yes, 5551, I would work on changing the current agreement. If you have a contract, you're stuck - when does it expire (always have an expiration date!)?

I would tell him that I've had to reevaluate the Zumba classes and they are must less attended than I had anticipated, that I can make considerably more money by filling the space with my own classes. Therefore, we need to come up with a better, new agreement.

Suggest that he get $4.75/person of the $10 you collect, with no guaranteed minimums. You can't afford to pay him anything when people don't come to classes. I realize that you're getting paid in advance by the students but that money goes to rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, advertising, internet, music licensing, on and on.

I would have already checked the Zumba site and lined up people to take his place. And then do it.

With very detailed contract to boot.
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 09:01 AM
I agree that 50/50 is too much! You are bearing the brunt of insurance/rent and so many more expenses. The gyms/studios here pay $25-$40 per hour for Zumba instructors. I say offer a flat rate and treat it like any other class/teacher.

Rant warning:
They have a 1 day certification program-why should they make more than a dance teacher who works for years toward a certification or degree.
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 09:15 AM
thanks again I love this site. I have no contract with him so I am going to tell him I did some research and we need to do it my way or I will easily replace him.

ReplySendWatch