Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

UK drivers- Fiat Punto, Toyota Auris and Nissan Note etc
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 06:48 AM

I'll be hiring a car to drive on one- and maybe two- day trips in central Scotland with four people. I know cars, but some of the options I'm getting on car hire sites aren't brought into Oz, so I'm looking for some help.

I drive a Hyundai Lavita here and we love that it has an elevated driving and seating arrangement, so everyone can see out.

The other thing I'm a bit worried about is the size of the engines. My car is a 1.8 and, really the smallest engine available here is a 1.5, and that's a sports Astra, but most of the ones I'm seeing are 1.2, or 1.4. We won't really be doing city driving, mostly throughout Perthsire and to Fife, Inverness, or the like, and there'll be two adults and two 11-13 year old kids.

Because we're coming to sight see, I can't see (sorry) the point in getting a true sedan that the kids can't actually see out of. We've had Hyundai i30s, Mitsubishi Outlanders and Toyota Corolla Ascents here on trips, but my 10 year old really can't see much from the back seat in those.

Oh, last time in the UK, we had a Vauxhall Zafira, which we nick-named The Slug! Yeah, put your foot down and wait five minutes!

Any info or suggestions re cars and/or hire firms gratefully received.

C.

10 Replies to UK drivers- Fiat Punto, Toyota Auris and Nissan Note etc

re: UK drivers- Fiat Punto, Toyota Auris and Nissan Note etc
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 06:56 AM
I drive a 1.2 Clio campus and if it is full of people or stuff it does take time to get up to speed compared to other larger engines. My car would get 2 adults and 2 kids in fine but it depends on how much luggage you would take with you.

Fiat punto - My mum drives one and I personally do not like it. It is similar size to my renault clio campus.

Nissan note - I am sure has a much smaller boot and you would struggle for luggage space compared to the others.

Toyota - I am not sure on.

Nic
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 07:24 AM
Thanks Nic! That's great info. We would only have luggage to and from the airport and our accommodation, so if we have to be a bit squishy for those trips, that's OK. We're bringing one larger bag and two carry-on sized, plus hand luggage.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 07:54 AM
All of those are a bit small really - have you tried the citroen c4 picasso or something of that range? I would search for MPV's and compare them see which ones you like.
I have a ford focus at the moment, its great for round town and out into the country, nice big windscreen but the back isn't great for sightseeing. The boot is a good size though
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 08:13 AM
Citron c3, ford focus, renault megane or vauxhall astra would give you more luggage space and would not to be high up on the car hire price.

My dad hired a car in northern ireland and the thing that hit us most was insurance so we did not have to pay £500 excess if we had to claim, so worth checking that out when pricing up.

Though price wise if you did go for fiat punto or clio campus you would should be ok with that luggage. I managed to fit 4 girls plus 4 decent sized suitacses in the boot of my clio.
By Jodee_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:32 AM
Hey,

I drive punto, 1.2cc enginge!

I love it gets me everywhere but not great for a family as only small.

None of the above are large cars.

Try getting a Kia Karenz they're great.

For family cars I'd also recomend- Citeron picaso or Ford Galaxy.

I'd ask the people on the sights :)

x
By mazie
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 AM
Knowing the roads around central Scotland pretty well, I'm going to recommend that you get something with a good bit of power. A lot of the roads are very long, very windy and very narrow. You WILL need to be able to over take quickly because, depending on what road you're on, over-taking opportunities will be pretty infrequent and it's no fun being stuck behind a tractor or slow driver for 10miles! Also some of the hills are pretty steep so you'll need a good bit of power to get you up, especially with 4 people and your luggage in there.

So with that in mind definitely don't pick 1.2 or 1.4. Most larger cars like a Saab or Mazda would probably work ok: a 4x4 would be ideal but I'm not sure whether you'd want to drive one.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:09 AM
It depends on price and budget - she has said she is only doing one or two day trips so not worth paying masses of money for a car. If two week holiday I would say get something as big as you can afford.

I have done plenty of country driving in my 1.2 clio. I have driven round Wales plenty of times which includes a pretty steep hill at 17% with people and luggage in the car (300 trophies and plenty of books) and it does fine. Yes its not as fast as others but it depends on how far you are driving.

Nic
By Kaytexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 AM
i know the citroen picasso is high up inside..
my friends mum has one and its so spacious (SP) inside
and so much visability !!

im not sure how its like to drive though i have never driven one i stick my hyundai lol !!
By rosalinde
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 AM
I know you're only renting a car for a few days, but with a family and luggage with the winding roads of Scotland, I would seriously consider a Citroen Picasso or similar. An SUV will give you the power and luggage room you need.

As for the kids being able to look out the window: if they're that small, maybe you should look into how old the kids have to be to ride without children's seats. I'm not from the UK, but in Holland kids have to be in special seats up to about the age of 10 or a certain weight (I don't have kids either, so I'm not quite sure). If your kids fall into that category you'll have to rent the seats as well, and those will give your kids the height to look out the window anyway.
By olderdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 04:18 AM
Hi, the peice of advice I could stay away from all the cars you mentioned because they are too small. you do need an engine that is a minimum 1.6 as well because you may need the power up the mountains in scotland!. I would also shop around different hire companies. your best bet is to collect from somewhere near where you know or from the airport. some even do deliver to where you need but you have to check from company to company.

with your sized family I would recommend a diesel car as one they are usually more powerful and a little better on the fuel economy in the uk as petrol/diesel is about the same price here.

main companies in uk are enterprise, hertz, avis, etc but google it!
hope this helps.

ReplySendWatch