Forum: Ballet / Character Ballet

Character Ballet
Is Character hard?
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:52 AM

So I'm 13 (14 in August hehe) and I've never done character before, and at my summer intensive this year we do character dance. I'm really nervous because I really really really want to get accepted into the full time program, and I don't think they wouldn't accept me because I've never done character or I'm not particularly good at it, but I'm still scared of making a total fool out of myself. So is character easy or hard? And will I have any trouble learning it? And do you think I'll be the only one there who's never done character?
Much Thanks, Elle

3 Replies to Is Character hard?

re: Is Character hard?
By RosePremium member Comments: 9216, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:31 AM
Like in every dance style, caractere has easy and difficult parts. If you did enough ballet in the past, you will recognise a lot of steps (just done in heels, and with a different dynamic). And some steps are completely new.

To be accepted in the full time program it's not the most important what you already know. It's how fast you pick up new things.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:30 PM
Character is very repetitive and used a lot of the same steps. It is meant to go along with ballet in several syllabi so I think you'll be able to handle it just fine.

Grade 7 RAD Character:

www.youtube.com . . .
By tamsytoots Comments: 20, member since Mon Jun 28, 2010
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 03:15 AM
Before being promoted recently to a principal, I danced character roles mainly with the company that I'm with. Of course, when I started ballet my initial desire and ambition was to make it as a soloist but as things turned out that wasn't to be. However, I spent many happy years dancing those character roles and never found it difficult to learn them. If I could give you any advice it would just be to throw yourself into learning your steps, listen to your teacher, practice practice practice until it's perfect and don't care about what you think others may think of your mistakes. You WILL make mistakes along the way but that's all part of the learning process. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch