Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
tips for sewing on braid to highland jacket
By highlandmum67 Comments: 379, member since Fri Apr 25, 2008
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 07:54 AM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2011-09-19 16:36:46 There are some really good suggestions in here so I'm stickying this so that it helps other people!

just wondering if anyone has tips for sewing the braid onto the jacket.
do you baste first, or just pin?
tips on how to keep the velvet flat and not pull or gape around the neck
do you sew the outside or inside of braid first?
thanks for all your ideas and help.
i have used the new jacket pattern from Marg's out of Calgary and it is wonderful. much easier to sew and fits better. i now have to sew on the braid and dont want to mess it up!

16 Replies to tips for sewing on braid to highland jacket

re: tips for sewing on braid to highland jacket
By offkilter Comments: 175, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 08:04 AM
Sew the outside of the braid first. There is no advantage in basting or pinning, it's just an exercise in frustration. Take it slowly and bend, ease & manipulate the braid as you go. It sometimes helps to loosen the pressure on your machine's pressure foot.
I have heard that wetting the braid helps but the time I tried it seemed to make no difference at all except I had dampness to contend with...
By highland_mom Comments: 105, member since Tue Jan 10, 2006
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 08:28 AM
Ironing the braid a bit at a time can help...it seems more flexible when it is warm.
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 08:40 AM
I too have heard of damp. Try not to stretch it as you go because it pulls back later. I agree with slow and easy and the basting does not seem to help too much. I use the looser stitch too. Outside edge first. Good luck!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Jun 28, 2010 08:35 PM
I actually pin it on, but perpendicular to the direction of stitching, so the machine runs over them. I have used the zipper foot sometimes, and that has worked well for me- I find I can see what's happening better. Another thing I do is to sew each section of braid separately. That is, from the centre lower back point to the side point, then from the side point to the front basque point, front basque to bottom of the front edge, and so on. I do end up with a lot of ends to pull through and tie off, but this way just lets me concentrate on getting each section right, rather than thinking about the whole lot.

^highlandmum97- it's good to hear that the new pattern worked well for you. Would you mind awfully posting pics of the jacket when it's done? And maybe showing where you found the improvements/points of difference?

Ta,

C.
By kathr Comments: 201, member since Tue May 18, 2010
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:28 PM
Like tassiemum, I attach it section by section, outside edge first, but instead, I pin parallel to the braid along the inside edge. The inside edge is the one with all the convex curves so it is important not to stretch this edge otherwise you end up with puckered velvet. I would recommend using the normal sewing foot on your machine too as you need even pressure onto the braid. Some zipper-feet are one sided, not centrally positioned over the feed-dog, and this can affect the thread tension. I wouldn't recommend wetting the braid - velvet and wet don't mix well!
I reckon everyone has their own preferred method so take your time and the best of luck!
By margsdancewear Comments: 104, member since Thu Aug 06, 2009
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 PM
I have ironed the braid to soften it and that helps. Keep in mind then that it is easier to stretch as well. Walking foot helps. Be careful with the 2 sided tape as it gums up your needle.
By highlandmum67 Comments: 379, member since Fri Apr 25, 2008
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 07:10 AM
thanks for all the tips and assistance! will be giving this a go tomorrow and will post pics and comments when done.
By nowusfive Comments: 27, member since Sat Jun 02, 2012
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 08:18 PM
Does anyone have any input as to which pattern is the best to use to make an aboyne vest? I also need to know how much material I need to do the skirt for an aboyne outfit.
Thanks!
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 03:04 PM
I aggree, do not wet the braid and start with the outside edge. Sticky things gum up the needle. You just have to go slow, and also and I use silver thread on top and the coresponding color thread to match the lining that way it doesn't look messy on the inside.
re: tips for sewing on braid to highland jacket (karma: 1)
By WolfieSara Comments: 37, member since Wed Sep 27, 2006
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 01:01 AM
I just made two new vests this weekend. I had made two others previously without any problem. I just sewed the outside edge, stetched the other edge and folded the corners as I went along. Easy! This time I struggled for 4 hours and had terrible results and wasn't half way around!!! I finally walked away for a while. When I came back and picked it up again I noticed one side of the braiding was white rather than silver like the rest. After some poking at it I realized the white side does NOT stretch but the other side does. I ripped the braiding off and sewed it on with the white side on the outide of the vest and it went on beautifully - and in less than an hour with no wetting or ironing. So, check for that before you start! Oh, the others used the same braiding. I had just gotten lucky before.
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 AM
Is the pattern from Marg's any different from the one's that are available from most of the other vendors? I haven't made one yet but I plan to soon. I have heard that it is important to make sure the neck is not to wide so that you don't see the sports bra straps.
By offkilter Comments: 175, member since Tue Mar 25, 2008
On Tue Apr 30, 2013 06:06 PM
Thank you WolfieSara. I have made hundreds of vests & jackets & never noticed the difference in the braid edges. I have been using your tip to have the white edge to the inside & it goes on much more smoothly. It proves you're never too experienced to learn a new technique.
fabric required for an aboyne skirt and plaid
By highlandrsc Comments: 2, member since Fri Jul 04, 2014
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:48 PM
Hi you'll need 3 meters - 1 meter for the plaid and 2 meters cut to give you 4 meters in length for the skirt
By Deesquaredmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Fri Apr 20, 2012
On Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:55 AM
Just to confirm, when you say to sew the outside edge of the braid first, do you mean the edge that is closest to the edge of the vest? Silly question, I know, but I want to be sure I'm doing it right!
By highlandgran Comments: 16, member since Sun Mar 09, 2014
On Mon Jan 19, 2015 05:48 PM
Hi,

Since I sew by hand, I would sew the outside first and pinch the braid between your fingers as you sew. Then sew the inside.
This way you have more control over the braid.

Good luck!
By WolfieSara Comments: 37, member since Wed Sep 27, 2006
On Fri Jul 24, 2015 01:23 PM
I put the non-stretchy side of the braid toward the edge of the vest, then sew that side first. That puts the non-strechy side of the braiding on the inside of the curve - towards the center of the circle. I find sewing the non-strechy side first is also easier since it doesn't stretch and move. When you sew the other side down, you stretch it around the curve and fold it at the sharp corners.

ReplySendWatch