Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Dudes. I'm awesome. (karma: 1)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 04:03 AM

6 months ago, before I started my new job...I used to only be able to drive my little 2 door hatch, automatic car.

I had to learn Manual, in order to drive our promotional vehicles. So, I did so.

Then i had to learn to drive a massive transit van (with very limited viewing)

Then, I had to learn to drive a massive 4WD.

Then, in that 4WD I had to learn to tow a massive caravan.

Then, I had to tow that caravan on a major freeway at night.

Then, we got new work cars. Massive Nizzan Navaras...giant work utes (trucks).

And I totally drive them like a pro!

So yeah, over the past 6 months, I think my driving skills have improved so much!

Do you have a good driving acheivement?

9 Replies to Dudes. I'm awesome.

re: Dudes. I'm awesome.
By dancegal2member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 04:35 AM
Can I just say, while I don't have anything much to contribute to this post, I really really love this thread.

Congratulations :) and I love how you wrote this so concisely!
By dance4lanimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 07:29 AM
My biggest driving achievement was when my boyfriend finally admitted that I'm an awesome parker :)
Also, on my first day of work as a nanny, the family gave me their massive 4 wheel drive (never driven one before) with 3 children in the back seat and a destination. They all got there unscratched :)

But yay pokey, I cant imagine towing a car in the middle of the night. I'm impressed girl :)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:24 AM
I once drove a 15-passenger van full of teenagers about 100 miles, some of it through snow and ice. I have no idea how we all made it out alive.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 AM
Back when I was 16 and had had my license for less than a year, I had to drive myself, my 12 year old sister, and a few of our pets in my truck during a hurricane evacuation. And I had never driven on the freeway before! I was terrified. I was following my dad and my mom was behind me, but still, I was scared lol.

I haven't had many driving accomplishments other than that. I drive a C230 Mercedes now (aka a car) and the other day my dad needed me to drive his huge F350 (which looks similar to this, different rims though www.classyauto.com . . .) and I did so successfully, so that was cool. Another time he needed me to move his classic 1955 Chevy pick-up and I was really scared, but I made it across the yard just fine haha
By pondflyPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 PM
That's great. You have gone out of the way to learn manual (which I think everyone should learn), started small and worked your way up. All that time you have learned the handling characteristics of the vehicles.
Keep on learning as it is a never ending process and always respect the handling of the vehicle.

I leaned with a manual transmission and my dad made me learn in a hilly area to get the feel. I now drive vehicles well over 50,000# and have a high center of gravity on a regular basis.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 PM
In October when my boyfriend and I moved, I had to rent and drive a transit van from London, to Manchester and back again, which included driving IN Central London. Because my silly boyfriend has points on his licence and because he's also under 25 he wasn't allowed to rent a vehicle, but because I'm a sensible driver with no points, I had to do it.

I COMPLETELY freaked out to start with (reversing out of the carpark, I burst into tears because I couldn't see and the boy kept shouting at me), I was super nervous, but it actually turned out fine. I'd MUCH rather drive than be driven anyway, so it probably worked out for the best :)
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:12 PM
I'm one of the best damn ambulance drivers I know! I can park those babies anywhere.
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 PM
I taught two teenagers to drive.

kk~
By rosalinde
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 02:41 AM
Last January I drove a tiny feather-weight car with no winter tires (yeah, I know ...) through a blizzard with two passengers, and made it home safe. The muscles in my shoulders and neck were sore for a week because I'd been gripping the steering so tightly, and it was the first time I'd come close to a full-blown panic attack, but I managed to keep myself in check and make it home.
I was stressed out, but so proud I'd made it.

Love this thread!!!

ReplySendWatch