Popular Teachers

Considering going back to teaching.... by pinktights27
I resigned my position at the high school where I was coaching dance and colorguard last school year

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
What to do with tons of old pointe shoes? en>fr fr>en
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1965, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Thu Jul 01, 2010 05:37 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2010-07-01 17:42:18

So, this fall I am heading off to college, and I'm currently trying to clean out my room. I have a big box full of pointe shoes - I think it's nearly every pair I've ever had, and it is a *lot* of pointe shoes. They're all use, obviously, so they're not in great condition. Also, I reuse ribbons and elastics, so a lot of them don't have ribbons/elastics on them anymore. Basically, I was wondering if there's anything I could do with them besides throwing them all away (which I guess I'll do if I can't think of anything else). I can't imagine that anyone would want them, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone's had a similar situation/has any ideas. Thanks!

17 Replies to What to do with tons of old pointe shoes?

re: What to do with tons of old pointe shoes? en>fr fr>en
By Miyoko47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 89, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Thu Jul 01, 2010 06:27 PM

what you could do (if they are not completely trashed with the satin frating off everywhere) is dye them different colours and buy some cheep matching ribbon and create a sort of wall hanging out of them for yourself or a ballet obsessed friend
By roomx7609 Comments: 230, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Thu Jul 01, 2010 06:59 PM
Edited by roomx7609 (210407) on 2010-07-01 19:06:25
Edited by roomx7609 (210407) on 2010-07-01 19:06:41
I would SO bring them to college with me! It's a happy chapter in your life, right? Be reminded of it every day!

Either hang a huge cluster of pairs (or just one pair) in different painted colors (use a foam paint sponge to apply dye) from the ceiling or a coat hook. This is a pretty obvious solution, but still. I would personally do all similar colors--gold, silver, champagne, chartreuse, light blue, lavender--and very sheerly applied, so you can still see how the pink satin ties all the shoes in together. Remember to trim the fraying satin!

I had a friend at an intensive who paper maiche'd her old pairs as art and sold them for like $35 bucks a pair!!! If you have free time, definitely try that, and market to your dance friends, the studio, etc. Her dance studio purchased a few pairs to decorate the studio with, and that is an amazing idea. Imagine all that extra income! ;)
She had really unique combinations, with fun patterns, sequins, velvet, etc. It may sound tacky, but she did a really nice job on them.

Last obvious option is to decorate the pairs and keep them for yourself. Or glue them (dyed in pairs) to a board with the sole down in rainbow order. You then can place it on a top shelf of something that is too high to reach for any other purpose.

Have fun! Get creative!
By get_over_itmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 411, member since Mon Jul 16, 2007
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:34 AM
A dance store near me made a chandelier out of pointe shoes. It might not be practical for college but there are definitely options out there.

If you don't mind getting rid of them, post them on ddn, ebay, or craig's list. There are always people looking for lots of pointe shoes.
By SOADftwmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2654, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 PM
You can give them to me :) Like ^ said, there's always people looking for pointe shoes no matter what condition they're in.
By LincolnCenter199 Comments: 41, member since Wed Apr 22, 2009
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 03:29 PM
I made a reath out of them, by tucking the box into another shoe and so on in a circle(make sure to use a glue gun so it stays!) and then you can tie bows or just let the ribbons hang. it looks really nice hung up on the wall. I can post a picture if you want.
By forestfaeriemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 151, member since Tue May 26, 2009
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 03:34 PM
LincolnCenter199: could you post a picture?? I'm very curious to see what that looks like!
By noachkamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2116, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Sat Jul 03, 2010 09:11 AM
Yes please post a picture!!

All of these ideas sound amazing, I think I'll try them when I get a chance!

I remember a few years ago this one person on DDN (can't remember who) sold a bunch of pointe shoes on ebay and made lots of money. Turns out the guy that bought them had some type of pointe shoe fetish, or so I remember...meh. Either way, she made lots of money off of selling a few smelly old pointe shoes. Not necessarily recommending anyone do this, but it's a funny story nevertheless.
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 05:38 AM
^ Someone selling their shoes to someone who turned out to be a pointe shoe fetishist has happened more than once, and it isn't always harmless. A teenager in our studio sold hers on eBay and the guy also turned out to be a stalker. He attempted to contact her a dozen times before she ended up calling the authorities.

If you opt to sell them on eBay, put right in the ad "no returns accepted," and ship them in a box without your name or return address.

Someplace along the line I made a lamp out of a pair. I cleaned up the satin with a baking soda paste, put pointe shoe makeup on the worst of the scuffs, epoxied them to a round wooden base in a pleasing position, and then ran the electric works up the middle of them. I finished everything with a clear coat of polyurethane and added a ruffled lampshade. It was sweet, frilly, and feminine. When we got married, my outdoorsy husband rebelled about it, so I gave the lamp to my ten year old niece who was taking ballet at the time. She still has it.

Most people keep their first pair, their first recital pair, pairs from significant performances, and dispose of the rest of them. I don't have the problem of accumulating mass quantities of shoes, because I have a SNEAKY, THIEVING, POINTE-SHOE EATING DOG, whose latest offense was to chew up a brand new pair of Gaynors with suede platforms a week before a performance! No hope of getting a sueded pair in time, either.

Side note: If you have a pet who likes to steal shoes, make sure any current pairs are well outside its reach, and when you retire a pair, take out any seating tacks. That will save you an emergency trip to a veterinarian!
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 AM
My mum breeds dogs and the ones I didn't use as softs in class where given to the dogs as toys, minus the nails of course.
By LincolnCenter199 Comments: 41, member since Wed Apr 22, 2009
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 06:57 PM
Here is the picture of my pointe shoe reath.
By pointegirl543 Comments: 66, member since Tue Sep 22, 2009
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 03:50 PM
Pointe shoe wreath??? that sounds really cool! Please post a picture!
By volant Comments: 57, member since Mon Dec 15, 2008
On Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 PM
I'll buy a few pairs off of you! I need some worn ones for decoration! There are always people lookin'!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1894, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 07:29 PM
LincolnCenter199 wrote:

LincolnCenter199 -

Oh my gosh!!!! This wreath is gorgeous!!! I absolutely love it!!

You people are so clever, creative and artistic! Would have never thought of that in a million years!!!

I had a friend at an intensive who paper maiche'd her old pairs as art and sold them for like $35 bucks a pair!!! If you have free time, definitely try that, and market to your dance friends, the studio, etc. Her dance studio purchased a few pairs to decorate the studio with, and that is an amazing idea. Imagine all that extra income! ;)
She had really unique combinations, with fun patterns, sequins, velvet, etc. It may sound tacky, but she did a really nice job on them.

RoomX7609 -

Love this idea also and I don't think it sounds tacky at all!!

I want to try this, but I gave away my pair of Grishko's!!!

I will never do that again!!!!

I'm also going to make friends with dancers that have bendy strong feet and break the shank easily.

Could be a mutually agreeable alliance!

Thanks all for the wonderful ideas. Can't wait to get started!
By dancerchic98 Comments: 41, member since Tue Jul 06, 2010
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 08:11 PM
You could draw on them with markers or dye them.
By Ballet_Believer Comments: 1232, member since Sun Dec 29, 2002
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 PM
I sold a bunch of mine. There were a bunch of girl at my studio who needed old points to deshank and use as flats to strengthen their feet. They put them to good use.
By balletnut21member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 98, member since Sat Mar 27, 2010
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:44 AM
LincolnCenter199 wrote:

That is so pretty!
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1965, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Wed Jul 21, 2010 02:22 PM
Quick update -

Thank you much for the wonderful, creative ideas, everyone! I ultimately have decided that it's probably best for me right now to just give them away. So, I made a thread with pictures and everything on the Ballet - for sale forum: www.dance.net . . .

There's more information in my new thread, but I am giving them away for FREE anywhere in the US.

ReplySendWatch