Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz Photos - Members

Jazz Photos - Members
Tilt at the Park
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Fri Apr 30, 2010
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:39 PM

My friend (who also dances) and I were messing around at a park last night and she was like, "Do a tilt!" So I did.

I know it's not perfect, so do you guys have any advice on how I can improve it? I wasn't stretched at all, so it's not my best but it's really the only picture I have of me doing a tilt.

14 Replies to Tilt at the Park

re: Tilt at the Park
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 01:10 PM
I have no critiques because I have no training/experience to be critiquing but I just wanted to say I LOVE that you're rocking a huge smile in this picture.
By ItzChrissyyyx3 Comments: 65, member since Sat May 17, 2008
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 01:24 PM
That is beautiful. I have a question, how did you get your flexibility so good and were there certain exercises you did to be able to do that?
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Fri Apr 30, 2010
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 04:19 PM
Thanks to both of you, Brittany and ItzChrissyyyx3. ItzChrissyyyx3, I used to do gymnastics and tumbling when I was younger, so that helped with my flexibility. I also stretch A LOT both in classes at my studio and in dance team as well as a little bit every day. If you would like, I can PM my stretching routine to you, it has worked wonders for me!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 04:57 PM
The first thing that I always look at is if you are balancing correctly, and it doesn't look like you are: see how your weight is on your pinky-toe and the entire outside ridge of your foot? Try and balance it so that your weight is in the dime-sized area between your first and second toes. That's where your weight should be, and once you have it controlled there, you can start doing fun stuff like promenades or turns in that position.

Another part of this is that you're falling 'backwards' which I think is a bit why your bottom leg looks bent. Try and keep your center of gravity over the bridge of your foot--that will help with both balance and positioning.

I agree with the others, though, your general placement, flexibility, and attitude are wonderful. Great job!
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 05:08 PM
Thank you so much, AlwaysOnStage. Your advice really helped a lot, and I will definitely put it to work Tuesday in my Jazz Technique class!
By ItzChrissyyyx3 Comments: 65, member since Sat May 17, 2008
On Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:09 PM
I would greatly appreciate it if you could PM your stretches to me if that wouldn't be a problem. I am really trying to build up my flexibility by the time dance starts in September.
By dancing_tiger Comments: 223, member since Fri Jun 25, 2010
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 02:04 PM
I agree with all of the others you do have great flexibility, and a nice tilt but there are a couple things that i can see that you could improve. The first thing is to make sure you stay on the ball of your foot so your weight will stay forward instead of leaning back. Also something I noticed is that your hip is lifted so your top foot is turned in a little. You can improve this by doing your tilt infront of a mirror. If you can see your heel that meens your foot is turned out.
By SinatraAngel Comments: 86, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 05:52 PM
Ooh, very nice! I wish I could do a good tilt. Mine's so....blah. Haha. I really love your smile. You're just like :D YEAH I'm doing a tilt!! :D Haha.
By dancestar88551 Comments: 20, member since Fri Oct 02, 2009
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 06:58 PM
I personly think that this is really good : )
you look like you have really good turn out and i looooooove your feet! haha
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 07:04 PM
dancestar88551 wrote:

I personly think that this is really good : )
you look like you have really good turn out and i looooooove your feet! haha

Wow, thank you so much! I actually have to work really hard at keeping my turnout, and my teachers always yell at me about my feet, haha. But they have gotten a LOT better, and I'm doing a ton of ankle/arch strengthening. :)
By dancer_boi08 Comments: 114, member since Thu May 08, 2008
On Fri Aug 20, 2010 02:23 AM
kicklinequeen wrote:

Thanks to both of you, Brittany and ItzChrissyyyx3. ItzChrissyyyx3, I used to do gymnastics and tumbling when I was younger, so that helped with my flexibility. I also stretch A LOT both in classes at my studio and in dance team as well as a little bit every day. If you would like, I can PM my stretching routine to you, it has worked wonders for me!

can you also PM me your stretching routine if possible thanks so much
By Dancing_cutie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 250, member since Sun Feb 18, 2007
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 08:32 PM
Nice tilt!
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:14 PM
Thanks!
By liamsayywhaat Comments: 25, member since Wed Sep 15, 2010
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:11 PM
amazing! love the smile :P

ReplySendWatch