Forum: Music / Music & Songs

songs about Birds from the 50's - 40's ASAP!
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 01:18 AM

Hi there.

I am in a choreogrpahy competion and I need to find a song that was recorded & produced BEFORE 1960.

That is one rule of the comp. It cant come after 1960, and it can't be an old original song that was been re-recorded, either.

My concept is a caged canary, so any songs mentioned birds would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies to songs about Birds from the 50's - 40's ASAP!

re: songs about Birds from the 50's - 40's ASAP! (karma: 1)
By Sumayah
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 01:55 AM
I don't know if any of these have been rerecorded but it's something to listen to at least.

When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano - The Ink Spots 1940
The Woodpecker Song - Gracie Fields 1940
(They'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover - Vera Lynn 1942
Some Enchanted Evening - Perry Como (1949) (Not about birds, but somehow in my head it fits)
A Little Bird Told Me - Evelyn Knight (1949)
The Cry of the Wild Goose - Frankie Laine (1950)
Mockingbird Hill - Patti Page (1951)

Hope that helps some! :)
re: songs about Birds from the 50's - 40's ASAP!
By PureTapPremium member
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 02:02 AM
This one's called "My Canary Has Circles Under Its Eyes" circa 1930. A pretty scratchy recording, but at least it's authentic! There are some that have singing but not this particular version.

www.youtube.com . . .

Cheers
Di
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 02:08 AM
Come Fly With Me by Frank Sinatra (1958)

I know it's not technically about birds, but I feel like it fits.
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 02:15 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-07-05 02:21:16
Hey, check out this guy. He has several songs inspired by his nickname, Yardbird or Bird.

en.wikipedia.org . . .

kk~
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 03:18 AM
Thank you all so much. Karma for you all once I get some more time!

KK, that guy is a mean musician! His stuff is perfect, he has a whole album called Birdsong, haha. Thankyou!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 05:22 PM
When the Red, Red Robin (comes bob bob bobbin' along) Technically written in 1926, but revived by Perry Como in the 40's/50's.

When my Sugar walks down the street (all the little birdies go Tweet, Tweet, Tweet) Again a 20's song revived frequently in the 40's/50's.

(A lot of songs from the 20's/30's when recording techniques were primitive and non-electric were done again in the 40's 50's, pre-rock 'n roll. Half the song sung by the likes of Pat Boone, Johnny Mathis, et al were actually recycled. I grew up in that era, liked many of the songs, but felt deflated when the latest hits in my high school era (late 50's) turned out to be stuff played at my parents' high school dances.)

Rockin' Robin (I think that is legitimately early rock 'n roll from the mid-50's.)

There are a lot of bird references in "Tammy" made popular in 1957 by Debbie Reynolds, who sang it in the movie "Tammy and the Bachelor" and the Ames Brothers (or some other Brothers) who sang it during the opening credits of the same movie. [Remember opening credits??? They hardly do that anymore beyond the film title and the leads.]

I don't remember the song, but there was some song called "The Bluebird of Happiness."

Jon

ReplySendWatch