Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Just Got My Learners!!!!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 07:20 PM

Its SO wierd to be posting HERE! Anyways, heres my littel question-ish thingy

So, I got my learners literally ONE HOUR ago! Hurrah! So, basically, I just want some tips. What really ticks you off that other drivers might do when you're driving? Any tips and tricks? Is there anything wierd about driving on a highway that isn't like driving in the city? (in a bit my mom says if I'm a good enough driver she'll let me drive a bit on our way out of town). So, yeah... any advice? I'm REALLY nervous about getting behind the wheel!

7 Replies to Just Got My Learners!!!!

re: Just Got My Learners!!!!
By danceluver220
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 07:15 AM
Congrats! Driving is a lot of fun (sometimes!) but it can be a little scary at times...you just have to have patience and a lot of practice. If you're nervous, which everyone is at first, stay where there aren't a lot of cars or people. I'm not sure where you live, but I live in an area where there are a lot of housing developments and a ton of side streets where there aren't many cars around. Get used to the gas/breaks when going around turns and up and down hills, stopping for a stop sign, using your mirrors, your turn signals, staying on your side of the road at all times. Once you can do the simple things, move on to driving in a busier town so you can get used to other cars and people, while still practicing the same skills. Then move to city driving and highway. To me, the highway vs city is mainly speed and what you have to pay attention to. On the highway, you have to stay at a fairly steady, fast speed and be aware of the cars around you (if they're changing lanes, slowing down, etc), and which lanes you want to be in. A big thing people are afraid of on the highway is driving next to the big 18 wheeler trucks..but you can't be afraid, you have to be confident! There's nothing worse than being a passenger in a car when the driver says "I hate driving next to these! They make me so nervous!!" yikes!) In the city, it's more stop and go, using your turn signals, knowing which lanes to be in, and paying attention to other vehicles and ESPECIALLY pedestrians. You'll get a lot of good practice in with your mom, and actually driving is the only way you'll be able to figure things out..anything anyone says will pretty much fly out the window when you sit in the seat. Good luck and be confident, not nervous!
By emmaleex99
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 07:27 PM
I'm kind of concerned, you don't seem to have ever driven on the highway! Didn't they make you in driver's ed?

The highway is quite different from city driving. In the city, you can get by just looking straight ahead and staying in your lane, but on the highway, you should try to stay aware of what's going on in front of, behind, and next to you - but especially in front! If there's a traffic jam, you can be on it before you realize, so if you see people ahead of you braking, follow suit.

Also, if you drive in the right lane, pay attention to people merging! My number one driving peeve is when someone makes it really hard for me to get into the lane. Just try to make it line up - if the gap between you and the car in front of you is too small, try slowing down a bit so there's space. Or if you think they'll end up behind you, speed up a bit. Just do anything but stay exactly next to them the whole time ._. (The same goes for when you're the person merging - see what the people in the lane are doing, and try to fit yourself into a convenient gap. Don't be afraid to accelerate hard - the engine gets loud, but it's not a bad sign or anything.)

Try to avoid tailgating, too - you'll see others doing it, but it's not safe! Just think "if this guy in front of me had to slam on the brakes, what would happen?" If the answer is "a 3 car pileup", back off, lol. On the highway I try to keep 5-6 car lengths in between me and the next person. More if I'm speeding. Don't tell my mom I said that, though :P
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 07, 2010 01:55 AM
^Maybe she doesn't live in America.

What country do you live in?
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:34 PM
I learnt to drive in a industrial area in a street with little or no traffic. Then I moved onto suburban streets with a little more traffic and finally when I was ready mum let me to the rest.

To get your licence here you need to do 120 supervised hours. Kinda overkill but I did make me a better driver.

Biggest thing is don't try to run before you've learnt to walk. I don't know whether you are learning manual or not, but learning clutch control, breaking, accelerating and steering is more important than driving on freeways at this point.

I hate learners who drive too ridiculously slow on busy roads. If you aren't ready to deal with traffic, changing lanes and keeping up with the flow of traffic then you probably shouldnt be on that road yet. Don't tailgate. I HATE when people do it to me, and it makes me drive slower.

Be safe :)
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 PM
First things first. Never, ever be nervous. It will make driving much more difficult for you.

Some of the things I really hate when other people do:

1. Pull out in front of you and drive really slow.

2. Decide at the last minute to slam on your breaks.

3. Texting while driving.

4. No turn signal.

5. People who drive slow in the left lane.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:25 PM
Congratulations! Make sure you explain to whoever is riding with you (mom, dad, grandma, etc.) to not yell or get on to you. That's the worst part about a permit. Most parents yell, which makes driving no fun at all. They need to calmly correct.

Things I don't like:
1) Tailgating. I go the speed limit, maybe one or two over, and people still tailgate or will be fairly close. I hate it more than anything.

2) Not using a blinker.

3) Honking. Today, I was at the extremely weird 5-way intersection, and there was a tree in the way, and I needed to turn, well I couldn't see, and from what I could see, it was clear, so I went and there was an SUV coming, but they weren't that close, close, yes, but not so close that they needed to honk at me. By the time I'd gotten into my line and was already driving off was when they got to where I was and they laid on the horn. Yes, I pulled out in front of them, but I also pulled out in front of them with plenty of time to get out of the way. I had my wisdom teeth out Friday and the stress that lady put on me from scaring me by honking made two of my incisions that I finally, FINALLY got to stop bleeding, bleed again. Curse her. But I'll take the blame.

4) Tailgating yet again. I just hate it more than anything in the world. I hardly ever get behind anyone, but there's always someone behind me. I go the speed limit, but I'm always the head of a ton of cars. I hate it. It's very pressuring, but when you don't look in the rear view mirror, it's so relaxing because you don't know someone's tailgating you.;)

Good luck! Driving is more fun when you get your license.:)
By kaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:59 PM
emmaleex99 wrote:

I'm kind of concerned, you don't seem to have ever driven on the highway! Didn't they make you in driver's ed?

I think you're mixing up learners permit and license. You don't need any behind-the-wheel driving experience to get your learners. Also, in drivers ed they don't teach you how to drive, they teach you the rules of the road. Learning how to drive comes AFTER you get your learners :)

Congrats! How's it been going? I got my learners a week ago and I've just recently taken a driving lesson with an instructor. I've been practicing turns and such around my neighborhood every night. Its so weird to be a big girl who can drive. :P

ReplySendWatch