Forum: General / Hip Hop / House

House
Beginner to housedance.
By sneezington Comments: 5, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:04 PM

I'm trying to teach myself house dancing through some Youtube tutorials and New School Dictionary and other stuff. I'm learning all the foundational moves first (this is very important to me).
I'd prefer class, but y'know, I can't find any house classes in London. So I practice about an hour or so a day. I've gotta few questions though.

1) How long should I be practicing for?
2) Why is train such a hard move? Ya got any tips for it?
3) Would branching out into different dance styles while I'm so new to house be a good thing, or too much too soon?
4) Any general dance tips? I'm hungry :)

Thank you very much,
Josh.

3 Replies to Beginner to housedance.

re: Beginner to housedance.
By Magnetol Comments: 1, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 08:51 AM
Hi Josh,

In terms of practice, make sure you practice everyday AND any given step you choose for 15 minutes (so yes, doing the same step over and over for 15 minutes!). That will get it in your muscle movement memory and allow you to eventually bring it out without even thinking about it. In terms of daily prctice, I'd start off with about 1 hour per day, if you're really into House!

Alternative styles - you should always be curious to explore other styles of dance, but making sure that those styles don't take away any of your House dancing time, if House is your main priority. Also, maybe you could explore different types of House (from different countries, cities, eras) and figure out the different grooves associated with each one of them? Or, why not explore a style of dance that will complement your House practice, such as Salsa for instance?

Good luck
By sneezington Comments: 5, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Mon Aug 30, 2010 02:24 PM
Thanks a lot, Magnetol. Very helpful tips. Found a house class in London starting sometime in September, so I'll be attending that :D
By JackDaniel Comments: 62, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:58 PM
Edited by JackDaniel (140125) on 2010-08-31 13:05:37
hey man,

ive been studying this style for about 5 years now and let me share with you what ive learned from my exp.

as far as the train being a hard step... it took me literally 2 months to get the muscle memory down to where i could even do the dam step the way its supposed to look. So dont worry about it just keep practicing. Skating is one of the harder styles to grasp.

you can get by with practicing 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time i think. Everyday is good. train foundation only at first dont try to do any variations or anything.

here is a link to some tutorials my buddy Jardy posted for beginners. www.youtube.com . . ..

Most of all explore the music, listen to it all day, love it because without the music there is no dance, and without dance there is no style... see how it all connects?

and dont forget to have fun!

ReplySendWatch