Forum: Guard / Color Guard

I'm Afraid Of Band Camp.
By DidntStrtTheFire
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 02:02 PM

I just joined marching band color guard this year, and I've gotten the hang of it and all. I'm going to be a freshman, but a lot of my friends did marching band last year (but they weren't in guard), in their eighth grade year.

The thing is, I'm scared to go to band camp. I've read so many stories about hazing and just general rudeness to newbies, not to mention how our band totally disrespects our guard. Plus, people from my band have told me some scary stories, about kids getting kicked out, falling over (and then being hated forever) and other stuff like that. (My friends also got in huge trouble for fighting!)

I don't want band camp to ruin my summer (or any of my friendships with the bandos). Any advice on things that could make band camp less painful and more helpful than all my veterans tell me it will be?

Seriously? Thanks. :)

1 Replies to I'm Afraid Of Band Camp.

re: I'm Afraid Of Band Camp.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 03:06 PM
If you're friends with people who are fighting, I'd advise getting close to some different girls. Make friends with all the girls on guard and definitely people from sections of the band. Just be friendly and get to know people. I never knew many people in our guard because they were really clique-y and wouldn't come chill with us band people.

Band camp was always fun for me. Yes, there was a bit of picking on the new people the first day but after that it was nothing. Our band camp was ridiculously hard (and located in a place where it gets extremely hot) but a lot of my best memories from high school happened at band camp.

A lot of these stories that people are telling you are probably to scare you. I doubt you'll get kicked out unless you do something to break the rules...heck, people got caught drinking at one of the band camps I was at and they just got suspended from school for a week and couldn't march at the first 2 games. And if you fall or something, people will laugh and then probably forget about it when someone else does something laughable.

Don't worry about band camp...you're not even there yet! Have fun and make lots of friends!

ReplySendWatch