Poll: Highland / Highland - Choreography

What CD do you like the Best!!!!
By superdancer5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 56, member since Fri Sep 04, 2009
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 04:59 PM

If you like none of these just click on other and if you have any other CD's please reply and say what they are

13 Replies to What CD do you like the Best!!!!

re: What CD do you like the Best!!!!
By leaps55 Comments: 45, member since Tue Apr 29, 2008
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 AM
'Highland Cathedral' by The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards is a personal favourite. There are many tracks, or parts of tracks, that are the actual tunes used for highland dancing. The pipe band CDs are so much cheerier than your normal solo piper on the dancing CDs, and they are therefore much more fun to dance to. Also doing a jig to the likes of Cotton Eyed Joe or Ill Tell Me Ma is always good fun, and a good laugh. Great tunes for choreography!!
By Dancer24601member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 184, member since Mon Jan 12, 2009
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 PM
I really enjoy Strictly Time just because I love the small pipes, especially for the nationalsances! I also like Strictly Time II because they add other instruments on as well! Donald MacPhee's The Complete Collection, Bagpipe Music for Highland Dancing is also great. It has some really different pipe tunes that your not use to hearing. It has some songs that are around seven minutes long devoted to Strathspey work or reel work! Let me tell you there are quite interesting reel tunes! Also features songs for Tribute to J.L. MacKenzie, Broadswords, and Cakewalks!
By Tess1 Comments: 22, member since Wed Jun 18, 2008
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 07:36 PM
I dance to A High Cut Above and I also love the Red Hot Chili Pipers because I danced with them!

Tess
By Celish Comments: 25, member since Sun Aug 14, 2011
On Sat Aug 20, 2011 01:30 PM
Red hot chilly peppers!!! (pipers) :P My dance class made a dance to one of the songs and it was a ton of fun!!!
By ReelFish Comments: 48, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 05:35 PM
How about Celtic Thunder?
By weehighlandlass Comments: 53, member since Sat Oct 13, 2007
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 07:40 PM
I voted other although anything by Alan Walters is always a favorite. Peter Purvis, Lilt the girls love this one. My favorite, Glen Sinclair, It's About Time, the "killer" dances. Not a favorite for the girls though!!.
By animal_mad Comments: 95, member since Tue Aug 16, 2011
On Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 AM
Lilt cds by peter purvis also fling time and fling time 2 by andrew mccowan
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 06:02 PM
I voted for Leap and Rock since it's great for shows and displays for audiences that are less comfortable with bagpipes, because it includes other instruments to "soften" the sound of it.
I love Strictly Time for other purposes, though, as the speed of the music is perfect, and the pipes are very well played and clear.
By knitter99 Comments: 31, member since Sat Mar 12, 2011
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 07:56 PM
My fave for practice is definately Glen Sinclair's "It's About Time", so many options including killer slow tempos and endurance length dances make it a great CD to practice with.
As far as performance, Leap and Rock and Peter Purvis's "Lilt" are nice, I don't practice with them that much but they make a nice change from the full pipes. I am also slightly obessed with the Hullachan on "Lilt" the preview of it on itunes made me buy the whole CD...
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Thu Mar 13, 2014 07:47 PM
I absolutely love leap and rock music, it's just so cool sounding.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 07:22 PM
For set dances I like leap and rock and gary sinclair, but for choreography I love the red hot chilli pipers.
By dancingnatalie Comments: 28, member since Fri Apr 18, 2014
On Sat May 24, 2014 10:01 PM
For regular practices I like Strictly time, but for a more "jumpy" type feel I like red hot chilli pipers
By Celtefan Comments: 241, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon May 26, 2014 03:18 AM
A high cut above from SFU pipe band is the best and finest piping for Highland dancing I've ever listen. As piper, it is for me THE reference.

ReplySendWatch