Poll: Arts / Fiction

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Have you ever written fan fiction?
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Thu Jul 08, 2010 07:18 AM

I've written quite a bit of fanfiction, it helped me on my way to developing a writing style as I didn't have to worry about character development > they were already there.

So, how about you?

29 Replies to Have you ever written fan fiction?

re: Have you ever written fan fiction?
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Jul 08, 2010 08:10 AM
No, but my son does. He's writing his own book someday and does it for practice.

kk~
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:16 AM
Yeap. I'm not proud of it, but it's a fun diversion/ego boost while I work on my real stuff.
By OMGjaimyemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 539, member since Fri Mar 26, 2010
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 PM
QueensJenn wrote:

Yeap. I'm not proud of it, but it's a fun diversion/ego boost while I work on my real stuff.

Ha, exactlyyy! I don't think I've ever admitted to anyone (besides my mother) that I've written fanfiction. I love it, and I love reading it though! I DO consider it excellent practice for the real thing.
By Ladanse Comments: 330, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 09:44 AM
Well..I've tried!! I've written 2, maybe 3, chapters of Charmed fanfic when I was like 12-13. Then I just gave up! Yeahh..creative writing is not my forte!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:08 AM
I have. It's been some time, but I've written a few pieces - both from ER. The first piece, I basically rewrote a scene from the show, and the second, I wrote my own. I'm sure they're out there online somewhere, but I wouldn't even know how to find them now. :D
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 01:16 PM
yep! I've written one story for twilight (which i got bored with and gave it up with one chapter left =/) and one for avatar: the last airbender (which is going very well. i have 9 chapters i think, but i'm hitting writer's block at the moment). Has anyone else posted their story or stories on a website like fanfiction.net? I post mine there to receive critiques/criticism/other thoughts from people who are not my friends or parents! I get a lot of positive feedback and it's really helpful in the critiques that I do get, to know that I can fix them on the next chapter!
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 03:21 PM
^^ Yeah, I have 2 accounts on fanfiction.net (one for good stuff, one for old stuff), an account on Scribd (good original stuff) and fictionpress.com (bad original stuff)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 06:29 PM
Only as a writing exercise and for laughs, with an online collaborator - we used to try and out-do ourselves with how outrageous we could be while still staying in the realm (and avoiding devolving into slash - barf!) Never did it seriously, though.

The best fanfic I ever read was a LOTR-based one called "Don't Panic" (and it's follow-up "OK, Now Panic"). She was an incredibly talented writer.
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 08:33 PM
^^ Haha, I love slash XD. I'm awful.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 08:37 PM
Nope. Feels like cheating, plus I never like anyone else's characters enough to use them :P
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1483, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:09 AM
I tried it once, it was called Titanic 2: The Second Brigade.
(It had nothing to do with armies, obviously, but it sounded cool.)

It took place as if Titanic had never sunk and when Rose was planning on going with Jack after the ship docked, Lovejoy was ordered by Cal and her family to get her when they got off and Jack said for her to wait for him or something. Rose was constantly bullied by Cal and hated her life, and one day (1 or 2 years after they sailed on Titanic) while going to the store to buy some minor groceries because she offered to do it for the maid, she took a detour through the park. While sitting on a bench, behind the bushes, she heard a familiar voice, and she looked behind the bushes and there was Jack & Fabrizio! :D They kissed and made a plan to run away together two days later and they did and I stopped after there because I didn't know what else I wanted to happen without the story turning into something freakishly long.

I find fan fiction kind of hard because you can't really create it all yourself, you have to go by standards someone's already set themselves.
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:52 AM
I have but I dont like it. I like to create my own characters and watch them come alive! Fan fic isn't really like that at all, it feels kinda like a cheap knock off of the real thing.

This is my personal opinion, some people love fan fics and theyre amazing at it!
By SilverInsanity Comments: 334, member since Sun Dec 23, 2007
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:10 PM
Yes, I have. I haven't gotten into writing original fiction yet. Almost everything I've written is on my fanfiction account, Vividus.

But anyways. I noticed that some people think that fanfiction is a cheap knock-off and the like. I don't really think that's true. Because while it's easier than creating your own characters and staying in your own world, I also find it difficult to stick to the characters that other people have made and not twist them to whatever purpose you want that they won't usually do. So in general, I guess, it means I find it hard to keep canon characters in character.

So it's not very, very easy. The fanfic I wrote when I was 12 is terrible and horrifically OOC. The stuff I write now is a bit better, but not by much. XD
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Thu Aug 19, 2010 05:51 AM
My guilty pleasure. I could never admit that openly in my real life I think.. it would ruin my name and reputation as a scientific writer.

I've written around 50 fanfictions, mostly one-shots, but plenty of multiple chapter things as well. Most things were written when I was younger, and I developed quite a reputation in the circles that read fanfictions.. but that's been a while. Nowadays I work on a few things, but it's going slow. Writing professionally takes the joy out of doing it for fun! And maybe I've grown up a bit. Oh, those old times..
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 AM
I resorted to fanfiction (The X-Files, anyone remember that show from the 1990s?) for my NaNoWriMo. Bleh, I thought I could try something original, but 50,000 words in 30 days called for desperate measures ...
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 AM
I've considered doing my own re-write of Twilight fixing some of the problem spots that I skip over. Or even trying to finish midnight sun, because it doesn't seem like she will anytime soon. :?

Other than that, no, but I've read some. Perhaps that's something I should get more into--I'm having such troubles buying books fast enough to keep up with my reading habits. I've reread all the books on my shelves at least 2 times if they were purchased within the past year and at least 5 times for all the others. My favorites get read every few months. Still, I could use some new material.
By what11 Comments: 20, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 04:50 PM
Did a Dr Wh one before.. never finshed it mind you
By what11 Comments: 20, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 08:37 AM
Ive done a dr who one too lol. I'm doing a Star Wars one at the moment.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 09:48 AM
I've done some but I admit I don't like telling anyone I know in real life where it is! It was supposed to be my anonymous form of escape, to hang out with characters that I grew up watching. I didn't expect it to get as many reviews as it did. I admit, when I'm feeling down I go read those reviews, lol!

Strangely enough, I find it harder to do fanfiction than original sci-fi. With original, I make the rules of the world and I build the OCs. But with an already set template you have to be careful to stay true to someone else creation and not only is that more difficult for myself, I also feel an obligation not to have them behaving in ways I know they never would, and if I do I feel like I need to have a darned good reason besides 'well I just felt like it'. Because when I do fanfic, I want it to be good, not throwaway stuff.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 PM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2010-12-27 12:11:45
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2010-12-27 12:13:09
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2010-12-27 12:57:37 My spelling on DDN is rubbish!
To those that have written Fanfics, do you have any tips you could share on how to write a good Fanfic? Do you make a plan before you start? If so, how do you plan it? What other things do you need to take into consideration?

I've read online that some say to plan, whereas others just say to go with the flow. I'm curious as I want to have a bash at my own fanfic, but I'm having trouble trying to get the ideas in my head into writing.

I read a really, really good one the other day that managed to keep the characters true to how they would behave, but also managed to change them as the story developed in a convincing way. I'm finding as others have said in this thread, that keeping the characters true to how they are portrayed is very tricky.

I did start writing a little bit, but coming back to it today I'm really, really not happy with it. It can at best be described as horrific.

Claire.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 PM
I'm such a dork, I didn't even know what fanfiction was until a few years ago when the company girls at my studio and I were lamenting about the "Harry Potter drought"....obviously before the series was complete.

I said, "I'm surprised someone hasn't picked up the ball and written their own sequel. The girls all laughed and said, "Oh THEY HAVE....FAN FICTION!"

I've been tempted, but I don't know how to get started and my time is better spent working on my own work.

I finally got a copy of the lit mag that published my last story. Every time I see my name on the top of the page I feel famous!

Like I said...yeah...I'm a dork!

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Jan 02, 2011 06:08 AM
Claire: Since my characters have been around for so long (since the early 1990s -- doesn't that make me old? LOL), I've come to know the characters pretty well and that has helped me a lot.

What really helped me was to read lots and lots and lots of fan fiction by others. This really made the characters come to life even more because fan fic authors necessarily have to add character traits that the original characters may not have (had), and while some of these traits are unwelcome, some other traits (or habits, future children etc ;) ) add such depth that you can build whole stories on what an anonymous fan invented. Last night the second X-Files movie was on TV and I watched itof course -- but the original characters are no longer the characters I work with > I have my own version of Mulder and Scully who are much dearer to me because they were created by the fans of the show, and I don't mind at all.

And the most important thing: be proud of whatever you create. Don't worry about whether the original creator might agree with what you're having your characters do > fan fiction is your chance to let your favorite characters do what you think they should do. My first few stories are cramped and badly written, but the characters are alive - I guess the reception of their signal was still very bad and we needed to finetune the reception.

I like writing original fiction and coming up with original characters -- but time and again I come back to my fan fiction, because it's such familiar territory. It's not always easier (that is the biggest myth I think, that fan fiction is the easy version of fiction), but it is always comfortable.
re: Have you ever written fan fiction? (karma: 1)
By PowerPointe Comments: 537, member since Fri Nov 21, 2008
On Fri Jan 21, 2011 09:08 PM
I have made up fan fiction (mostly Star Trek-related) since I was a little kid. It wasn't until fairly recently that I knew there was a name for it and that lots of people did it; it was always "Hey, I made up another story again." I should write some of it down and put it online sometime... hmm.
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Fri Jan 21, 2011 09:38 PM
I used to write fanfiction on the Meg Cabot boards (a famous-ish YA author, there was a whole board dedicated to FF) quite awhile ago. I had one story that I worked on everyday from, like, ages 12-14. Too bad I never saved it, I'm sure it would be amusingly bad now. I wonder if I could find it in archives somewhere...
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch