Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

confident... or not?
By PointeDancer07
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 06:59 PM

Hey everyone, I have been having a problem with my confidence for a while now. I know a lot of girls in high school do, but i kind of just need some support and tips. I constantly just think all of my friends are so much prettier than i am. whenever we take pictures or meet new people, im always thinking do they even notice me... like am i the odd one out? A lot of people make comments to me about being too thin. Im not too thin, i try to explain that im a dancer and that requires you to be fit. I have a lot of freckles and it's really hard to not think that they are making me ugly. I just look at pictures of my self and think that im not pretty... this post is not for sympothy i just need to vent a little. If you have any helpful tips or things to help me gain back confidence please let me know. thanks

3 Replies to confident... or not?

re: confident... or not?
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 07:18 PM
Honestly? Talk to your friends. Chances are, they look at those same pictures and think the same thing about themselves.
By dancin_til_death
On Tue Jul 13, 2010 08:01 AM
Something that took me a while to learn is that you are never going to feel good about comparing yourself to others. ESPECIALLY looks wise. As no matter how hard you try, you won't look like them. I had a few friends who had oval faceshapes, and I heard in a magazine that oval was the best shape to have. Let me tell you its pretty hard to turn your face into oval when you have a heart shaped face. Do you know the stupid thing though? When I first went to university the most gorgeous girl I found had a square face.

You have to look at yourself and embrace it. I love my eyes, my long legs and my confidence. I know its scary, but once you do it,you never look back and you glow with it.
By madseasonPremium member
On Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 PM
Sometimes when I feel really bad like this I'll do an exercise a therapist taught me years ago. I make a list of all the things I like about myself or my life- just the positives. For example: I love where I live. I like my green eyes. I am flexible. I draw quite well....

You get the point.

I try to write about twenty things. After a while it can get really hard if I am having a bad day. I'll start writing pretty specific things because I run out of positive things and that is when the exercise becomes really useful because it forces you to really focus on seeing things in a positive light. So even though I don't love my body I might write "my body is capable of creating beautiful movement" and I genuinely believe that. So this is a really good exercise for helping to build confidence and help you see your own beauty. I know it sounds silly- and you even feel silly doing it, but I find it useful. Hope it helps. :)

ReplySendWatch