Forum: General / Modern / Praise/Liturgical

Praise/Liturgical
My student just informed me about praise
By justafan Comments: 24, member since Thu Jan 01, 2009
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 09:06 PM

I have a student who just enlightened me (somewhat) on praise dancing. She practices it, but did a lousy job of explaining it, describing it. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me? Any good examples?

5 Replies to My student just informed me about praise

re: My student just informed me about praise
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 09:24 PM
My experience in this area is basically dance as a form of praise. We used flags, but a lot of the movements were very, VERY lyric-based and the songs were very VERY religious. Still fun though :) It all depends on the church or group though.
By onedance Comments: 2, member since Thu Jul 15, 2010
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 09:20 AM
Hi I am the owner of a Praise dance company in Odessa, TX and I thought I would attempt to answer your question about praise dance.

Praise dance is a dance that is done unto God/Jesus in worship and praise. When done before a congregation or audience it should take those watching to a place where they can have an experience with God. True praise dance is unique to the individual dancer and it is more spiritual than it is technical; although technical training allows the dancer to be more expressive and diverse in their movements. Unlike the secular dancer, praise dancers should not be focused on self; it is all about God. Being a praise dancer is almost like being a preacher or worship leader. The praise dancer uses their body and movement to relay the gospel message and to take believers and non-believers into the presence of God.
When done as a company of dancers choreography is involved, however, the movements should be inspired by the Holy Spirit; and the dancers should be on one accord spiritual. This allows for the anointing to fall. When dancing before people the anointing is critical because it is the anointing that carry's the presence of God.

I hope that helped.

Peace & Blessings!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 09:56 AM
Onedance, that sounds FANTASTIC! Do you have any videos?
By onedance Comments: 2, member since Thu Jul 15, 2010
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 01:53 PM
Panic, I do have videos online, however, I don't know what the future may bring.

Here are a few videos of some dancers who praise/liturgical dance. You will notice that they all have different styles, but their focus is all the same, Jesus! I hope you are blessed by them.

www.youtube.com . . .
www.tangle.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .

Peace & Blessings
By justafan Comments: 24, member since Thu Jan 01, 2009
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 03:12 PM
Thanks, Onedance, for the succinct explanation and the links. I am enlightened.

ReplySendWatch