Forum: Irish / Irish - Achievements

Freedom!!!!!!!!!!! (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 07:31 AM

Sort of dance related because it means I can come back...

I'M FREE OF PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My doctor essentially told me that there was nothing else they could do so I would have to deal with it by myself in dance. :D I'm soo happy though!!! It's what I was hoping they would say!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I can dance be free and happy!!!!! :D Yeah that's my mini happy rant. :D

~Boleyngrrl~

13 Replies to Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!

re: Freedom!!!!
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 07:36 AM
*happy dance* That is so awesome and exciting; I know what it's like to deal with injuries. Physio can really wear you down, so it's great you will be back in those dancing shoes soon! :)
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 08:04 AM
*does Reel in place of happy dance*

That's amazing news! Great to hear your all mended and reading to hit the dance floor! What was the physical therapy for, your broken foot?
By boleyngrrl
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 AM
Heheh no, I wish. At least then it probably would have been solved quickly. :D No, I originally had an extra bone in my foot, and when I sprained my ankle in Oct. '07, then started PT in APril '08 to try and fix it without surgery (from Feb-Apr I was in a boot), then I went back to dance in Sept '08 until Dec '08, because in October I'd hurt my knee and hip, as well as re-injured my foot. I was still at PT doing something called step 2, which was essentially PT without a therapist. That led to another Jan-May '09 PT session, when they essentially told me they couldn't fix my foot. So I had surgery to remove the extra bone in Aug '09, which actually went alright, but, my 3rd dance class back (April 1st '10) I injured my knee and hip and was out of dance again, with another PT session April-July '10. And now I'm FREEEE !!!!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:11 AM
Not that I want to p*** on your bonfire, but...

They told you "there's nothing more we can do?" Did they actually say those words? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me. Not at all. If they're telling you they can't make it better then they're also basically telling you that dancing is out. Can you get a second opinion? Did they definitely tell you that it is safe to dance?

I know you're mega excited but please please please please PLEASE take it slowly. Your back catalogue of injuries is pretty intense and it sounds as if you might be someone who always rushes back they're not completely healed, only to injure the same thing or something else. Please don't go back to class all guns blazing...build back up slowly.

When physios tell you that you're okay to continue with your activities, they don't ever mean go straight back in at a high level. They are telling you that you are ready to TRY it again, stop if you don't feel ready, and take everything very carefully.

:?
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 09:29 AM
^^ Actually, they are not saying dancing is out. At all. They are finally admitting they have no idea what we as IDers do or how to treat it! I have gone to so many "second" opinions, but they are letting me treat it now.

Believe me, the last thing I'm going to do is go back too fast. I don't want to get stuck back where I've been (in other words, going nowhere but down). They definately told me it was safe to dance. And I do know how to go back from injuries, I just sometimes have bad luck.

And I'm still SOOOOOO psyched to be freaking OUT of that place!!!!! XD XD XD XD XD XD XD Its about time!!!!!!! I've been too cooped up for too long!!! First feis back is Long Island August 1st!!!!!!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:23 PM
^ Your first feis is three weeks after returning? That's rushing it in my book.
re: Freedom!!!! (karma: 1)
By boleyngrrl
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 01:56 PM
No offense Louise, but why are you always such a downer? I'm really happy, and you totally are trying to you-know-what in my bonfire, as you put it. (But I'm still happy)

Everyone's body is different, so what is rushing it in your book may actually be fine with mine. I have pulled off much more than preparing for one feis in three weeks. That is quite do-able for me. Also, I was supposed to do two other feiseanna, both of which fell through, earlier this month. The other thing is, this is not my first week back. I've been dancing at about 30-50% constantly since the end of May. So actually, this is my 9th week back. And I am taking it very slow. After 15 years of dance, I'm not going to let another stupid injury take me out again.

And dude, I've been through so much in the past few years, as I know lots of people have, so can't I be happy since I'm finally allowed to get somewhere without PTs telling me to do stuff that heals my body temporarily but the second I go back to dance I fall apart since the exercises they give me don't prepare me to go back to the high-impact, high-intensity sport of ID? You seem to know a lot about irish dance, especially the anatomical aspects, so I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.

And I'm excited to be back. After over 2.5 years not allowed to dance full out, I'm finally allowed to be back. And I will be ready. If I don't have time to qualify this year, fine. That gives me more time to be prepared for next year. And I will be back full force and more by this time next year- that is my goal. And I will achieve it.

Good luck to everyone else out there, injured and not! Determination is key to change- so stay determined!!! :D
By LoRo
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 02:06 PM
Wow, it must feel great to finally be able to fully 'go for it' after so long going at half pace. Good luck at the feis, I hope you do really well.

and fingers-crossed for an injury free future :)
By irishreel
On Tue Jul 20, 2010 05:00 AM
I totally agree with Louise, take your time to come back to dance, rest if you feel pain and consult your doctor. Be patient and you'll se that you'll be able to work pretty well in the near future.
Just take it slowly and listen to your body if you have any form of pain.
Good luck!
By ghilliegirlan
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 05:21 PM
That's so great for you, I've been pulled out of dance for injuries before and it was so annoying. I understand why alot of you are saying to take it slow and stop if you feel pain but she's not the only person who has been told that their is nothing doctors can do anymore, I was told the same thing and I had the choice to either stop dancing or dance through the pain, I chose dancing. I hope you do great at your next feis and enjoy being free of physical therapy :)

-Ashley
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 04:55 PM
WOO HOO! I know how that feels to finally get out of physical therapy... I ripped my calf muscle so it felt really good to finally get out of the cast, and the physical therapy!!!
By DutchShamrock
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:25 PM
So happy for you. My youngest daughter LOVES dancing and it was moderately depressing to watch her sit on the sofa and hand dance for 2 months.
Very glad to hear you're back. :0)
By boleyngrrl
On Fri Aug 13, 2010 08:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support! :D I'm back around 50-75% right now, but my stamina still stinks. :P But I'm happy to be back and free from docs telling me what to do, and so far I've been doing alright!!! Thank you all again!!!! :)

ReplySendWatch