Forum: Music / Music & Songs

What are your thoughts on dancing to a song that is about a disturbing topic such as suicide?
By RoyaleBallerina
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 PM
Edited by RoyaleBallerina (182140) on 2010-07-14 22:16:28

I'm trying to figure out what solo song I want to use an I came across this really pretty sounding song by one of my favorite artists Regina spektor. Only one problem it is about suicide. I wouldn't have a problem with it as it hits close to home and feel it might help and such. But I'm more worried what the audience and judges would think of a song like this. The song is called "no surprises" originally by radiohead cover by Regina spektor. It is such a pretty tune and doesn't say it in any horrible way or anything. Let me know what you think!!

I'm a senior by the way. Just so you don't think i'm really young and goin to dance to this song =]

5 Replies to What are your thoughts on dancing to a song that is about a disturbing topic such as suicide?

re: What are your thoughts on dancing to a song that is about a disturbing topic such as suicide?
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2010-07-15 00:37:36
I adore that song, both the radiohead and the Regina Spektor version.

Suicide is a pretty heavy topic, but I've always been of the opinion that dance can be a very emotional experience and if you can dance out emotions that heavy, then you should go for it. It could lead to a very organic and pretty performance.

Besides which, unless you really sat down and read the lyrics or had them explained to you, you probably wouldn't know what the song was about. Most people in your audience wont be listing that intently to the lyrics, they'll be watching you dance. The song is actually very peaceful and pretty.

If you don't feel like you could get away with it, Regina Spektor has a lot of other pretty songs with similar lovley melodies.

I've choreographed a piece to the Radiohead song before. At least when Thom Yorke is singing it, the 'carbon monoxide' part is really hard to understand because he drawls it out. I think that is the only give away line in the song that makes it seem morbid.

I say go for it.
re: What are your thoughts on dancing to a song that is about a disturbing topic such as suicide?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 07:02 AM
It really depends on the venue. A Concert, sure. A recital, it depends on the studio owner/rest of the show. A competition, meh-maybe but I wouldn't. A fundraiser, depends on what the fundraiser is. Self-designed show, absolutely.

Context is more important than content, i think. Almost anything can be appropriate, it just depends on what's around it.
By enajirac
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 08:59 AM
Yeah, I completely agree. The owner of my studio doesn't allow any songs that have a really sad theme to them. It kind of sucks sometimes cause I feel like the recital's missing a lot of strong emotion to it, but at the same time, there's something really nice about having every song happy and cheery.
I would definitely talk to the owner/whoever runs the program and get their views on it. Unless everyone else's songs are sad, I think it adds a lot of dimension to the show.
By RibenaRockstar
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 PM
Could you use a karaoke version? That is, without the lyrics.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 04:38 AM
I don't know in your part of the world, but here typically neo and contemporary solos have a heavy theme. We just have a thing for sad things. Songs like this often go well at comps cause people can really draw emotion out. Definitely think you're old enough for it too. I love the song and think the lyrics aren't too graphic. I think it would be a great dance and you should do it!

The only things that are really no no's content wise is excessive swearing or really sexual content lyrics. Especially for little kids. Judges often comment on that.

ReplySendWatch