Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

I have officially driven clean for 1 year!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 02:56 PM

I just realized I have had my license for just over a year now and my record is totally clean! No speeding tickets, no parking tickets, no accidents!

I am very proud of myself for this. A lot of my friends had accidents their first year driving (my 1 friend is on to her 3rd car) and nearly all of them speed and get tickets.

I am just hoping I can keep this up for the next 40 or so years.

7 Replies to I have officially driven clean for 1 year!

re: I have officially driven clean for 1 year!
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 04:28 PM
It will save you some serious cash in the long run!

I'm just about 7 years driving with a clean record and whenever I switch insurance and they are doing the whole tickets/accidents/claims interview they always seem surprised there is nothing on my record.

I know some friends who got so many tickets they just cant afford to drive due to the insurance cost - its high enough with a clean record!

Absolutly something to be proud of!
By Ayokamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 04:38 PM
That is a big accomplishment! You're most at risk during those first 6 months - year. Keep it up and it will definitely serve you well later on :)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 05:26 PM
^Congrats Felicia,

An interesting thing I also just discovered about car insurance...in addition to having a spotless record is that insurance companies also look at your credit ratings. I just found that out when my insuror called me up suggesting I could save a bundle by switching to a different type of policy within their company...something to do with a mutual company vice a stock company...whatever.)

I've had no moving violations in 52 years of driving and only 3 warnings - two on the same day LOL...the Texas cops (I'm a Maryland resident) were looking for a car just like the one I rented and they had to think of something to stop me for. One was for going 5 mph over the limit and the other was a turn signal violation for changeing lanes (not even a law in Maryland.) I guess the figured it was futile to ticket me - Maryland and Texas do not have reciprocity for minor traffic violations.

Jon
By rosalinde
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 02:18 AM
Well done! Keep driving that way and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank (not to mention that insurance companies love drivers like you and will gladly do business with you). Paying lower rates and no damage will offset the high gas prices nicely.

In the past 12 years I've had four speeding tickets (all of them under 5 mph too fast so apart from paying a small fine there are no further actions) and I haven't hit anything yet (knock on wood!). My insurance company has a special women-only insurance which is really good value for money if you also keep accident-free.

Driving fast is nice for the race track, but on the open road, we need more drivers like you!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone!

My insurance company is awesome. I started off paying $139 a month and after 3 months they knocked it down to $121 a month and after a year I am now only paying $91 a month so I am already noticing a huge savings.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 01:17 PM
^Make sure you shop around every time your insurance comes up for renewal. A lot of times, your current company will still be the best deal, but you never know unless you do your research. Different companies have different programs for rewarding safe drivers, so make sure you are looking at and comparing those as well, because some of those can really save you a lot of money.

And congrats! I definitely had at least two tickets within my first six months of driving, and almost everyone else I know had an accident within that same time frame, so you're doing great. :)
re: I have officially driven clean for 1 year! (karma: 1)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 01:15 AM
Yay!

I've been driving now 8 years, with a perfect record :)

I'm quite pleased with that!

ReplySendWatch