Forum: Irish / Irish - Achievements

:) :) :)
By reeldancer123
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 07:53 PM
Edited by reeldancer123 (221515) on 2010-07-15 20:30:57 spellingg

I posted a post about sending my old dance teacher an email a little bit ago about starting back into dance after about 2 years off. I took some of the suggestions andddddd My teacher said I could come back!! Im so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

But, im sooo out of shape.

This is to dancers who have left and come back- how did you get back into shape? and how were you able to learn the steps quickly?

Thankss!
Meg

5 Replies to :) :) :)

re: :) :) :)
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 08:01 PM
Oooh, congrats!

I haven't stopped for a long period of time or anything, but I hope this helps.

- Swimming - Great for stamina and light work, if you have any niggles.

- Bike riding - Same as swimming

- Skipping - Great for cardiovascular endurance, one of the best ways to keep stamina up.

- Walking

As for your steps, practice your old ones. Go through the basics, try and make those perfect, then work your way up to your old level.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 08:08 PM
A triple smiley face title! I just had to check it out this assuringly great news and I've never even been an Irish dancer! ;)

It's good you get to go back!

To get back in shape, power walking is a good one, so is jogging after you can do power walking fairly easily. Bike riding is great for anyone, whether you need training wheels or not. I'm sure after a couple months of classes, you'll get back into your old ways though.
By irishdancer701
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 09:06 PM
I was only out for two months but i joined a new school and they worked much harder and had way more difficult steps.

The first class i just had to keep a smile on my face (2 months is a long time in ID) because i was about to die i was so out of shape and everyone was so in shape. I totally agree with RAID_Babe on how to get back into shape.

For the steps, I video taped the teacher doing them and then when ever i just sat around i would watch the videos and practice the steps on my hands just to get the movement. One piece of advice if you video tape is, tape the steps separately (like 1, 2, 3 not 123 ) and label them (like: reel 1, reel 2, treble jig 1, treble jig 2) just so you don't get confused on the order of the steps.
By RinceorNosretep
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 AM
I have been in and out, in and out constantly for the past two years due to money issues, it's so FRUSTRATING!!! Everyone posting before me pretty much nailed it on getting back in shape. For me, I start practicing the steps that I do know before going back, and when the actual class starts I'm still out of shape but I push through it. Learning new steps has always been astonishingly easy for me, however what kills me is getting my body to actually do it! I just need to practice at home more.
Congradulations on going back to class, I hope it goes really well and you enjoy it! =)
By Jitchiwahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 07:54 AM
Good luck with going back - have fun!

have done the "going back" thing too many times, thanks to injuries etc. Getting back into it can be a bit of a shock to the system, specially if you're time off/retirement has involved little physical activity!!

Start of easy. Don't expect to be able to get back into doing full classes at your old level straight away. You won't!! Your muscles will have weakened and your stamina will be pretty much gone. So start slow and build it up.

You may find the legs and feet are somewhat weaker after the time off, so consider using blochs or similar more supportive/padded shoes to start off with to give your feet more padding and support. Then gradually get back to wearing real shoes.

Also, look after your legs and feet. Make sure you are stretching a lot, before and after your classes. This will prepare them for the excercise, and help them recover afterwards, clearing out lactic acid and gunk so they don't hurt as much. It will also help ease out muscle knots. Also consider massage (even if you do it yourself after classes) to help maintain the muscles so they can cope beter with this sudden increase of activity and impact!

As for learning, video is an excellent idea. Also writing down the steps. Different things work for different people. And don't try and learn too much too quick. There comes a point where you will get brain overload.. too many steps going in in one night will end up with them all being muddled or being lost altogether!! lol. Better to just concentrate on a couple steps to start with, less steps to remember means you'll remember them better.

ReplySendWatch