Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Need help getting back into shape for tryouts!
By cassie0828
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 09:29 PM

I want to try out for the dance team at my college next year. I have danced for eight years, but decided not to do dance for the past year. What can I do to get back into shape for tryouts in a little over a month? For tryouts, I need to have solid split leaps, switch leaps, single, double, triples, splits, and fouettes. My split leaps, splits, and pirouettes are still decent, but I would like to impove them. BUT my switch leaps and fouettes are a mess! HELP ME!!!

1 Replies to Need help getting back into shape for tryouts!

re: Need help getting back into shape for tryouts!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 AM
Start with the basics and a few practises a week, then increase the skill of the stuff you are doing and the duration over the weeks. You should be able to regain alot of your old skill through practice, and it would help if you took some classes with a teacher? Stretch regularly and strengthen (particularly core). By slowing incresing the load, you will slowly build stamina and not risk injury or pushing yourself too much from your dance absence.

For switch leaps, practise the action by hopping on one leg putting it up to the front and then powerfully sweeping it through to the back. Work on lots of sautes and jumping exercise to gain the height to be able to complete the switch leap.

For fouettes, weight placement and action is important. Practise the action at the barre hitting each position (fonde leg in front, fonde leg to the side, releve with leg in retire) use your turnout and try and make the action smooth and the height of the leg similar throughout, do not drop the leg too much at any point. Holding your core and making sure your shoulders are over your toes helps alot in fouettes. Prep always with a deep plie, it'll help to a good starting push. Synchronize your arms to help with the fouettes, in second when your leg is in second, first when you are in retire). Practise spotting by staring at a spot at the wall with hands on shoulders and slowly step spin, keeping head level and at the front as long as possible before whipping it around. Practise the action faster and try spinning in quick procession-helping with multiple spins.

Good luck with the tryouts!

ReplySendWatch