Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

I just am looking for advice from anyone.....
By dancer0010
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:27 PM

Hi I am 19 years old I have been a competitive dancer since the age of seven dance was my life I love it so much. This past year both of my parents passed away. I am now taking care of my two younger siblings with my older sister. Since everything is different now my sister had me take a year of dance. I am lost I don't know what to I don't want to lose my skills or my muscle. My strengths are flexibility and jumps my weakness is turns. I have always had a coach I have never really trained much on my own so I don't know what to do I am just wondering if anyone can give me exercises or even tell me a routine to follow anything at all would help. I used to dance three days a week making it about 6-12 hours of dance I don't dance at all now and it is hard to work out a lot with kids I don't have time to go to a gym. I have already gained 15 pounds from not dancing. I just don't know what to do now, any advice would be great!

Thank you for taking time to read this, I am not asking for sympathy just advice.

7 Replies to I just am looking for advice from anyone.....

re: I just am looking for advice from anyone.....
By emmaleex99
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I won't dwell on it, though, if you don't want me to.

First of all, I had to read your post like three times to understand what you were trying to say. Run on sentences are really annoying to read :/

Second, is it a money issue or a time commitment issue? If you had to stop dance because of the money, you should be able to get some support, especially if you've been at the same studio for a while and they know you there. It could be anything from a scholarship to a way to work for your tuition, but you gotta ask for it. If it's a time commitment issue, I can't really offer a ton of advice, because I've never been in your position - but would it be possible to take fewer classes, instead of just cutting out dance completely?
By LoriCook
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:34 PM
What a tough position you are in! Mothers always find it hard to carve out a bit of time for themselves and you have been put into the mother's position. You will have to be very dedicated and self-disciplined to keep up your dancing.

It is a bit easier when the kids are in school but during the summer it can be really tricky. You have to plan out blocks of time when the kids will be doing something and you can dance. Maybe your sister or a friend can help you and it also helps to have friendly neighbors.

You will also have to find a decent place to dance if you don't have room at home. For example: our nearby park has a basketball court that doesn't get used. Do the routines and exercises you were doing in class. You may not progress since you don't have a teacher but you will at least be able to keep the skills you have and get some good exercise.

I agree with emmalee, maybe dancing one time a week in a studio would be an option and do the practices on your own during the week. Even if it is for 30 minutes a day it will help.
By dancer0010
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 03:36 PM
Thank you so much for answering. Sorry about the run on sentences.
It isn't a money issue my coach is willing to work with me anyway she can. I have an hour on Saturdays that I can use the studio. My problem is I don't know what to do to get back into shape, I haven't danced in 5 months. Are there exercises I could do that would get me in shape but also help with my dancing? What is the most important thing to focus on skill wise? What are the easiest skills to lose? I hope that helped explain what I was trying to say.
By forgetxmexnot
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 06:26 PM
I've taken a year off from dance too, so I know how you feel. I really missed it. Things that you lose while not dancing really varies from person to person, but for me it was definitely strength. I lost a bit of flexibility too, but I'm dancing again and still very flexible. My main thing is definitely strength. It's kind of strange, because you still know in your mind how to do things, and you still have muscle memory left, but things still feel different.

I'm a bit confused... are you taking class for an hour on Saturday or just working by yourself? I would definitely take a class if I were you, that would help you get into shape the fastest. But if you can't, just try some stretches, using a theraband, and some plies and tendus.
By dancer0010
On Sat Jul 17, 2010 07:36 PM
No I am not taking classes there are no classes just team. I live in an area where good studios are hard to find it is mainly just teams.
By forgetxmexnot
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 03:13 PM
I see. Do you have any pilates classes available near you? Those would really help get you into shape too.
By dancer0010
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 09:15 PM
I will look into that thank you all for answering :]

ReplySendWatch